I am new to hubpages. Please guide me on some questions.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. pankaj3625 profile image72
    pankaj3625posted 15 years ago

Hi friends,

I am Pankaj Pathak from New Delhi, India. I have started hubbing for the last 3 weeks and created around 5 hubs, signed up for adsense and Kontera, trying to understand social bookmarking.  Please can you tell me how to do social bookmarking, linking, and SEO kind of stuff, as I want to get good hits on my site and increased traffic. Please advise.

2. EpicTreeHouse profile image60
    EpicTreeHouseposted 15 years ago

Thomas,

I think you're wrong on putting links to other hubs and websites.  What you really want is one way links to your hub or website.  Not the other way around.  As Far As anchor text links, what does that have to do with anything SEO related other than for inbound links, not for outbound links like you would put in your hub.

The best way to get your hubs started right is to get a major blog PR6-9 to link to you and then do the social bookmarking stuff as well.  That will really help you.  Another thing you can do is post to blogs that have nofollow turned off for comments.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Actually, internal linking between hubs is extremely effective from an search engine optimization standpoint.  Also, linking to authority sites can also help establish the legitimacy of your content... provided you're not just copy-pasting from those sites.

3. EpicTreeHouse profile image60
    EpicTreeHouseposted 15 years ago

Maddie,

You're right that it is effective, but it has to be in context.  Also it doesn't benefit YOUR hub or website, it benefits whoever you are linking to with link juice, exposure, etc, etc.  So if you link to your own hubs then you get the benefit, but linking in and of it self isn't a good thing.

I have a theory on authority site listings.  I think what happens is you link to an authority and either through ping backs, or them actually linking to you or whatever you get the link juice.  I don't think Google's algorithm takes to much into account on linking to authority.  If it did you just have to link to the top 100 links on your topic for better SEO.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Of course, I thought that was a given.

No, I don't think that would be effective.  Take keywords, for example.  More is not better, beyond a certain point.  Google notices when you keyword-stuff, and penalize it, so I am sure they would notice if you just plunked a bunch of unrelated, high-PR links on your site and penalize accordingly.

1. EpicTreeHouse profile image60
        EpicTreeHouseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So would you say that if I had a website http://gizoo.com and had 20 pages on Gizoos and linked to 5 other high-PR links of related material per page that that would improve my standing with google?

4. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 15 years ago

"  I don't think Google's algorithm takes to much into account on linking to authority.  If it did you just have to link to the top 100 links on your topic for better SEO."

I cannot understand the above statement that linking to good or top links helps or does not help.  For example, if I make a hub on "home remedies for cough and cold" so if I just go to google or yahoo and type the same keywords "home remedies for cough and cold" and press enter, then google will display all the links according to their page rank, am I right.

Then what I have been doing is copying shortcut of the top 5 links which are according to my topic and linking them or pasting them in my hub.

I am very curious and confused about this aspect, that what should I link to "the top 5 links or something else".

Somewhere on hubpages, I read a few days back that 5 good links should be there on your hub to get better page rank for your hub.

5. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I'd suggest that you sign up for the Thirty Day Challenge, and work through the material you'll find there.

It's completely free, and will give you an excellent education on many current and effective methods of SEO, and introduce you to may analysis tools.

The objective of the challenge is to make $10 on the internet in 30 days.
    So what, you may say. That's peanuts.
    Of course the REAL benefit is getting a sound education in all of the basic principles of web 2.0 and using it to make money.

And yes, Ed Dale and Dan Raine do promote an advanced membership program, but you don't need to join this to get an excellent education.

Good Luck,
    Eric G.

6. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Maddie works for HP guys - listen to what she's saying - one of the requirement for flagship hubs is 10 outbound links to relevant quality sites - that's not accidental either.

1. EpicTreeHouse profile image60
      EpicTreeHouseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This isn't the 15th Century, and appeal to higher authority isn't a valid argument.  If you can show me where outgoing links to authority sources improve your SEO, then I'm willing to believe you.  I just don't see any evidence for this.  That it effects your hub score, no doubt.  That's why the flagship requires 10 outbound links.  The fact that a website owner might notice and link back to you from a higher PR site, sure.  But outbound linking does not improve SEO in and of it self.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do, I'm just saying don't be deceived into thinking it is a signifigant part of SEO.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)