Commercial Dog Foods is Not the Best Foods for Our Dogs

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

Our dogs only eat home made!

1. profile image51
      michaeldavposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you.  All that they say in advertisement is just rubbish. Even I prefer to give my dog home made food.
      http://www.healthproductreviewers.com/l … eview.html

1. profile image52
        kristieyocum85posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Making homemade dog food is not hard, but will take some time and effort. There are many recipes available, which include beef, chicken, rice and vegetables to name a few. You can find more information here: http://www.homemadedogfoodrecipesguide.com

2. L3B0 profile image61
    L3B0posted 13 years ago

Our dogs are spoilt and basically eat human food, really strange but pricey. I would think that commercial dog food is best for them. smile

3. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

It depends on the dog food. There are some that do not contain any fillers or preservatives and are all natural. They can be pricey, but they're worth it.

4. profile image53
    nukeboyposted 13 years ago

I found a food made in Ohio, never had a recall, all natural ingredients, no corn.  It's so good I'm going to sell it in Michigan.  Private label, less money than the premium store brands.

5. Aiden Roberts profile image69
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Strictly organic topped up with a little fish in oil for my babies. They love it and it saves money compared to commercial brand foods.

6. michellehouser profile image60
    michellehouserposted 13 years ago

You are absolutely right that commercial dog food is a very poor diet for your dog.  Most are full of fillers such as corn and do not have whole meat sources such as chicken, salmon or lamb. 

Instead they use meat by-products from the left overs of slaughtering plants, rendering plants and can even include euthanized animals. 

You should always choose a quality dog food for your dog.  There really is no one dog food or dog food diet that is right for every dog. 

Instead, you need to evaluate your dog's individual nutritional needs and energy requirements and use those details to start narrowing down your choices. 

You should also learn to read and understand the misleading ingredients on the labels. 

These are the things that will lead you to the best dog food for your furry friend.

7. urbanpetca profile image61
    urbanpetcaposted 13 years ago

Definitely. Commercial food can have so many additives and fillers, otherwise, if you choose the right one, you would be surprised!. Check out this blog entry I did: http://urban-pet.ca/up/2010/06/holistic-dog-food/ , I got inspired by my little Yorkie! He LOVES organic food. smile

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your dogs and cats are "human" too, they need different food, they need raw food, vitamins, nutrients and life outside our home too! If you stick your poor domestic animal into a  small apartment on the 12th floor, feed only dry food and never let him/her out, don't expect it to be healthy. Recently my bosses' cat died from sarcoma. They never gave her anything but special expensive dry cat food they were buying from a veterinatian. Some special! My two cats eat everything meat and fish including cat food.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

so.. what are the best alternatives. I can't really afford $40./ bag for science diet. he's a retriever/chow mix.

1. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try adding leftovers to whatever dog food you can afford to get.

Do you have a garbage disposal? Stop using it. Let your dogs enjoy some of what you don't need. It's less wasteful, and that's how the dog/man friendship began.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have read different opinions of feeding leftovers to dogs.
        while growing up, we fed all of our dogs leftovers and I have continued to do so until our current dog.
        I can't remember where I read that it wasn't best..
        he does hover around the dinner table..

also, thanks homegirl for the advice.

1. evesmart01 profile image58
          evesmart01posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Feeding your dog some of your leftovers is fine depending on what it is because whatever it is may contain ingredients that are harmful to dogs.

There's a list of 33 human foods that are toxic to dogs at:

http://healthyhomemadedogfoodrecipes.co … d-your-dog

Better to be safe than sorry.

2. profile image0

I agree with Aya, just make sure leftovers are fresh!

2. profile image0

And you don't have to, though human food is not cheap either. I never had dogs, only cats, so somebody else can give you better information. For many centures people had dogs and cats and only recently they started to feed their animals with "bags" instead of food. They do not need science diet, just food. They can eat meat and bones, cooked soft bones, meat soups and stews. My idea, if you add any cheap dry dog's food into some meat soup like chicken, they would love it. Add some rice or potatoes to it as a filler, why not? Befriend a butcher!

3. santos88 profile image68
      santos88posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to feed science diet. That is actually one of the commercial foods in question that are bad for dogs. It is full of corn and other cheap fillers. Feed something like Blue Buffalo or Orijen. They are cheaper than the food sold by vets and about 20 times healthier.

9. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

My cat eats human food too....

10. desdemonadarcei profile image59
    desdemonadarceiposted 13 years ago

You might want to try organic food, some commercial food uses by-products which is in the long run not too beneficial for your dog. Your dog can have human food, if made correctly bearing in mind the daily nutrients they require in their diet.

11. Green Lotus profile image61
    Green Lotusposted 13 years ago

From one who has actually test-tasted dog food, (see my hub), I agree with desdemonadarcei, go organic. Dog food is NOT FDA approved and many brands use rancid meat by products! sad

12. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

Actually most commercial dog foods are horribly bad for dogs...they contain things, such as gluton, that are harmful to dogs! Dogs are suppose to be carnivores...like wolves... they shouldn't be eating specific meals that can irritate digestive sytem (such as corn, wheat or soy) and by products that are in dog food. Some dog foods are made correctly, but you wont find these better dog foods at wal-mart or your local grocery store. You have to go to a pet store to get them. And many at the pet stores are bad too.

If you feed your dog all meat then that is great! You shouldn't feed dogs bread or other things humans eat!

If you feed your dog meat, be sure to also be giving them doggy bones of some sort for their teeth. (make sure you research which doggy bones are good).

Here's a few dog foods that are actually good for your dog:

Blue Buffalo Dog food
    Nutro (not as good as Blue Buffalo but much better than many)

13. pointblank profile image61
    pointblankposted 13 years ago

i dont have dogs or cats.

14. profile image52
    Delilah13q1posted 13 years ago

Please don't give your pets bones especially cooked ones.  They are dangerous.  They can get caught in their throats or turn into "concrete" in the bowels.  Also no fatty meats.  Pancreatitis is a BIG problem. These are two common problems vets see.
    Where are people finding information about euthanized animals in pet food? Most people take their pets home or have them sent to a pet crematorium. Where would you find that many euthanized pets to be profitable.  Shelters also cremate. Certainly sounds like a urban myth to me.

1. Just Ask Susan profile image88
      Just Ask Susanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All bones for dogs are good for them as long as you do not cook them. Chicken bones should be given raw. They splinter when cooked as do any cooked bone. Dogs have the power in their teeth to crush bones. I used to feed my dogs raw but can no longer afford to so now they are on kibble but they still get raw bones.

1. profile image52
        Delilah13q1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Living in a rural area we are presented with bone related emergencies weekly.  Hunting season is the worst.  Check with your vet.

1. Just Ask Susan profile image88
          Just Ask Susanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have done extensive research on feeding raw to dogs. I have spoken with hundreds of people that feed raw from breeders to dog owners. I would have never fed raw if I had felt that it was not safe.

15. ceeshelman profile image61
    ceeshelmanposted 13 years ago

I know that I spend a lot of time these days promoting the BARF Diet...make it yourself style; however, I have done quite a bit of research recently and have found a number of excellent products on the market.  They are not that easy to find because the big commercial dog foods have a corner on the advertising market, but they are out there.  Keep looking if you have given up on looking the old fashioned way--going to the pet store in your car.  www.hypoallergenicdogfoodhome.com
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4651244_f248.jpg

16. Purple Perl profile image49
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Jerry and Brownie get only home cooked meals. An occasional chewstick or a handful of nutripet or pedigree.

17. profile image0
    eminator21posted 12 years ago

I completely agree! Most commercial brands are over processed and consist of ingredients that do more harm than good. Like food coloring, flavoring and meals meant to bulk up and lessen unit prices. Feed your dog real meat and vegetables! He doesn't need liver meal microwaved with corn syrup till its hard as a rock.

18. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

We prefer the Raw Food diet. Meat only. It's amazing the differences we have seen since starting.

19. profile image0
    Tamarindposted 11 years ago

A dog food with no fillers is the best of course. Some can be pricey and there are many different brands to choose from. Something natural and organic is the best of course. One of the great things about food with no fillers is that the dog will need to eat less, enough to be healthy though, but they will need less because of the better nutrition. They will also go to the bathroom less because their bodies don't have to process out all the "filler" stuff. My sister's dog won't even eat food with fillers, I don't know if it's because the dog is half wolf and will hunt when it can:) It takes one smell of a regular cheap dog food and get this look on it's face like it is absolutely disgusted:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)