Why not legalized all drugs?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    WayneAnsellposted 14 years ago

Many States are currently thinking about legalizing some form of marijuana or allowing lesser penalties for users.

Why shouldn't we legalize all drugs from cocaine to heroin?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

marijuana is only an upper and high medicinal value, heroin and cocaine can have more hallucinogens and lead to brain damage,

opening all to drugs lead to abuse,,,,

look at what is happening in Amsterdam///they open coffee shops which sells marijuana and now they also sell cocaine and others

1. profile image0
        WayneAnsellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

marijuana is actually a downer and considered a hallucinogen by medical classification.

would opening all drugs to legalization really lead to abuse? would those not using cocaine now suddenly start if it were legal?

2. ddsurfsca profile image71
        ddsurfscaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and you got this information from where?  I have been a heroin user for over 30 years, and I am here to say that there is not hallucinogens in it and my college entrance exam says that I am just as intelligent last year as I  was 25 years ago when i took it the first time.  Dont quote something you made up

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Alcohol, Tobacco, Paper, Oil, and Pharmaceutical lobbyists in Washington against legalization...

3. double_frick profile image61
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

didn't mexico city just legalize all drugs recently?
      anyways, the war on drugs is BIG business for america, we would no sooner shut down wal mart than the war on drugs.
      of course, the drugs you mention are not kind drugs (i'm sure most will think me silly to imply that ANY are kind. haha) but just because coke, heroin, meth are bad drugs and imo pretty disgusting and wasteful for a human to do, it SHOULD be ones own choice to waste it so.

so, i'm progressive and not in a bipartisan way. haha
      live and let live.

but america LOVES its money and LOVES to be treated like angsty teens...
      they want to whine and cry about all the rules but they'd die without them, or they think they would ;P

4. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know one thing, alot of lil gang-bangers would be broke tomorrow.

Along with alot of Cartels.

And Dr.s can manage addiction, rather than claim to cure it.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually that would be one good reason FOR legalising drugs. It would financially ruin the criminal gangs, and no doubt stop a lot of house-breaking and robberies as the junkies would have a legal, and no doubt much cheaper, way of getting their fixes.

5. MikeNV profile image67
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm for legalizing any drug with legitimate medical uses.

Prescription Drugs are legal.  And you get them from a Doctor.  Heroin, Meth, and Cocaine have no proven medicinal use to my knowledge.

So legal or not it wouldn't make any difference as the supply would still be underground.

But what would be the effect of legalize marijuana?  Would this prevent or escalate recreational drug use?

Those are some serious questions.  Would the increased supply result in less crime.

Serious issues.

6. drej2522 profile image70
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Legalize all drugs...hmmm, sounds like a Libertarian!

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Drugs should all remain illegal to protect the young.

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Legallity of a drug never stopped a drug addict.  Young or old.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, but unavailability does. OK we all know the current laws are a joke and the police don't enforce the laws stringently enough, so the countries are flowing with illegal drugs, but legalisation also means legitimisation and some youngsters may end up taking them 'because they can', not because they wanted to.

It's the young all currently illegal drugs cause the most harm to. That's also why under 18's aren't legally allowed to drink and smoke - their bodies and minds are still growing and developing.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The funny thing is that for me it was easier and cheeper to get when I was young, the day I hit 18 it all changed. I could not get a dose of LSD or crystal meth if my life depended on it (I have tried both of those due to it being easy to get) and finding weed is more work then its worth! How much protection is it really giving the young having this stuff illegal when its kids who have the easiest time getting it cheep? At least if the government tried to control it there would be a better chance of protecting kids from getting stuff thats laced and of course they could set the price higher then kids can usually afford.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image56
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This ^

Getting hold of smoke these days is a nightmare, but when I was a teenager I knew dozens of people at any one time that I could buy anything from easily, it was much easier to get drugs than alcohol.

3. theageofcake profile image62
      theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If kids want it, they will find it, regardless of legality.  Think about how many kids drink while underage.  Not to mention alcohol abuse can be far more dangerous than smoking marijuana.

3. profile image0

it's true, making drugs a crime does not stop the young from using now.

4. profile image0

so would things be better or worse if all drugs were legalized?

why not legalize all drugs? what are the arguments against legalizing?

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Too many people make a living off war on drugs. It can't just stop. smile

Happy New Year! smile

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You did it again, Misha.  Took the words right out of my mouth, that is. big_smile

5. profile image0

i don't think legalizing all drugs would increase use. if you want to do drugs, you do them. if you are against drug use, you wouldn't really change your mind if they were suddenly legal.

as far as kids go, most are more likely to abuse drugs because they are told not to. they rebel naturally againt authority. lessen the grip a little and it's no "fun" to rebel anymore. legalizing drugs might just decrease use by the young.

6. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Kids today are not paying for drugs.  They are huffing your cleaning painting chemicals  keyboard cleaners and such.

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

dude, it's cuz you know... then things would get all gnarled up and, yeah that was cool.

What?

8. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

The simple fact is this.

Being an Illegal substance has not slowed or stopped the use or marketing/distribution of any narcotics. The only thing the illegality has done is cost taxpayers millions of dollars and forced the people involved in the drug trade to become very clever.

So... since being illegal did/will not prevent it. We might as well use the tax dollars currently used to 'fight' illegal drug trafficking to create a controlled and safer way for those who choose to use, to do so. In the legalizing of the drug trade some good will come out of the drug trade. That being tax revenue on the new legalized product, the jobs created, the ability of an F.D.A. inspecting authority to insure quality and dose.

Employers would still be able to drug screen potential employees for drug use and not hire them do to that drug use.

Taking the 'badboy' image, the rebel fascination, out of drug use in my humble opinion, would also decrease the attractiveness of using drugs.

9. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

The war on drugs has been how successful so far.  They are killing people in the border towns of Mexico to get them to the US.  We sell them guns to help the war.  The atrocities are endless with policemen and their families getting killed by the cartels.

The governments programs are a joke by centering on the seller.  They waste so much time and expense on keeping the drugs from the user.  It is like trying to stop the rain from falling.  Unless we make it such a bad criminal offense and prosecute every illegal drug user to within an inch of their life it is a waste of time.

I had to get quite a wake up before I stopped and I don't see any other way. If the Feds get serious about it then lets get it done.  If they want to play around then let the druggies have their dope.

10. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I say legalize everything then meet at my house!  Party's on me! lol

11. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

The pot commercials would be maddening! A room full of adults watching "Vegi-tales"! They would have no idea whats going on and no hope of figuring it out!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)