Next door and upstairs, always start making noise after midnight sun..

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

Its always after 12am Sunday night -  they dont work, so they dont think about others having to get up or whether they are disturbing others or not.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

when i lived in an apartment, i had neighbors like that, and i was trying to study for school. the first time, i ignored it, the second time i knocked on their door and this drunk guy answered and stuck his face in mine and smiled and babbled something but didn't turn it down, so the 3rd time i called the cops (not 9-1-1 though). they came out and told them they were disturbing the peace. after that, the guy and his girlfriend kept it quiet, then moved out. you should have seen the condition of their apartment - SCANDALOUS!

anyway, nobody wants the law on they a$$, so they kept things quiet after that.

in the meantime, get some of those soft pink squshy earplugs and a floor fan to muffle the noise so you can sleep. good luck.

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Call 911. I know most people do not like to complain about their neighbors but the truth is if they are interfering with your life then they are violating your rights.

3. MyWebs profile image77
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

Yep call the police, but not 911. This is not an emergency and you could get in trouble for making that call in my opinion.

In most areas in the USA after about 10 pm excessive noise can get you a ticket. First time they will probably only get a warning. After that they will get wrote up by the man.

You only say "Making noise". Living below someone your going to hear every time they walk across the floor and such. This is to be expected and you just got to deal with that. But now if they have their stereo blasting, are screaming and fighting....thats a different story.

I keep weird hours and try and be quiet when normal people sleep out of respect. But you can't really expect a person to play quiet as a mouse because your sleeping and its the middle of the day for them because they work 2nd or 3rd shift.

4. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Althogh you might want to check that they are not armed gangsters before youcall the police tongue

5. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

You will not get into trouble for calling 911 for this I have done it many times. If you are making a valid complaint there is nothing wrong. you will get into trouble for calling 911 to make harassing complaints or false accusations.

1. MyWebs profile image77
      MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always thought 911 was only for emergencies, life or property are in danger. If not then the regular police number should be called. I do know you can get in trouble for misusing 911. How often they enforce this is another issue.

http://www.co.cowlitz.wa.us/Commcenter/what_is_911.html does say not to call 911 for noise complaints.

You are tying up 911 while a person who has a real emergency could be put on hold so you can complain about your neighbor?. Sorry i don't think so.

2. profile image0
      JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is not a 911 call. I'm a first responder and work with 911. Calling for this is a waste of resource for people who are in dire need. What if you needed an ambulance or police or fire because of something serious and you were waiting on line for someone to say their neighbours are making noise?
      People die because of waiting fo stuff like this.
      Call your city police or landlord

1. TamCor profile image80
        TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, I think it depends on where you live.  We live in a small city, about 28,000 people, and the two times I called the non-emergency number here, I was told to call 911 to deal with my issue. 

I felt really bad calling 911 about a barking dog, but that's what they told me to do!  I just tried to keep it really short and to the point when talking to the dispatcher.

Tammy

1. profile image0
          JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That seems odd. We have a very narrow time line in which to make a difference in an emergency.  This would be even more important in a small centre with few dispatchers.

1. TamCor profile image80
            TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree--I thought so, too, but that's what they told me.  I've heard from a few others that they were told the same thing...so who knows? smile

Tammy

1. Ivorwen profile image65
              Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where I live, you get the same person, with either number, but with 911 the call is recorded and they ask more questions.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

911 is for emergencies only and you can be charged if you call them for a non-emergency.

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

salt lives in australia, is 911 universal?

I would think it would have to be a substantial 'noise' to report them to the police.  911 is for emergency.

I guess just part of the arrangement of living in apartments. you are going to hear what goes on above you.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I have a similar neighbor. She comes home late and night and it sounds like she has or is an elephant. I hear every step she takes and she seems to walk around for hours on end. She has woken me up several times in the middle of the night. I never heard the last person who lived there at all. I've only called security on her once because she was blaring music at 1am. She's not as annoying though as the family down the hall that let their kid run up and down the hall screaming; thankfully it's usually before 11...but not always...

9. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Tylenol PM and foam earplugs will do the trick smile Or just go up and be the good neighbor and speak to them so they know they are disturbing you. If they continue to disturb you afterward then move it to the next level, inform the Apt. Management, then the police. Do what you can do first then let others handle what you can't.

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

In the UK the normal method for dealing with noise nuisance in an ongoing situation is to call your local Town Council Environmental Health Dept. They can set up a noise detector to see what decibels are reached, and if they go over a certan level they will assist you with a court ordered Noise Prohibition Order.
    For immediate attention, call your local police station and ask for an officer to visit to ask them to turn down the noise.
    Alternatively, ask them yourself.

11. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

I know them a little and dont get involved in their life, they try to connect to us, but I cant cope with them. Neither of them work and the lady upstairs is in her late 50s to early 60's and spends her time knocking on a boy of 30's door ... she needs company her own age, but doesnt seem to seek it.

We dont have 911 and it is interesting, because in this state there is only 000 if you want police attendance, where in other states, that is emergency only. With the bushfires last year, 000 would have been an important number and many said they couldnt get through to emergency numbers.

So I just say loudly so they can here, that they are making noise after 12am and that it is always Sunday night... I dont knock on their door because I cant cope with them.

I dont really have a different solution. I am looking to move asap.

12. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

thankyou, all quiet now and Im up until after 3am - I feel mean when I say something, as we make noise too sometimes, but rarely after 12am.

I wish them well, just cant cope with the noise they make - and I think part of it has to do with personalities too, as I feel uncomfortable when they are talking away.

13. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Not that I mean to bicker with those that dis agree with my opinion of 911 because i do understand the point. I am simply saying that where I live it has never been an issue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)