Universes (plural)

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (39 posts)
  1. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

In cosmological terms, how many universes exist in limitless space.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Likely to be more than a finite number - which actually blows the mind of anybody who tries to imagine this smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Minds have limits, even great minds.. in fact the greater the minds are, the more they realize their limits... oops, getting closer to being exploded.

1. qwark profile image61
          qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle:
          Hi.
          I don't agree with ya.
          I think the human mind has no limits in ref to it's ability to learn.
          It seems that the more you offer it, if it is inspired, it can handle information at any level it is offered..of course aptitude has a great deal to do with the "subjects" offered. Speaking in terms of "generic" information, I think the mind will evolve to accomodate that which it has the ability to receive and understand...:-)
          If it explodes pls point it away from me...ok..? :-)

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
            Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are probably right-- I was only speaking my mind.

1. qwark profile image61

Rochelle:
              ok..:-)
              Appreciated a response...:-)

2. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. Even the smallest measurable unit of energy finite to our full brain/thought capacity is infinite. Attempting to 'count' that would take us -for lack of a better word- forever. Which (i hope this doesn't cause a feud) leads me believe beyond consciousness/consideration.

2. double_frick profile image61
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

an infinite amount. but is that an oxymoron? anyways...i call it a multi-verse secretly.

3. profile image0
      Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

String Theorists say 11. Some say up to 25 (or so). Other scientists say millions or billions. (?)

I wonder if Stephen Hawking is watching UFC tonight?

Great thread.

1. qwark profile image61

Will:
        I hope he is enjoying something. What a great mind!
        In the 11 dimensions of the TOE, there would be no end of possibilities.
        In the 3 dimensional world we exist in, why is it not possible that in empty space beyond our ability to imagine, "big bangs" or other weird, wild and crazy things which would astound even the most learned of men, are happening as just being natural, matter of fact?
        Everything is possible!

1. profile image0
          Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well put. I guess the only thing everybody agrees on is that the number of universes isn't zero.

1. qwark profile image61

Will:
            I couldn't imagine that we live in the only universe in endless cosmic space. :-)

2. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

More importantly, is Tito Ortiz surfing hubblesite.org for the latest updates tonight?

muay thai and string theory. This is a beautiful forum indeed. lol

Here is a neat little vid showing the 10 dimensions:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA

The seventh dimension is where my brain starts to get close to being exploded, as Rochelle says lol

1. qwark profile image61

Wyan:
          lol...I'm in the boonies of Texas and am using "dialup!" Exasperating!
          I hope I can watch what you sent.
          I download at about 25 kbps...lol so ya can imagine how long it takes to download even a 350 kb picture....lol..but I'll try..
          I'll let ya know if it works. :-)

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

IMHO the 11 dimension would be the point of the opposite of the 10th... if you get what I'm saying...

4. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

More than we can comprehend!

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you have a map?

1. profile image60

To where?

Well the other universes I guess but you can give me one for your house too if you like I left my wasabi in your fridge... and I have forgotten the way. smile

1. profile image60

Won't it suffocate in there?  LOL!
              It is a far piece from North Queensland! smile

A good wasabi holds its own, all you have to do is hold the sushi to my mouth and I will be in heaven LMAO
                And also Logic the stop watch has dinged you must put a pic or avatar up, sometimes it is easy to miss you as the little words in your name blend into the background, I bet you have a lot of nice pics. smile smile

2. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

It's an infinite number.

In addition to infinite space, put parallels into the equation.

The theories of parallel dimensions and universes are gaining more and more traction. smile
    You start to hear scientists refer to the "multiverse" instead of the "universe".

1. qwark profile image61

Hi Wyan:
      I would think so.
      Since physicists have proven the TOE (theory of everything) to exist on paper, who's to say that there aren't an infinite # of universes existing in both the micro and macro worlds...:-)

3. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Wyan:
    There's gonna be a buncha good UFC fights on tv tonite....

4. wyanjen profile image70

lol
    I'm recording Lesnar v Herring right now...

It's a perfect accompaniment to Sunday morning coffee smile

regarding the multiverse...

The concept of a single flat universe existing on a single plane... makes me think about the old theories with the sun revolving around the earth.

They could see that things were orbiting. The math made sense kinda.
    The theory was obviously wrong, but they had many of the broad concepts correct just the same...

When I hear the word universe, it doesn't bring to mind the all encompassing eternal infinity like it did ten years ago. Now in my mind, the universe is simply one of countless others.
    Then at that point my brain goes static-y. Too much to imagine!
    smile

5. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

...exactly!
    That's what propels the human imagination into realms of reality that continue to mystify and astound.
    I can imagine our "tiny" universe to be one of countless universes and "big bangs" happening like bubbles in a shook up bottle of beer....
    Mind boggling!!!

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love it, we are inside a tiny bubble in a shook up bottle of beer! It is just out there enough to be true as well big_smile

1. wyanjen profile image70

There are massive alcohol clouds floating around out there...
        Unfortunately they contain more than alcohol. You'd be dead way before you'd get drunk...

lol

6. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Got'cher message Wyan...:-) DITTO!  :-)

7. wyanjen profile image70

wink
    I love hub pages!

8. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Wyan: I dropped out for a couple weeks.
    Got bored.
    I'm a pretty serious person. The replies I was getting to some of my questions, were asinine. lol..I kinda expected that a few responses would include a little intellectual consideration.
    The only reason I came back in tonite was that I'd seen all the UFC fights being shown and got bored...lol
    I'm waiting for the later show...gonna be some good fights.
    Nice meeting you 2...:-)

1. wyanjen profile image70

cool lol

I'm a huge baseball fan, and when the Tigers are playing (basically every night, all summer long) I don't watch any TV.
      So, I have lost track of the fights completely. I don't do PPV, I wait for the replay on Spike lol
      TiVo is on it though. He records all of them, and I weed them out if I've seen them.
      It's a great little system.

RE Astronomy: I'm just an amateur lol
      I'm no rocket surgeon, that for sure.

Enjoy the fights!

1. qwark profile image61

Wyan:
        How can ya watch baseball...lol it's like watching golf....borrrrrring..lol oh well.:-)
        I use TIVO...I'm recording right now.
        I'm gonna watch the live fights tho, later tonite.
        I have loved scifi all my life...I study everything cosmologically and philosophically interesting to me.
        I am one who believes that we are not alone!   lol...by that I mean the universes must be teeming with life...life is not a miracle unique to this planet.
        A couple of my "hubs" are kinda scifi in essence...lol
        ttyl.

9. cheaptrick profile image76
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

Anyone familiar with Membrane theory.
    Grossly put,
    Universes exist as membranes that have a wave effect causing them to bump occasionally and produce phenomena such as White holes and gravity to occur in each other.Tons of math required in this one so no experts yet.

1. qwark profile image61

Cheap:
      You say universes exist as membranes?
      Not the way I understand it...
      The TOE has gone beyond the "superstring theory" mathematically and consist of 11 dimensions within which countless numbers of combinations can result in unlimited numbers of existences at teh same moment in time. If ya remember, it was thought that the "big bang" may have been caused by one string membrane oscillating and "banging" against another. Who knows?
      The TOE has been proved mathematically but not objectively..
      There is much to learn yet.

1. cheaptrick profile image76
        cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What you say is true Qwark but to my understanding the best guess for the origin of gravity within each universe or dimensional platform almost has to come from a parallel universe in order to be so evenly distributed but weak(excluding local events such as black holes of course)and equal throughout the adjoining universe.There does not seem to be a point of origin with in our universe.I've read that the B B may be a point in the expansion and contraction of a universe as well which occurs rhythmical.It appears we are confronted with the same answer we have all ways come up with.Infinity is the rule of thumb.
        Nice to bump into another Physics lover here.
        Very interested in continuing this conversation but my bed beckons lol.check back as soon as I can.night...

1. qwark profile image61

Cheap: g'nite..:-)

10. wyanjen profile image70

Q;
    If you have a series 3 or HD tivo, you could use it to watch you tube videos. But, I think that would still require a high speed connection.

The vid in that link is long, I think you won't have any good luck with it. sad
    Shoot.

11. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

No one knows. Anything claiming otherwise is simply theory.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)