Don't you hate it when...

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (17 posts)
  1. FranyaBlue profile image73
    FranyaBlueposted 13 years ago

someone asks you for your opinion and then they get angry because they don't like what you think.

Why bother asking?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No - It is often possible to identify those people asking a question for validation of their own beliefs that are not really interested in contrary opinions. wink

FranyaBlueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark I don't like your opinion, how dare you disagree with me! smile

But really, why get angry about it?

To avoid the nasty situation I would have to lie....even if I said no comment I would be giving away my real thoughts and be no better off....it's just a stupid trap.

1. mythbuster profile image70
          mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But it's not just a trap if you suspend your beliefs as much as possible, first, then listen to the other person.

You may not have to lie and say you appreciate their opinion when you really don't (not meaning YOU exactly - just you=the person involved in this)...that is, if you can actually respect what they're saying.

I think this is something that takes actual effort and practice and that usually (at least in North America where I'm from) people aren't being taught the skill of listening - while we are taught all sorts of things about expressing (free speech laws?) and how to do information output...

I have been in a dilemma, myself, trying to learn this better listening thing and suspension of belief - because nobody ever brought this to my attention and I had to actually go into classes about a half decade ago to learn how to start being respectful with other peoples' opinions...

I didn't really mean lie to appreciate their opinion I meant lie about my opinion to avoid hurt feelings of the person asking.

If someone asks my opinion I will usually give it straight, perhaps I am a bit insensitive but what I think is what I think.

If the other person actually listens to the opinion they have asked for, suspend their beliefs like you said, and take it in then it would be good for them, I just don't understand why people ask for an opinion when they don't really want one.

1. kcreery profile image60
              kcreeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just agree with them and see if that placates them.  You are entitled to your opinion.  Sometimes people don't like to hear opposite views.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup - It is a trap. You will see a lot of that in the religion and politics forums..... big_smile

lol very true....just a game of batting questions back and forth...people don't bother with understanding answers just with trying to think of what question they can bat back. or no questions at all....just blatant ignorant rambles smile

2. Origin profile image60
      Originposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think some people want a pat on the back, rather than constructive criticism. But who knows. smile

probably. But I just hate it when someone asks me when they don't really want to know what I think. It's like that old question 'Does my bum look big in this?'

I'm just having a moan really smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's a Whine and cheese thread currently on the boards.

Thanks Rochelle. I'm in need of more moan therapy.

3. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you really want me to answer this question...

or will you hit me if i do?

lol, no I'm not the violent type smile

2. goldenpath profile image66
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

Don't you hate it when your finger gets stuck in your nose?  Thank the Man upstairs for the Fire Department... smile

lol Never had my finger stuck up my nose (well, not permanently) but had my arm stuck behind a radiator....took 7 fire men to free me smile

1. goldenpath profile image66
        goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pooooop!  I bet that sucked.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)