My guess: EC is based mainly on hubscore.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I finally got an EC for my highest scored hub at 94.

2. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I decided to opt in, one of my ECs is in 80s. The rest are in the 90s so I guess you may be right.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Edit: I think it's the title that holds the most weight. I changed a title to improve search optimization and it became EC. I did not edit any part of the hub. Same hub, improved title. Now they are all 90s.

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I don't think so. I got one EC for one of my better performing hubs; better being a relative term sad  My only other EC is for my worst performing hub of all time. It is a very detailed hub based on my professional experience and was written on one of the weekly inspiration topics, so supposedly covers a subject that gets many searchers. It had, however, been idled countless times because of no traffic and was always languishing near the bottom of the hub score pile. It has not had a single visit since becoming an EC some weeks ago.

4. HollieT profile image80
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

I've just discovered that one of mine is now an EC. Not sure when it happened because I rarely check my stats anymore. I was fairly pleased with this hubs performance, hope the EC helps rather than hinders.

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I don't think hub score has much to do with it, or traffic.  In the most recent blog, it states:
    There are many factors that go into our assessment including, the quality of the writing and media, the aesthetics and layout, the number and quality of links, whether the Hub is specific and answers the question of the title in a clear and robust way, the usefulness of the Hub, and the Hub’s competition with other Hubs.
    If you look at your EC hub in this light, it may answer a few questions as to why it was chosen.

1. psycheskinner profile image85
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

On re-reading my new EC I found quite a few typos, so it beats me.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to try to make my hubs more specific and robust.  Not quite sure how to do the robust part... that's a term  you hardly hear anymore. smile  .

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

They could have said to make them clear and fragrant. I think I could pull off fragrant before I could manage robust.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92

I'm looking at my Thesaurus : Burly, muscular , rugged muscular--hale and hearty? -- What about us girls?  We have to do that? Makes me tired to think about it.
          Fragrant or even flagrant might be doable.

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry... I can't really think clearly after that description.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
              Pearldiverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sheeesh...... It's not that hard...

Just think like a Man! 

A Robust One!   smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  I think more of Octoberfest when I hear the word robust.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92

That could apply... I thought of robbusta coffee. (spelling optional, or wrong.)

6. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I don't think it's all hubscore, but that may be one factor.  I have some 100's that are EC, but I also have a couple at 79 that are EC as well.  I think it has more to do with orginality and meeting the quality criteria of a "stellar" hub - words, properly attributed pics, and all the bells and whistles.

1. ologsinquito profile image83
      ologsinquitoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

WriterFox, do you still recommend opting out of EC? Thanks in advance.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I opted out and haven't changed my opinion.  I don't think I made a recommendation for others, but I certainly voiced my opinion on a number of forum threads.  I do not think the EC program is healthy for the website and I am still suspicious about the possible marginalization of subdomains as a plan, suspicions which were confirmed with the implementation of the navigational changes on September 22. 

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117245
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115372
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/116372
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117245
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117315

Because site navigation was also changed, users can't find the Topic pages – where all featured Hubs are listed – from the majority of Hubs on the site (the non-EC Hubs), because the navigation from non-EC Hubs only shows Hubs on a Hubber's own subdomain. This was a loss in potential traffic for all Hubs on the site. (There is a small benefit for non-EC Hubs in that the navigation from EC Hubs leads to the Topic pages where non-EC Hubs can be found.) Unfortunately, many Topic pages have no EC Hubs so there are no navigational links to them from Hubs.

Overall traffic to the HP site has not increased since the EC program began on August 8th and is about 100,000 less per day in October from the same month in 2012. HP traffic was 982,544 on September 22, when the navigational changes began, and was 953,020 yesterday.

1. ologsinquito profile image83
          ologsinquitoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I opted out shortly after you discussed your reasons for doing so, but I was wondering whether I should maybe opt in. I don't know what to do. I'll think about it. Thanks again.

7. Jenn-Anne profile image75
    Jenn-Anneposted 10 years ago

Well I finally had two hubs selected as Editor's Choice... and they are my recipie hubs - the hubs I spent the LEAST amount of time writing and that have the fewest "bells and whistles" (no maps/polls/quizzes/etc). They also have the highest hubscores. They are NOT my highest traffic hubs, although they do OK. These hubs have gotten more traffic from Pinterest than any of my other hubs - so maybe that's why they were selected?  They are not at all what I would have expected to be chosen as Editors Choice and I am now more confused than ever about how things are supposed to work here. I think I'm supposed to feel encouraged but I don't really.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)