Upcoming HubPages Mobile Application: Looking for Feedback

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (71 posts)
  1. larryfreeman profile image77
    larryfreemanposted 14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

HubPages is planning a mobile version of HubPages. 

We are targeting this application for the iPhone and Android phones.

The first version will include the following:

User Summary Page
    HubFeed
    My Account Stats
    Comment Moderation

What other features would you like to see in a mobile phone application?

Cheers,

-Larry

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does this enhancement have anything to do with this forum thread...http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/33960?

As for chronological vs threaded views, does everyone know what that means?  When I came back to HP a few minutes ago, after being away for a few hours, I refreshed my browser and found a view I'd never seen before...smaller font, nothing consistently left-justified, clickable icons that made no sense to me.

Maybe you could explain for those of us who don't know, what mobile, android, and iphone versions of HP are supposed to do and how they are supposed to benefit this site.

larryfreemanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sally's Trove,

The mobile version of HubPages will enable mobile phone users to access HubPages more easily from their iPhones or their Android Phones.

For example, it is planned that a person can do a quick check of their stats, moderate comments, and use their hub feed from a mobile phone.

This work is independent of the Japanese web site that you mentioned.

As for the chronological/threaded views, this is a new forum feature that makes it easier to use the forums.  You can change back your forum format by clicking the "Chronological" link in the upper right of the page.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
          Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your reply. I am not up on things like Android phones, and I appreciate the information.

Some of these timely changes on HP based on new technology are obvious to some, but they are not obvious to all. Not that it's necessary for HP to educate members about Androids, but I do think it's important to communicate change when it happens and then document that change (as the feature it resulted in) in the Help pages.

As Pat Summitt said a few years ago about the Tennessee Lady Vols match with Rutgers, "The ladies had great energy...communication was key."

For those of us who are not techies, communication is key to sustaining energy here.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this sounds great.  covers just about everything that's needed on a mobile. the feed covers a lot in itself. do you know when it will be available? smile

I rebekahELLE,

We are starting work on it now so it is planned to be ready in 2-3 months depending upon how many features we implement in the first release.

-Larry

3. twisterdude1009 profile image60
      twisterdude1009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

NICE! Cant wait big_smile hubing and driving ftw lol i kid

4. profile image56
      jimmyianposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi alllll

I am a new member.Hope to share a good time.

5. TerrenceYoung profile image59
      TerrenceYoungposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Larry---great to know... I have Android. Howdy from Spokane! It's Terry.

Hi Terry,

Welcome to HubPages!

-Larry

6. G Miah profile image78
      G Miahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Larry, this sounds very good, but i can already access HP on my Nokia E71. I can do everything with the phone apart from writing hubs!

If you could add that feature where hubs can be written it will be excellent. Like i said, every single thing is possible, only the writing capsule does not appear.

My activity on hubpages is probably 90% on my phone and the rest is on my pc/laptop.

Please see if you can add that feature on phones.

Just one question, would Google ads appear in the hubs through the application?

Thanks.

Hi G. Miah,

Thanks for your feedback.  The goal with the app will be to improve the user experience for HubPages.  For the first version of the app, we will focus on using the feed from a mobile phone.

In the release after that, we will probably focus on the ability to create hubs.

-Larry

1. G Miah profile image78
          G Miahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent! I can't wait! That means i can write hubs anywhere and everywhere!

There is a feature though, which let's you write new hubs, but is called 'simplified version' and is actually useless because you can't add any capsules apart from just writing the text.

Looking forward to It. Thanks.

7. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Blackberry love.  smile  Don't forget the BB people.

8. BristolBoy profile image62
      BristolBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great to see that it is also planned to come to Android smile.  With the Motorola Milestone (Driod in US) and Nexus One, not to mention the amazing new phones from HTC (including some which are considered by techies at least to easily beat iPhone on all counts with the sole exception of the number of apps) I can really see Android use skyrocketing.  Not got a smart phone yet but when I do I expect to get an Android one. 

Presumably there are no plans to charge for this?  Only reason I ask is most apps in the UK linked to websites even if the website is free the application isn't! 

Finally how come only iPhone/Android are being supported with apps?  How come not Nokia's Symbian system (39% of smart phones shipped in 2009 were Nokia's: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61B1MA20100212 ).  Notice the iPhone only has a 14% market share (below RIM/Blackberry with 20%).

Hi BristolBoy,

The main reason for starting with iPhone and Android is that these are fast growing sectors of mobile phones. 

We may support Blackberry and Symbian at a later time.  You have to start somewhere.  smile

Cheers,

-Larry

1. BristolBoy profile image62
          BristolBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the quick reply - it all makes sense.  I guess I also forgot that Nokia in particular is most popular in Europe and Asia which are obviously large areas with non English speaking populations and therefore unlikely to use Hubpages as much as Americans/Canadian etc.

Cheers,
          Matt

9. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds fun.

might be a fun addition: mini-hub publishing for mobile.
      (being able to publish a new hub via mobile)
      especially if you are on-the-go, flying or generally away from your iMac/PC.

cheers.

2. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Sounds like another reason to get an iPhone. (I'm a current crackberry user)

I'd like to see: Comment approval and fan mail approval

Any plans to eventually make hubs mobile search friendly and monetize through Google mobile ads?

1. ngureco profile image81
      ngurecoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, ability to make hubs mobile search friendly and monetize through Google mobile ads should be a priority number one.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here Here! Spot on! I am getting pretty excited thinking about the possibilities big_smile

2. sumonali profile image55
      sumonaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi

1. sumonali profile image55
        sumonaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

আিম সংমন হম im sumon bangladesh call    0509868941

3. larryfreeman profile image77

Hi girly_girl09,

Comment approval is planned.  Fan mail approval is on the list of nice to haves.

Yes, this is part of our strategy to make hubs more mobile search friendly.

-Larry

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I have no use for it, but sounds like a step forward for HubPages. smile

4. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 14 years ago

This is a great idea! I know you've told us everything that's included, but I'm a little dense sometimes; would the Hubber Score be included too?

Hi camlo,

Yes, hubber score will be part of it.  The plan is to have three pages that will be available:

(1)  Home Page (Hubber Score, Notifications, Summary Data)

(2)  Hub Statistics (similiar to My Account)

(3)  Hub Feed

-Larry

5. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

How about a feature to disable while a person is driving?

1. hublim profile image66
      hublimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Don't Hub and Drive.

6. Rose West profile image78
    Rose Westposted 14 years ago

I was wondering if hubpages would ever go mobile. That would be so great! I'm sure the first version will be wonderful; I can't think of anything else to add!

7. sarovai profile image73
    sarovaiposted 14 years ago

hi Larry, I welcome this approach. Why can't we include the forum posting?

Hi Sarovai,

Forum posts will be accessible through the Hub Feed feature.  We are planning to use this as the main interface for viewing all HubPages activity from the mobile phone.

-Larry

8. Phrenism profile image58
    Phrenismposted 14 years ago

My goodness, what can't you do on an iphone now? Great update, checking my account on the go will be quite a convenience

9. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I think it is a very good idea from the staff..I do have a few idea's, but I currently am not able to access the internet mobile for now, so I will let those who can suggest the features they want to use.
    Thank You and keep up the good work  smile

10. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

This is a great step.  I'll be able to access it via Opera Mini.

Hi Flightkeeper,

The first version will only support iPhone and Android phones.  We may look at customizing an application for Opera Mini later on.

11. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Great forward thinking! 

I would like to see (probably not in the first version, but later) the ability to publish and edit.  That would be the cat's meow!  smile

For the first release, it would be good to include:

bookmarking
    hubber search
    hubber contact (email)
    perhaps indexing the hubbers you frequent in a contact listing format
    ability to ask a question of a hubber

Looking forward to the new application.  Great work HP team!

Hi Beth100,

Thanks for the great suggestions!  I'll add them to our list.

Hubber contact (email) is planned for the first release.

Bookmarking and Hubber Search is on the list of nice-to-haves.

1. Beth100 profile image70
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Larry for keeping up on these great suggestions!  I appreciate your answer. 

Is there a targeted release date for the first version?  Or a beta?

Hi Beth100,

The current roadmap is to have the first version (beta) of the mobile app ready in 2-3 months.  I'll post on this thread when we have a firmer date.

-Larry

1. Beth100 profile image70
            Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Larry!  I'll be looking for the post!

12. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago

YES!!! As of December, I am the proud owner of the T-Mobile myTouch, and one of the things that aggravates me the most is Hubpages just doesn't give me what I want through the browser.

I think that the options Larry has listed are fantastic, and would be thrilled if those options as well as easy ratings on hubs and hub request short answers were also included.

Hi gamergirl,

I've got hub request short answers on the nice-to-haves.  Most likely, it will be included as part of the HubFeed feature.

-Larry

13. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

I think it is a good idea. Ability to post on forum is good too.

Hi Dao Hoa,

Ability to post on forums is on the nice-to-have feature.  Forum posting is expected to also be part of the HubFeed feature.

-Larry

14. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I think device detection should be there. Current forum interface which is modified for the mobile device makes it hard to navigate for desktop users. Better to have device detection and arranging forum interface as per that.

Old interface should be there for desktop users IMO.

Other than that promote buttons, text stats of hub should be there if possible.

Hi Skyfire,

We are planning to customize HubPages to the mobile user while keeping the existing form for desktop users.

Hub stats is planned as part of the release.

-Larry

15. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Let's be able to make hubs.  Hubs on the Go.

Hi Lyricsingray,

Authoring hubs will probably not make it on this first release.  We are focusing on HubFeed and Stats.

This will most likely make it in the second release which will be planned for 5-6 months.

-Larry

1. hublim profile image66
        hublimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It may be beneficial to have some sort of memo type feature. If you’re on the go and you get an idea on your head, it’s good to have somewhere to dump your thoughts into.

If this could be tied into the Hubpages application, when you get back to a pc you can pick up your ideas and refine them.

It sounds like the first release of the application will be more of a social networking application, which I think is a great place to start.

I just recently moved to a blackberry and have logged on to the site and posted forum comments easily using the current mobile browser. I tried to edit a hub module and had no luck. Perhaps future releases of this app would make this possible.

16. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Make Sure Hubpages is iSlate compatable, thats the future of mobile computing, and this is coming from someone who is no fan of Macs!

Hi Thisisoli,

As far as I understand it, the iPad is compatible with the iPhone so we are good.

-Larry

17. rmr profile image67
    rmrposted 14 years ago

Not being a techie, I'm not sure what the difference is. Since the last software update on my T-Mobile G1, I can do pretty much anything on my phone that I can do on my pc. It just takes a lot longer to load. In general, I'd say anything that makes HP more accessible is fantastic!

Hi rmr,

The application is meant as an alternative to the browser.  We are doing some changes to make HubPages more accessible from a mobile phone browser.

In addition, we are writing an application that should work better than the browser since it will written especially for mobile phones.

-Larry

18. nanospeck profile image59
    nanospeckposted 14 years ago

Hi larry,
    Feels like a good idea!But it better to limit the features so that the interface stays simple and agile.

Hi nanospeck,

I agree with you about keeping everything as simple and agile as possible.

The plan is not to change the existing desktop interface but rather develop a special application for mobile phones.

-Larry

19. maguijo profile image61
    maguijoposted 14 years ago

read and post in forums, please!

Hi Maguijo,

We'll do our best to get forum post/read features in the first release.

-Larry

20. amy jane profile image70
    amy janeposted 14 years ago

I think this is a terrific idea and I'm looking forward to using it! Safari on the iPhone doesn't display Hubs nicely at all, so I don't bother trying to keep up with HubPages on the go.
    I don't have ideas to add - I think you have covered everything I would want already.  Can't wait to give it a try!

21. LaVieja profile image61
    LaViejaposted 14 years ago

All sounds good to me - except I feel very left out! When will it be available on Blackberry's????

22. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

There's a app for that lol lol. Ok. smile I think that's a awesome move! can people vote?

23. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

What a wonderful idea!! I love it can't think of anything I have to sleep on this one I am sooooooo excited! smile

24. writer83 profile image56
    writer83posted 14 years ago

sounds like a great idea!

25. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

make sure it also compatible with the iPad, imagine the ability to not only view hubs but even respond to forums or write hubs from your iPad when you are on the go. That would be awesome.

26. G Miah profile image78
    G Miahposted 14 years ago

Editing is possible on the Nokia E71, only not possible to edit the texts as the text capsule does not appear.

I love it! I am writing this through my mobile phone. Even checking the Google Adsense is easily accessible. So is Google Analytics. I am making anyone jealous? Hmm, maybe not. That's not what i want, just wanted to share my ability to be able to access HP whenever and wherever i want.

27. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

Hope we can make use of adsense mobile ads too.

Nice decision to make hubpages mobile friendly.

28. Internetwriter62 profile image76
    Internetwriter62posted 14 years ago

That sounds like a fantastic idea! I know there are probably a lot of details, you will have to iron out to make this technology effective and available, but when its out there, it's going to take the world by storm. I mean when your bored, and on a long train, or plain trip and you don't have your laptop, or book you can still read some great quality articles, written by hubbers everywhere. Great idea!!!

29. marieryan profile image73
    marieryanposted 14 years ago

This is a wonderful innovation, Sorry friends and family, but this means I am going 24/7 hubpages! Oh My Goodness!!!

30. PaulaK profile image83
    PaulaKposted 14 years ago

I am excited about the iphone adaptation. I check emails and Facebook regularly. Will be nice to have Hubpages adapted to the screen, Looking forward to the release!

31. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Nice feature, Thanks!

32. profile image0
    moonphlowerposted 14 years ago

Love this idea...as my iPhone is usually glued to my hand!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)