What is a good hub score?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (50 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

My hub scores range from 65 to 87 as of the last time I looked.  My average is 73.  To me it seems like I have a "C" average. I'm disappointed and discouraged.  I am doing everything that is recommend to get a good score.

It is disheartening not to get a feedback. For instance, "mistakes in grammar and spelling," "needs more photos." It would be so helpful if I knew what needed fixing.

I think the rating other hubbers give my hub affects my score? Is the object make a whole bunch of "friends" who will give you good ratings? Sometimes it feels like this is all just a huge game, only no one tells you the rules and the rules keep changing.

And I have earned less than $2.00 for probably 100 hours of work over the last 6 weeks. As I said, discouraging.

CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My scores now range from 74 to 90, with an average of 80, so I feel better.

2. Jasmeetk profile image79
      Jasmeetkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My score is ranging between 55-60b these days. Working on it to make it better.

1. NNazir profile image68
        NNazirposted 4 years agoin reply to this

\I think a hub score > 60 is needed for a hub to enjoy 'featured' statue. because hubs that have a score < 60 are not 'featured'.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

90-100 would be considered a GOOD Hub score.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

One of the toughest things about Hubbing is to learn to ignore HubScores and Hubber Score.  They don't confer any advantages - they're simply meant as a motivational tool - and they tell you nothing about your earning ability.   

HubScore is not a measure of quality.  There are several measures involved but a major one is traffic - and obviously, a new Hub hasn't got much traffic.  That's why a new Hub always has a low score.  HubScore tells you how well a Hub is doing, not how good it is. 

Your Hubs won't start earning an income until they're ranked well enough in Google for people to find them. Unless you're very lucky, it will take a while for your Hub to move up the rankings enough to be noticed - in fact, some Hubs can take a year or more!

1. AngelaRM profile image82
      AngelaRMposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My hub is doing very well traffic wise, yet my hub score keeps falling. I don't really get it either. And it seems like I'm getting paid less for the same amount or more views. I'm so confused on how this all works.

hmmm...I thought traffic directly affects hubscores!

2. NNazir profile image68

I disagree.  Traffic has direct impact on hub score. I think a hub score > 60 is needed for a hub to enjoy 'featured' statue. All my hub < 60 score aren't featured so traffic > good score > featured.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

What is a good hub score?

One that doesn't keep dropping and dropping and dropping....

Every morning, I approach my stats page with increasing trepidation.

Oh,well.

think a hub score > 60 is needed for a hub to enjoy 'featured' statue. Your hub score has gotta be 60+

4. ChrisGibson profile image84
    ChrisGibsonposted 9 years ago

I'm not entirely sure how all that works. It seems like I put a bunch of work into one and it got a 91. Then I put the same out of attention into another hub and it comes out with a 76... I think there's a lot more to it than just having good flow and following their guidelines.

5. lady rain profile image95
    lady rainposted 9 years ago

Based on my own observation, a good hub score is one that does not fall below 80. Hubs that are below 80 tend to fluctuate in hub scores and hardly attract any traffic.

6. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Hubscores typically improve over time. Be patient. I have had hubs that have been 65 that are now in the 90s.

1. ChrisGibson profile image84
      ChrisGibsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that recently. One of mine that started at 68 is now at 78... What does that come from? Just people rating it over time?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Part of the calculation of HubScore is based on the amount of traffic a Hub is getting.

Basically, HubScore is not a reflection of how good a Hub is, it's a reflection of how well it's doing.

I see strength in your argument.

2. NNazir profile image68

That means a rise in traffic. I'm 80% sure!

7. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Hubs that continue to get traffic over time, stay featured for months in a row, and feature quality content improve over time. They gain authority overall which improves their score

8. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

Since Catherine brought it up, do other people's ratings of your hub affect the score?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, other people's rating has an infinitesimally small impact on HubScore.

9. FayeM profile image66
    FayeMposted 9 years ago

I have no idea. I think anything over a 70? At least that is what I am going by..

10. Oztinato profile image77
    Oztinatoposted 9 years ago

I believe there is quite a bit of the social media influence whereby friends get together to artificially inflate traffic.
    The oddest thing Ive seen so far is a 93 suddenly dropped to about 83 due to a title change tweak. 
        e

11. Pico Triano profile image89
    Pico Trianoposted 9 years ago

I've decided it's all some kind of black magic I don't understand. When I make a hub,  it seems to be a roll of the dice. Right now I'm happy with anything over 70. My average is 77. They seem to fluctuate with no real rhyme or reason.

12. S T Alvyn profile image66
    S T Alvynposted 9 years ago

I cannot see any logical reason despite adding the video, poll, map etc. I have had some that have fluctuated down when I tied them up! The ones I considered okay are higher than the ones I feel are better. I don't think hub rating indicates quality or how god they are
    (in my case) but how they are presented and with what features. For some articles, there is no map or video to be added so I assume I will be marked down for that, but I see little point of adding something for the sake of a hub score. Life is too short to source a video that may tie in with your article for the sake of a couple of points IMHO.

13. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I'm a newbie and I am starting to understand this better. I too will only use the extras when they add something, and not just to jump through hoops. My conclusion is the score is a combination of the elements added, the traffic and engagement, hop-a-hub ratings, and whatever else is in the black box.  I don't think it is only traffic because my hub with the most traffic and engagement has the lowest score. 

When I first started, I read something in the forum about not having too many amazon ads. This low-rated hub has a lot of amazon ads.  But just as I wont put an element in for the sake of a high score, I won't take something out. The ads are an important part of the article.They serve as a visual break between sections. The article is built around the quotes of famous people and I illustrate it with their books.

I figure these ratings mean something about the hubs "success potential"--its ability to earn money-- so I want to get a high score. But I'm not going to take it so personally anymore.  A low score doesn't mean it is not a well-written useful, enjoyable article.

1. nurse240 profile image60
      nurse240posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good morning Catherine,

Just wanted to touch base with you on your question. I am also a newbie to the Hubpages community. I am trying to figure all of this out and am also confused on many issues, but I guess all we can do is read everything including the forums to become educated in what this is all about. I also thought, "Gee, if I were in school I would be getting C's and I want A's, lol." I will pursue on and see where this takes me. Take care and good luck, and remember you are not the only one rowing in your boat. We all have similar questions.

Carolann

2. bnayr profile image67
      bnayrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for putting your question forward. I have not been active on HubPages for long and was also curious on how their scoring system works.smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you check the learning center entry about Stats, Hub Score and Hubber Score, it gives factors as to how the scores are calculated.  It's not only traffic, but quality of traffic sources plays a part.  Also, with all hubs going through the QAP, this affects their score.  An excerpt from the entry explains:

HubScores are based on a wide range of different factors, including the amount of traffic your Hub gets, your reputation in the community, reader response to your Hubs (e.g. voting them up or down, leaving comments, sharing Hubs in the Feed, and leaving Hubber feedback), and the uniqueness of your content. With this being the case, getting more traffic to your Hubs over time will certainly improve your HubScore, but keep in mind that the quality of your traffic will also influence the metric (if a higher percentage of your traffic comes from reputable sources, you'll see a more positive effect on your HubScore).

14. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 9 years ago

I have been here 6 years and still can't figure out the scores on my hub. I have seen a low score hub in the 60s suddenly go to the 80s. You never know what will happen with a hub.

1. nurse240 profile image60
      nurse240posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the input, it helps us newbies.

15. taiwokareem profile image62
    taiwokareemposted 9 years ago

i see mine fluctuating as well. It is a concern though but it changed from 80 to 60 to 70 and so on. Now im not so sure and I just write on

CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I went back to my very first hubs and fixed some technical things that I didn't know about then.  I added captions to photos and I put my own name as the source for my own pictures--stuff like that. The next day, my scores were up 10 points.  But, the scores on my other hubs went up also.  So I don't know what to think.

16. profile image0
    temptor94posted 9 years ago

It's true, the profile score and hub score doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of our hubs. A major factor in the rise and fall of the scores is traffic, and also our participation in various questions, forums and hubs. These scores are more of a motivational factor and don't have anything to do with the earnings.

17. watergeek profile image96
    watergeekposted 9 years ago

It's weird. My consistently best read hub is rated 92, but there are 17 hubs rated the same or above that don't get nearly the traffic. In looking through, I just noticed a hub rated 94 that used to be down in the high 70's. It's been rated only once by a reader and has around six comments. It hasn't received any traffic in the last week and not a lot before that. It's a great hub, I believe, and an unusual topic (meditation in the bath), so maybe that has something to do with it. Otherwise I don't understand the rating system either.

18. abidareacode profile image68
    abidareacodeposted 9 years ago

Whatever may be told about hubber score , every one desires to have a good score.Almost all people here says that it is not to be a thing to be worried.But to get a self motivation every one needs to be with a good score. So I think there should be a clear cut criteria(in description) for this score as they are displayed in profile.

19. Cheeky Kid profile image97
    Cheeky Kidposted 9 years ago

It's a wonder I have a hubscore of 93 while other people seem to struggle with it. I don't know what the exact formula for it though and I guess it doesn't really have an effect or something. big_smile

20. joween18 profile image82
    joween18posted 9 years ago

My hubscore dropped from 84 to 77 unfortunately, and I'm quite affected by that..
    I don't know what happened and how do they compute hub score, I read the the faqs, but still can't find the answer.. I really need more technical details.

I currently have 10 hubs published, 9 featured and 1 not featured..

21. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

I thought I read once that new hubbers get a boost. That is probably to motivate them to keep writing. Is that true?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We do start new accounts out at a certain level so people do not start out at 0.
      As a new user then submits Hubs to the QAP, the quality scores are then reflected in their HubberScore.

1. profile image0
        LisaKeatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Matthew!

22. Annie Wright profile image79
    Annie Wrightposted 9 years ago

Hi,

Still kind of new here so I'm wondering what is a good hub score? I'd like to know a number, it would help. I'm trying to increase my traffic. Another question I have is I've read from a couple others that it took a year before Google Ad Sense let them sign up. I've got my 10 features done and moved up 1 step here. Checked for the answer but nothing gives me a number telling what a hub score means

23. pradiiphira profile image69
    pradiiphiraposted 9 years ago

Even my average score is now 63, but when I was active here my score was 80+.

I think now it will increase as I start again working here and I will be active now, as I think our activity level affects our hub's score directly.

1. abidareacode profile image68
      abidareacodeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes , activity here is straightly related to hub score. But I think old hubbers have to do good work to rise their hub score. Freshers are given rather good score ( I think above 80 at joining itself)

24. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

The point of the scores are to help show you  how you are doing.  This means that they are not unimportant.  While you can go crazy trying to get 100, you should get at least 85. 

It may seem hard to do without specific feedback, especially when there is a random element that is built into the algorithm.  There are ways to do that though.  Since the Hubber score is mostly composed of the scores of your hubs, the focus should be on the hubs.

Write hubs that focus on the reader.  Think about what they would want to read - not just your personal story, but what's in it for the reader? Provide knowledge or entertainment. Make sure your hubs are of high quality.  This means that you have checked your hub for grammar and spelling before publishing.  It means that you provide a lot of useful information to your reader, in a way that is pleasing to the eye. Yes, the "pleasing to the eye" when put in computer language means that it has lots of text capsules with headings,  images, tables, maps, videos, etc. that break up the hub.

I increased the average of my hub scores by re-reading all of my hubs, and correcting any errors, including spelling and grammar errors. Sometimes a sentence didn't make as much sense in the second reading as it did when I originally read it.  Sometimes, there were technical glitches, such as words out of place.  I made sure that what I said made sense and was as clear as it could be.  I tried to think of anything else the reader might want to know about the subject and added that in, and made sure that there wasn't anything in there that was extraneous. Some of these hubs might have came back with a lower score than they had originally, but I knew they were better quality. And overall, the average of my scores did go up.

Here's a Learning Center article about Hub Scores.
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubs … bber-score

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very well put!

2. abidareacode profile image68
      abidareacodeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Millionaire Tips. Regarding the "useful information" I think is quite difficult to decide because a hubber will write on a thing which he seems to be relevant and hopes to be useful to others. So I think the score is mainly associated with activities in HP.

25. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

A good hubscore is anything above 84........

26. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 8 years ago

Many of us are feeling exactly the same. It is very frustrating and this game has a lot of good writers walking away or simply not bothering to create new work here.

27. NNazir profile image68
    NNazirposted 4 years ago

Yes, traffic has direct impact on hub score. I think a hub score > 60 is needed for a hub to enjoy 'featured' statue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)