Spirit/Demon Visit or Sleep Paralysis?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (140 posts)
  1. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Been reading a lot of hubs on this lately, from Incubi/Succubi to general spirits visiting to the sleep paralysis argument.

What do you think?!

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

it sucks.....
      really really sucks, whatever makes it happen!!
      I wish so bad I could put a pic up of the thing I saw in my sleep two nights ago, and why Ive been awake just about ever since..
      only then maybe youd never sleep either?
      It sounds crazy to say I think its a demon..but there is just something unearthly about being awakened by something terrifying and feeling you cant move, or cry out, or barely breath....

1. profile image0
        JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds like sleep paralysis to me

1. profile image0

if it can go wrong with your sleep, its happend to me..

2. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try a forensic artist.   big_smile

3. ideasformiami profile image60
        ideasformiamiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Justine I ve had the exact same type of episodes since I was little, they are scary, after a few years I realized it was sleep paralysis, but I just wrote a hub about my last night experience.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't think dark spirits visit people in the night to have sex with them.

3. Cly Walsh profile image60
      Cly Walshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sleep Paralysis. Very common, vastly documented and well understood.

4. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that people make up a lot of things from their imaginations or repeat what other people have made up from their imaginations. The question is whether or not one is foolish enough to believe it to be true.

5. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend  Sa Toya

It is just a superstition; not relevant any more for the literate and people doing Science; it was already not good for the people who believed in Revealed Religions. Buddha, Krishna, Moses, Zoroaster, Socrates , Jesus etc, never believed in such things.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

2. skyfire profile image77
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Insomnia.

3. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think you've got a Boo Hag.

4. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Let's see.....I'm thinking of a type of luch meat......oh yeah, bologne!!

5. Flightkeeper profile image68

http://atlantaghosttours.com/images/Wiki_John_Henry_Fuseli_The_Nightmare.jpg

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I remember this picture.  It's from our last family reunion.  I think thats my Aunt Fran sitting on Cousin Myrtle.

2. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This happens to me every night.

6. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Hard to say, logic tells me that it's some kind of sleep defect, enzymes and all that, but experience tells me it feels like something more.

Something worse. smile

7. Flightkeeper profile image68

Good grief, what ever did Cousin Myrtle do to your Aunt Fran! lol

I think Myrtle made some sort of comment about skin conditioner.

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol Never mess with Aunt Fran!

Lord no!!!

8. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

To be honest I don't know...just seen a lot of hubs  and forum psts on it so I was intrigued by the view of others

and lol Tobey and your family reunion image...shoud turn into a show big_smile

People wnat to find a 'deeper' meaning behind everything these days.  What was just pizza must be demons.  Oooooooooo!!!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You'll probably find it's the reverse.  It's 'these days' that people try to discount the explanations that have existed for as long as man has (for right or wrong).

You could be right.  What do I know.  Just a country boy here.  We were taught that if something goes bump in the night it means you forgot to put out the dog.  I'm quite sure there are thousands of things we have no explanation for.  this may be one of 'em.

1. profile image0

or forgot to let him in?

2. Sa Toya profile image83
        Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Yep I totally agree.

9. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

What I think? People who believe demons exist get demons. People who do not believe demons exist never see demons. That probably means it’s all in the mind.

But then again an atheist relative was sure she saw a shadow person in her bedroom. Not believing in such things she decided she was dreaming but half awake. Who knows.

I used to wake up while dreaming I couldn’t breathe. In the dream there was something unearthly sitting on my chest. I got a new asthma inhaler and the dreams stopped.

The point. Two inhalations of Bricanyl cures demon attacks.

1. profile image0

its funny tho, how so many people who have sleep paralysis experiences, (and I do understand its been medically exlained, even so), people who do not belive in spirits at all often wonder afterwards.

I experienced the inability to move a few times when I was a kid.  Wasn't demons though.  It was my fat-ass brother had rolled over on top of me.

1. profile image0

lol
          good thing you survived.

Just barely.

10. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

By the way, no intention of ridiculing anyone.  I don't believe in such but that doesn't mean others shouldn't either.  Not that kind of guy.  Unless we're talking politics then....if you don't believe the way I do you must be a communist.  smile

11. NateSean profile image66
    NateSeanposted 14 years ago

If someone tells me that they experienced what they believed to be paranormal activity (demon or otherwise) in their sleep, my first instinct is to suggest sleep paralysis.

Sleep paralysis is also used to explain some the reports of Alien abduction.

Is that always the case? Maybe, maybe not.

Every case is different. And without knowing the person who is making the claim I can only go on what was presented to me. I don't out right dismiss the claim, but I do offer a more likely scenario that might make it less frightening.

Sleep paralysis is just one of a thousand possible explanation that can be ruled out by a medical professional.

I tend to agee with you Nate.  Very reasonable, less Twilight Zone

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Any type of chemical imbalance in the body can produce many distortions.

3. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can it be ruled out by a med pro? Huh.. A medical condition? Causes sleep paralysis? I'll have to read up on that, that's interesting.

12. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

I have not had any episodes recently.....but I remember the first time I had this experience....

I was at least in a state of semi-sleep, because I was dreaming...I was in a dining room, and I was watching a television show...it was a cartoon...and all of a sudden the image turned very sinister...bright red, and the faces on the television screen became mishapen and distorted... Simultaneously I felt and heard a "whooshing" type sound...moving air, and then felt slammed against my bed....  I tried to say something...but could only move my mouth...

For a period of time this used to happen several times per night.....and the strange thing was...shortly thereafter I enlisted and went off to boot camp....and it stopped and didn't return until after boot camp and combat training..

I noticed that whenever I would change my geographic location this strange experience would stop...only to start up again after a few weeks....  Other people knew of my experiences....and I would joke that my late-night "friend" (jumping on me) wouldn't realize that I had moved..and would have to spend time trying to find me again......

I noticed, further, that the experience was worse when I was laying on my back....and I learned to be able to tell, right when I started falling off to sleep, when I would have more of these experiences....and I learned over time to move and roll to my side during one of these events....and they subsided over time....

I am not superstitious per se....or tied to any religious dogma....but a few of my experiences leave me wondering what exactly is going on when one of these events is occurring...

1. Pandoras Box profile image60

That one sounds like sleep apnea.

But I agree, when these types of dreams hit you it can be awful.

13. NateSean profile image66
    NateSeanposted 14 years ago

Another common occurence is sleep apnea. It's when you temporarilly stop breathing in your sleep.

This can be a terrifying moment as it literally feels like you have to make an effort to breath in.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60

Yeah that one, and you can't breathe making you feel like someone or thing is squashing you. Never had that one personally, but I know of someone you deals with it.

14. mikelong profile image61

In my case, however, I never lost breath....and was fully conscious at times.....eyes open to see, able to turn my head....I remember one time...one of the first times...I tried to push with my left arm against the force...and instead of moving up into the air (like a bench press...me laying on my back in bed)..my arm slid up my chest to my neck...

So..while there may be situations that can be clearly explained by medical science....there may be others that aren't....

I don't know.....all I have are my personal experiences...

(not to be read in an argumentative tone)

15. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Personally, I would see a doctor for this type of problem.
    I would try to leave the Ghosts and demons for the god botherers to work out with the fairy. lol

16. mikelong profile image61

Well, I don't see any jesting matter here....

No doctor was necessary....it just stopped happening....... There was never any situation that I felt posed a risk to my health...and also realize that there is far more that people (regardless of certification) don't understand than what they claim to know....

I've never claimed ghosts or demons.......but I'd much rather have the experiences to think about for myself than stand on the outside and prod others...... Your lack of experience does not bestow you with knowledge...

17. earnestshub profile image81

My comment was general and not focussed on you. smile
    You know nothing about my experience. smile

18. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Well, all i'll say is that this shit was the most terrifying experience of my life (at first).  I've seen huge dudes the likes of which could beat me to a pulp with one finger on Youtube with tears in their eyes as they talk about their experiences.

Whether science or Demons, this shit is scary.

19. mikelong profile image61

"this problem" is pretty specific....especially when read against the context of the thread..... This is just an observation...nothing more.

I don't know anything about your experiences..this is true...but I can also tell what you haven't experienced.....

Don't take my remarks for criticisms, for they are not..

The universe is an amazing place......and so little of it can we comprehend...

20. earnestshub profile image81

Time spent in psychotherapy will reveal all! smile
    We create those demons in a dream state, and they are unexamined aspects of self. Worked for me, and yes, I have had very similar experiences.

I wish it were so, but that seems like the easy answer to everything.

p.s. I am not a man of faith, and follow no religion.

21. mikelong profile image61

If one is awake.....they cannot be asleep....one cannot cognizantly analyze and make observations logically in sleep....

There is no purpose for argumentation here....my experiences are specific and my own....and broad brush generalizations like yours have no purpose....if you ever go through what I did you can see the shrink..

If you are going to claim that you have been though a similar experience why don't we do a little comparison and see how close they are?

Again...I am not here to argue...I just wanted to share my story....

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

... and argue....

22. earnestshub profile image81

Psychotherapy allows these things to become self evident, not a cure for everything, but mental disruptions like this are no big deal to cure with therapy.

LOL, what do you see when you look at the stars?  Do you really believe that there is a man alive who truly understands the intricacies of the universe?

Psychotherapy is far from an all encompassing science.

Men are but children, and being in a position of power does not change that fact.  The hubpages forums are a perfect example of this. smile

23. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

In listening to others tell their  experiences and experiencing this phenomena myself,  over the years I've become  personally convinced  that some  cases  involve  psychosomatic disorders, others  demonic  visitation, and that each  experience is best  known by  those  who  actually  have them.

24. earnestshub profile image81

Well I reckon demons are all in the mind like religion, and I would seek a cure myself through professionals in this field.

25. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 14 years ago

I had an experience of sleep paralysis when I was 15. My head was pinned to the pillow, I couldn'y speak, and I felt the paralsis move donw my neck to my chest. all the time I was thrashing my legs about. It scared me sh*tless. Now I'm not one for looking for demons under the bed, but this did happen at six minutes to six and I'm guesing lasted approximately six seconds. But hey, now you think i'm a delusional nutter.

Now this event happened the night after i told my friend who was a Christian that Iwouldn't beliee him unless something wierd happened.

Read of this what you will. I've seen the forum thread on succubus and incubus and know that there are enough people getting off on it not to be making the whole thing up.

1. profile image58
      Authorityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm convinced.  My dog just proved it to me last Saturday night.  I've had these occurrences before but I was always alone.  This time I was in the bed asleep next to my husband.  He had been watching the tv program called ghost hunters and the episode was about succubus and incubus. I had been watching also but fell aspleep sometime during the program or after.  Anyway, we have a dog who will sometimes leave her bed (which is on the floor next to my side of the bed) and jump on to our bed and sleep next to me - she will bump my backside trying to get as close to me as she can.  So this night I was caught up in this what I have always thought to be sleep paralsyis  and I felt what I thought was my dog next to me and then just before I awoke....I felt like I was being pulled away from the side of my husband.  Then once I got fully awake.....my dog was whimpering at the end of our bed - she had not be on the bed like I had thougth.  I had to coaxed her up on to the bed and she never has had a problem getting in to our bed before....and even after she did she continued to whimper.  Our dog has never acted this way before. After thinking about what I felt and the dream - I've put it together with that program.  I feel by watching the program we allowed evil sprits to come in to our home.  Since we are Christians and the Lord tells us there are evil spirits in this world and to not seek them out......I knew in my heart we should not have been watching that program.  The very next day, I spoke with my Mother who knows the bible forwards and backwards.....she told us we needed to go from room to room and take authority over the spirits in the name of Jesus Christ.  We did..... we told them in the name of Jesus Christ to "Get Out".  I 've since looked up in the scriputres where the Lord teaches on this subject.  Praise the Lord!  He has answers for everything.

26. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I experienced sleep paralysis a couple of times and it was as scary as hell, but I don't believe it has anything to do with outside forces. It seems to happen more often when we are under a great deal of psychological stress. At the time of my sleep paralysis experiences I was not in a good place psychologically - dealing with a bereavement plus other things. I'd definitely recommend therapy if this is ongoing.

27. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Hey earnesthub---how are you?      Long time no see, pal.    I have'nt done  a limerick in umteen weeks; kinda got out of the habit.

Yes, earnesthub, lots of folks believe as you do on this topic.   
    Indeed, religion is what people have made it; but spirit entities are an exterior experience for millions of people who don't even believe in them or deny, for example, that the objects moving or flying thru the air without visible forces behind them are the result of the actions of spirits.

Provided the human mind is as powerful as it is said to be, I question the logic that yet allows the minds of those who disbelieve to create exterior phenomena that's directly opposite to their unbelief.   If I never have believed in spirits at all but see one while I'm fully in control of my senses, I must at least admit that something supernatural has occurred, whether or not I want to go further with it to the point of belief in spirit beings.
    If the phenomena is supernatural and I was in my proper state of mind when it manifested,  where and why does it exist?     Who or what besides my unbelieving mind caused the activity I saw?

If I go to a shrink and am told my mentality is balanced,  I'm left with a mystery; but I can't deny what I actually saw, felt, or heard that was completely out of the ordinary. I'm referring to phenomena other than  sleep paralysis which many believe is caused by spirits.

This sort of experience has happened to many people who disbelieved in Ouija boards then participated in a session to disprove the board as a contact medium for so-called demons.
    Many of these reportedly got direct replies to their disbelief on the spot, sometimes in non-frightening but supernatural ways.   

Just thought I'd pipe in with a thought or two.  Be happy to hear back from you on this earnesthub, or others here.  Best wishes to everybody in 2010.

In the 3 years I spent in dream annalysis I got several glimpes at my sub-conscious processes and can assure anyone who has not done so that they have no idea how weak and misleading consciousness thinking is.
      What we do all day is usually driven by thoughts which are mostly unconscious and related to fear.

Obvious examples are people who collect wealth out of fear like billionaires who do not understand that they will never aquire enough money to quell their fear of not having.

Religionists who waste their lives believing and following the non existant out of a fear that death is final, people who keep adopting children not out of love but fear of dying themselves and replacing themselves in their minds, I could go on!
      Generally speaking we do not know ourselves or true motives at all well! smile

1. Jewels profile image83
        Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Generally speaking, if we do not know ourselves or true motives at all well, why would you be putting faith in psychotherapy?

Wait for Carl's little red book and you may find he didn't have all the answers and his adventures into the supernatural will make for very good reading.

Dream analysis is one spectrum of a myriad of spectrums of consciousness.  Many who analyse dreams have no idea what they are talking about.  It's like many pseudo sciences, it has facets of interpretations that require discernment by the one seeking clarity.

I have never believed that Jung had all the answers, and real dream therapy leaves the therapist out as much as possible. I have read all of Jung, and have been reading for around 30 years now.
          I would rather realize my own archetypes and symbols than have some religion tell me what they are.

It takes a very long time to even prepare for dream therapy, and the answers have to come from self as to what represents what. Dream therapy as praciced well by the few shrinks who can remain open to many interpretations, and it does provide some insite to self.
          I do not believe any one idea is a complete answer, but the religious ones are a pushover, the experiences he had with poltegeists is already well documented.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

"But, Patrick! I don't wanna face my fears! I'm afraid of them!" --Spongebob Squarepants

2. Jewels profile image83

Lewj, you have expressed the experiences of many.  To cut through a heap of bull here, everything that is conscious is real to the person having the experience. 

For those who are having sex with pernicious non physical beings during the night, the question to ask is "What do I do about it."  It helps no-one to dismiss someones experience and say it's rubbish, just because you are not having the experience yourself.   It doesn't serve anyone to say it's just the mind because everything is perceived from the mind, it's what creates your reality.

I think there is more to sleep paralysis and not all the answers are there.  It's a fact that when a person brings their conscious back to their physical body before waking if they become conscious prior to actually being in the body, some experience a great sense of fear as if falling.  It can explain why people have this fear of heights when they have never been in a situation in their life of falling nor have they experienced great heights physically.

28. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Sleep paralysis?  I've never heard of such a thing.  What is it?

29. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

It all comes from within your own mind - demons, gods and all the other 'manifestations' are coming to the conscious mind from the unconscious. How it does it is the subject or province of dream therapy, psychoanalysis, hypnotherapy. People have very vivid visions and experiences that convince them that 'something' has happened, but like our slow understanding that god is a figment of our imaginations put there by others with good motives, and others with bad.

The industry that this has spawned is mostly about people preying on the gullible to enjoy some kind of power over others. Others are various forms of neurosis, which may only be people more closely 'in touch' with the workings of their subconscious, less in control of it.

Demons and spirits cannot stand the light of rational thinking and, like ghosts who mostly dissappeared when electric light replaced shadowy gas lighting, they start to dissappear in the light of analysis, dream therapy, etc., etc.

Very well said. Since Carl Jung gathered enough empirical evidence to sink a ship about how this works, my best bet is that people who take a supernatural view of demons have never read it!
      Or they are so indoctrinated into believing in the sky fairy that anything they do not understand is "supernatural"

30. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

This is a joke.

Agreed! smile

31. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

The idea that there's no supernatural realm and that all reality is based on that which is considered rational and physical is perfectly logical---from a materialist point of view.
    But the concepts of rationality and materialism are limited in themselves as manifestations of human consciousness.     This fact is highlighted by the example provided from the field of quantum physics wherein particles of matter are seen to occupy no consistent location yet exist as definite points of matter.   That  state of a particle of matter is contradictory to rational thought.
    But does that fact remove the existence of such a state of matter?

No one has seen the physical form of air or wind.   But will that prove that these exist only within the confines of human perception?     If that were so, all the physical damage done by windstorms since the early times of this planet have been the result of human consciousness alone, apparently in the form of subconscious fears or disorder.

Human rational is far less godlike than some humans seem to believe.   Its failure to explain or account for non-physical phenomena is ancient and widely publicized as well.   
    It is far easier to declare phenomena as non-existent than it is to explain or understand it; yet that response never actually removes the unexplained, especially when the unexplained keeps happening.

I refer again to the unexplained activity associated with specific spiritistic objects or mediums, such as Ouija boards.    For skeptics, this question begs: Why does irrational phenomena  of the specific type on record occur only in connection with specific spiritistic objects?
    In other words, why are the strange events associated with the Ouija board and its use not, instead, associated with DVD cases, or car tires, or other inanimate material of which the human mind also has awareness?   
    If what's called supernatural phenomena is ultimately the product of the human mind, what accounts for the occurrence of such events in the presence of and in spite of minds that had rejected the existence of the supernatural?

In practical terms, there comes a limit: a door not moved by wind either closed, or it did not; an inanimate object either leaped into the air and crashed against a wall without human assistance, or it did not; an event foretold at a spiritistic meeting later occurs outside of human control, or it does not.      Nothing is explained by my assuming that I was imagining the object that leaped through the air had been on the table when actually it was not, so that I can then say that my subconscious mind produced the event I witnessed with my physical eyes and ears.
    In the realm of that kind of reasoning, all is quite literally an illusion only.

1. profile image54

No, they are manifestations of reality.

The main point is that particles exist, the fact that their existence is counter-intuitive to our world view does not preclude their existence.

Yes, that which makes up our atmosphere has been seen with electron microscopes. We also observe weather patterns and what causes them.

There is nothing unexplained about quackery and snakeoil, they are what they are.

Usually, the irrational phenomena is the person who believes in such nonsense.

What occurrences, what events? You may be referring to those who make claims of such things but their claim usually specious, at best.

Sorry, are you actually saying you saw those things? Come on, seriously?

32. Alota profile image60
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

great thread, cant join in I am very tired, the randy politicain has taken alota out of me today, time for bed, good night, thanks for all the fun

1. Hokey profile image60

I wish I was a Randy Politician.   big_smile

33. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

My personal experiences with supernatural events, or those of others for that matter, are not legitimately deniable by those who have'nt had them. 
    This is so whether or not those personal experiences are counter intuitive to the precepts of closed minds.   Nor is any  "proof"  of personal experiences  required, which is wasted on a closed mentality anyhow.    The ultimate in quackery and nonsense is seen in the denial of that which has been experienced by others on the basis of one's own limited knowledge or personal experience.       Nothing is more nonsensical than applying a blanket interpretation to someone else's life experiences, as if presumption equals truth.     In effect, this penalizes others for the interpreter's own lack of the experience.     Which yet fails to disprove the experience thought to be an illusion.

It's true, using the logic and rational arguement for every experience is limiting the possibility of experiences.  If someone can't understand why because the mind is what limits the answer, then the mind is the very thing that needs expanding.  If the mind can't understand, go beyond it.

What is required however, in my experience, is the ability to discern, not from the ordinary level of mental consciousness, whether these experiences warrant scrutiny because of their damaging effect on our emotional/energetic wellbeing.

It doesn't serve us to continue to place experiences in a box.  If you never think outside it you will always live within the box.  How boring and how limiting if it creates righteousness that dismisses another persons pioneering mind.

Different of course to psychosis where a person is clearly living in a world that is delusional and damaging.

1. profile image54

The outside of the 'box' IS that world of delusion you refer. It may be exciting to be there, but it's still a delusion.

Because you can't see it, you call it delusion?  I call it lack of vision that you can't.

1. profile image54

So, you're "special?" You have some magical ability to see things that I can't see?

Or, could it be a mental condition, one in which you think you see things, but they aren't really there?

Tell me then, what exactly do you see that I cannot? Exactly?

I'd like to think I'm special, but alas!  Not really.  I don't call it magic.  There is little point in telling you what I see, you would still not believe me unless you saw it yourself.  I could teach you if you have the discipline to persevere.  Not sky faries, not belief, real vision, tangible and tactile.  And no, I don't teach via the hubpages forum.

Get yourself a plane fare and we can start practices as soon as you like.

2. profile image54

One would have to have reference to a supernatural realm to be able to confirm it was a supernatural realm and not their own imaginations running amok. Since no reference has been made available, the latter is the most plausible explanation.

Imaginations don't need proof to run amok, just the capacity and will to do so.

The "life" experiences of those who claim supernatural experiences are documented well enough to be filed in most mental asylums and are labeled as delusions.

Then the question arises: What is imagination?  Imagination gives the impulse to create, without it you'd not have the computer you're sitting at.  Many inventors were told they were delusional.

And sadly many people who were interned in mental institutions were not at all crazy.  Those who had bucked any system were controlled by authority.  And very sadly, the mind is so permeable that you can get little children to believe anything a parent mimics to them, like God for instance, just to use an example.  So just as you can force a mind to believe that superanatural experiences are delusional, so to can you train a mind to believe a perfectly natural experience is unnatural.

I find the limited controlled mind unnatural.

And, reference is being made, but it won't be plausible as a reference until more than a small number of people have the ability to reference what they see.  Allot of people have 'paranormal' experiences but because it's all 'voodoo' and kept under the table as nonsense, there is a stigma attached to people speaking maturely about it.

1. profile image54

So what? Inventing things and believing in the invisible and undetectable are two different things, the latter most certainly being delusional.

Most were, so what?

In other words, whatever you conjure from your imagination, you believe to be real; the unlimited mind?

Yes, the 'they are insane' stigma.

Most certainly?  Presumption.  Things are only invisible until you see them.  You can detect the initially undetectable by looking in the right place, or a different place.

1. profile image54

Under rocks and at the bottom of garden ponds, perhaps?

Good try Q.

34. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

It was probably the Rophynol

Hokey Kokey you crack me up! how are ya?! big_smile

1. Hokey profile image60

I'm good sweetheart/ How are you? That is the important question.

big_smile good to hear...not bad thanks...pretty good, should be writing a hub but I thought I'd browse the forums for a bit smile

1. Hokey profile image60

THats cool.I should be writing too. Well, Ya know....

Yeah that's why I never write any. Hate these derned forums...

35. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Also large amounts of barbiturates prior to sleeping can magnify the effect.  just fyi

the same can be said of eating salami and spicey foods late at night.

1. Hokey profile image60

That's true. If I eat anything with red sauce? Forget it!!!

2. profile image0
        LEWJposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your points and reasoning on this topic are informative, Jewels, and therefore appreciated.  I'm  satisfied to discern that the real delusionals here are clearly manifest in the delusion that their delusions are non-delusional, on account of the delusion that their delusional reasoning against the supernatural is not a delusion!     Ad infinitum.   Have a good one, Jewels....

1. profile image54

Would it be so horrible a notion to ponder that the supernatural didn't exist? Would that idea manifest rock your world or change anything about your life at all? Would the walls come crumbling down?

Why make the notion horrible in the first place Q?

1. profile image54

It isn't horrible, why can't you entertain the notion?

I don't think the 'supernatural' is horrible. You are saying it isn't horrible also?

1. profile image54

Reading comprehension issues?

I have certainly entertained the notion, that's called discernment.

36. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Hay jewels.. just want ta say HI... and glad  ta see ya here.   

Can anyone imagine how crazy ya can feel after working all day ...nothing going right...and coming home ... gettin on here ... and reading everything everybody been saying all day ..and trying to make sence outa anything. 
    When I am declared crazy.. I'm goina blame it all on yaul..

37. earnestshub profile image81

I actually enjoy being crazy! If the world view is that I am crazy, I feel very sane indeed. After all, who would want to be considered sane by powers that be in the world we live in?

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hay Earnest... Gooday ta ya.   ta tel ya tha truth I thing tha crazyest ones are tha ones that that think that they are OK.

Hi guys.  Good to see you.

Yes Jerami, I think you're mad lol.  On the work front - I did it for 21 years full time to make someone else rich.  Now who's crazy?  The normal world is crazy. Or was I crazy for conforming to it.

Is good to have a whole heap of boxes and play around in all of em, but never get so stuck you can't see it's just a box.  Does that make sense? smile

Sure... it does... that is why I'm ... so... not happy...
            somebody gotta teach me ta quit doin it,,,  seems like I'm so busy paddeling my life raft that I don't have time to build a boat.....????

Funny, when you're about to drown you start drowning upwards.  Weird how that happens.

Took me 18 months to quit my 'career' that I never wanted.

I've never had a career...  used ta have a time clock. bout 30 years ago..been doin it too long. too late to quit it... been a self employed ,,, handy man.. Painter .. home builder...  fixed it after a drunk driver drove through your house and out the back... fire tore up the upper floor so we replaced it ...
              never charged enough.... Like doin what I'm doin...  gettin too old to do it ... pewwwew.;? ....

2. earnestshub profile image81

Hi Jewels! Good to see you too! smile

Always good to see your smiling face .. Earnest...   
                I always imagine you thinking something diffrent each time.   
                It is always good stuff you are thinking....

Hi Jeremi!

Earnist...I think that if we were fishing together....
                    and I fell out of tha boat; that you would jump in tha water to try to save me even though you caint swim all that good; and even thouth we have diffrent opinions.....

Wana go fishing????

yeah after awhile you realize it isn't you, it's them!

38. earnestshub profile image81

Jerami. when we go fishing, I reckon we get a couple of high quality life vests first! lol
    Not being able to swim like a shark is a bit unusual in Australia... with all of us living near the coast and all. Our coastline is massive by the way, and we do have some great fishing!
    If I can find it, I will post my biggest fish catch. !

I think that I'll save my money up and hitch-hike ovre there and we'll catch the bigest one ... or ..
      I'd love to see a picture.

39. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 14 years ago

This happened to me once.  I was sleeping and suddenly I heard the wood floor creak in my apartment.  I head steps coming toward my bedroom and of though someone had broken in.  The step came closer until it got to my bedroom door and stopped.  I looked up and something grabbed me.  I could not move or taught.  In my mind, I said Satan, I rebuke you in the name of Jesus, three times and it left.

1. profile image54

In other words, you were dreaming.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

then all the priests all over should put that in a memo and give it to their flock so that they can avoid getting possessed by demons. it's a big problem, as discussed in another forum somewhere.

roll wink

1. Hokey profile image60

lol lol lol lol

A memo she said! big_smile

lol lol lol lol

Good one!  big_smile

40. earnestshub profile image81

I was once woken by a duck. Does that count? smile

Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only if you rebuked it in the name of Jesus. smile

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend  Mrvoodoo

I don't think Jesus ever rebuked anybody or her mother Mary rebuked anybody. Why should anybody, therefore, rebuke in Jesus name?

If one opt to one could rebuke, perhaps, rebuke Satan.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. profile image54
          (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rebuke Allah and Muhammad, instead.

41. Alien invasion profile image58
    Alien invasionposted 14 years ago

Occasionally I get contacted by the home planet in my sleep. They want me to destroy the Earth.

1. Hokey profile image60

Maybe you should write a Hub about it. Then you would have at least ONE!!!  hmm

1. NateSean profile image66
        NateSeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, if half of the participants in this discussion would write hubs instead of wasting those paragraphs on the forums they'd have had enough money to own their own Tuscan Villa's by now.

Oh wait, Tuscan Villa's don't exist. :p

2. Alien invasion profile image58
        Alien invasionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok hokey, I did it. I was up all night but it's finished.
        You've been warned!
        <no self-promotional links>

42. Alien invasion profile image58
    Alien invasionposted 14 years ago

Hmmmmm, Ok, yeah, sure, I could do that!

43. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I know a lot about this. I found out one night it was my little dog under the covers, he has a lickers license and I was under the influence.

44. perfumer profile image63
    perfumerposted 14 years ago

what do you do when you are attacked by sleep paralysis? Do you pray or just scream?
    usually this is something very common to people who suffer from insomnia.

45. ceholmes profile image59
    ceholmesposted 13 years ago

Many people think that sleep paralysis is spiritual...astral projection. I used to think it was Incubi but my experience has been on the astral projection end, or when your spirit temporarily leaves the body to just..explore w/o boundaries. It is suppose to be a good thing that people should welcome because it allows your inner being to go anywhere it wants to...many people that are relaxed and less fearful report experiencing positive recollections of visiting unearthly realms of places that they have yet to discover.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)