WaMu in Seattle

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

WaMu fall devastating for Seattle

Jon Talton

Special to The Seattle Times

With JPMorgan Chase's acquisition of Washington Mutual — nuptials probably performed at the end of a shotgun held by panicked regulators — Seattle will no longer be a major banking center. It will be a market, one of hundreds in the JPMorgan Chase empire.

JPMorgan Chase is a good corporate citizen everywhere. But it is not a headquarters company, and the cities on the losing end of deals will feel the pain for years.

The entirely predictable consequence of this deal for Seattle will be the loss of thousands of well-paid jobs, hundreds of thousands of square feet of office space emptied out, and a serious downshifting of local giving. It's through such bloodletting that the numbers make sense for these mergers.

Less quantifiable but equally important will be the loss of a major headquarters as a center for decision-making with national influence, and the ability to attract capital and talent. Instead, through WaMu's bad management and bad luck, Seattle has attracted Jamie Dimon.

A few years ago, JPMorgan Chase Chief Executive Jamie Dimon was riding around Phoenix with the governor of Arizona when he started waxing enthusiastically about Wal-Mart and all that it had to teach U.S. business.

Knowing well about Wal-Mart's low wages, part-time jobs, ravaging of local businesses and poor benefits, the governor was horrified. Dimon backed off. But you get the idea.

Dimon's company, as Bank One, had several years before purchased the largest bank in Arizona and the state's most important corporate citizen. Savage cuts in jobs and influence started then, and have continued even this year.

Or ask Chicago, the former Bank One headquarters — a burg Dimon couldn't wait to blow and get back to New York once he engineered the Morgan deal. Dimon is a New York guy and he could ride back in triumphal laughter, probably laced with his signature profanity. If Dimon curses at you, he likes you.

The business press defines Dimon by his surrogate-son relationship with financier Sandy Weill. The pair took Commercial Credit, then Travelers Insurance, and used acquisitions and the deregulation fever of the 1980s and 1990s to forge Citigroup, which for a while was the nation's largest financial-services outfit. Weill reveled in the spotlight, but Dimon was the brilliant deal guy behind the scenes.

Dimon left after losing a succession battle at Citigroup, which went on to play a major role in the scandals of 2001 before going into a prolonged swoon.

Dimon, meanwhile, went to Chicago. There he took over a so-so regional bank and built it into a lean and fast deal machine, using many of the tactics he had perfected while working with Weill, but taking them to a much higher level. By the time he arrived at the House of Morgan — which a hundred years earlier, before the Federal Reserve existed, was called upon to save the U.S. economy — Dimon was very much his own man.

In interviews, Dimon is blunt and smart, with a wide command of both details and a vision of what he wants to do. He doesn't need to act like the smartest guy in the room. He usually is, and in any event, he's got the power.

That power only increased with the financial crisis that began a year ago, going from a subprime collapse to the near-death experience of the past two weeks. JPMorgan Chase was one of the few big banks healthy enough to help the feds dispose of investment bank Bear Stearns and now Washington Mutual, a company he's long been eyeing.

Weill sought to build the so-called universal bank with Citigroup, offering everything from consumer banking with the old Citibank to investment banking and retail brokerages at Smith Barney to insurance with Travelers. It was a model of the 1990s, sought with less success by the old First Union (now embattled Wachovia), and even Bank of America.

The vision turned out to be flawed, not only because of the costs and difficulty of buying and integrating so many large, formerly independent, companies, but because of the incompatibility of cultures. Bankers and brokers can barely even drink together. The universal bank was so '90s.

Dimon saw this coming and focused on the basics: consumer banking at Chase, and investment banking at JPMorgan. He is legendary for holding down costs — and that means holding down staff size while pushing growth that never morphs into that dangerous variety that we in Seattle might call Killinger's Disease.

Yet even JPMorgan Chase should raise questions for policymakers once the financial emergency passes. In only two decades, deregulation and lack of antitrust enforcement has taken America from a nation with hundreds of sizable, locally focused banks to one with a handful of behemoths.

This has done more than take away jobs and stewardship from cities, concentrating banking in New York and Charlotte. It has created institutions that by their very size are too big to fail. In other words, officials, using the taxpayers' money, can't allow these institutions to go down.

Such huge institutions were defended in the era of deregulation as safer than a universe of smaller banks, even as the woes of Japanese mega-banks were prolonging that country's long, real-estate-based recession. Now size has failed to prevent the present calamity and arguably added to it.

It was the big-banking conglomerates, after all, that successfully lobbied to remove the Depression-era walls and safeguards that would have helped avert this mess. They gambled, backed by federally insured deposits, while paying themselves huge executive compensation packages.

That JPMorgan Chase avoided the worst of this is as much luck as it is Dimon's leadership. Ultimately, some failure is essential for a market economy. This is how the business cycle cleans itself of bad bets before the next upswing can begin.

In banking, depositors are protected. Speculators and bad bankers shouldn't be. Now, with banks too big to fail, the only giant big enough to prop up the contraption is us, the taxpayers.

Jon Talton is a journalist and author living in Seattle. For more than 20 years he has covered business and finance, specializing in urban economies, energy, real estate and economics and public policy. You may reach him at jtalton@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company

More Jon Talton headlines...

E-mail article Print view

About On the Economy
    Jon Talton comments on economic trends and turning points, putting them into context with people, place and the environment in the Pacific Northwest
    jtalton@yahoo.com

More Jon Talton

On the Economy: Washington Mutual didn't have to end like this

On the Economy: Lessons to be learned from how WaMu lost its way

On the Economy: WaMu board stuck with Killinger for too long

On the Economy: In another era, climate would seem ripe for unions

On the Economy: WaMu's fortunes tied to the company it keeps

M's respond to clubhouse anger toward Ichiro

1. Feds seize WaMu in nation's largest bank failure
       2. WaMu fall devastating for Seattle | On the Economy
       3. Turns out, Palin had met with a foreign leader
       4. "Choppway" plan for Alaskan Way Viaduct unveiled
       5. What happens to WaMu depositors, stockholders
       6. Judge: Rossi will be listed as GOP (not Republican) on ballot
       7. Owner of pit bulls who attacked woman, 71, is arrested
       8. Part 3: Mariners' pitching future promising | Rebuilding the Mariners
       9. Microsoft revamps way it pays top executives

1. Feds seize WaMu in nation's largest bank failure
       2. WaMu fall devastating for Seattle | On the Economy
       3. What happens to WaMu depositors, stockholders
       4. M's respond to clubhouse anger toward Ichiro
       5. "Choppway" plan for Alaskan Way Viaduct unveiled
       6. Bin vivant: an invitation to play with your food — and wine | Restaurant Review
       7. Robert Plant and Alison Krauss: An inspired pairing of substance and styles
       8. Area office vacancies and rents climb
       9. Turns out, Palin had met with a foreign leader
      10. Flying high under I-5 at the new mountain bike park

I received this in an e-mail, so you will have to find this guy's articles at the seattletimes.nwsource.com to access the articles.

just more perspective...I don't know but what I read...any one have any opinions?

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wamu was my bank and I have to say my stomach sank on this one. I have not been able to reach anyone at my bank in Arizona as of today , amazingly JP said it would be business as usual. I have deposits to make and do not know if I should place it there or not. I also read an article that stated if you had checks out there and the bank was seized then they would notate "Bank cLOSED" that concerns me, do keep us updated.

2. 02SmithA profile image60
    02SmithAposted 15 years ago

Killinger really drove this company into the ground. It's amazing how long the board stuck with him. I think JP Morgan stands to benefit in a huge way from this.

3. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

It worries me to see all the banks being eaten up by Chase, BOA, and Citi. At my last job, we had a kid who moved to Indiana from Ohio to get out of BOA's call center. He was describing their management style and customer disservice methods and he said they pretty much gutted the benefit plans of the employees and cut all their wages--they bought up some other bank that owned the center when he started.

I hope the next president will address this issue of monopoly. Only one of the candidates will--I hope he wins the election.

4. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

there is so much going on in this financial situation it boggles my mind! How we, government, citizens, everyone, can continue to allow and even promote monopolies is beyond me. I am all for free enterprise, but not mega monopolies. That is not the "American"  way.

There is a "correct capitalism", what I would call the American way; good, healthy and of benefit for everyone...but how to define it is a mystery to me. I just got to keep believing it will be found...but government bailout is not the way without major provisions for the average citizens who had nothing to do with the decisions that created this mess.

I wish I understood it all big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)