HubPages Acquiring Key Content from Squidoo

Jump to Last Post 101-111 of 111 discussions (560 posts)
  1. TreasuresBrenda profile image76
    TreasuresBrendaposted 9 years ago

Good question, Katinka. I've been wondering how we are going to differentiate between pages from Squidoo that we have worked on and that meet HubPages standards and those that we still need to edit.

2. Elsie Hagley profile image70
    Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years ago

@ Solaras, Thanks for that advice, I didn't know we could do that, it will be very helpful in getting hubs sorted out after the transfer.

3. Paula Atwell profile image67
    Paula Atwellposted 9 years ago

Ellen, I think she meant on the profile page. Sorting doesn't change that, does it?

4. Sarah Switalski profile image70
    Sarah Switalskiposted 9 years ago

Please blog it GreekGeek! I will need to reference it often in the days to come!

5. profile image0
    Kidz Cardsposted 9 years ago

Will all the content on our lenses be transferred?

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Uh Oh!  I inadvertantly created a site years 10 years ago that was actually at Trademark /Copyrighted name to another company.  Thankfully I was sent an email to let me know this.  I ended up shutting the thing down anyway.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good decision.  You're fortunate the people were nice about it.  Otherwise, it could have cost you some big bucks!

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Writer Fox is right,  Making A Mark Art Program .

Exactly.
      http://txch.org/arts-in-medicine/making-a-mark

It can get especially expensive when the Trademark violation presents consumer confusion, because the violator is using it for the same product, i.e., art:
      http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1 … 4577810367

1. Solaras profile image94
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I find it interesting that they were able to trademark an idiom commonly used in our language.  It most likely would not hold up in court due to genericity.

Making a Mark is used by a variety of organizations, including, more humorously, the World Intellectual Property Organization; it is the title of their publication on creating trademarks.

The name would have to be used millions of times for it to be genericized.  Did you know that 'aspirin' and 'heroin' used to be registered Trademarks?

Also, it is possible for one person to register a trademark on the World Intellectual Property Organization registry and another person to register the identical trademark in the United States Patent and Trademark Office, with this caveat: one owner cannot use the trademark in the geographical area where it is not registered by them.

It is used millions of times, given that it is an idiom commonly used in print. If I Google "Making a Mark" over 8 million sites have matches for it.  They have forfeited their right to sue, given that she has not received a cease and desist in the course of 8 years.

However, if someone popped up collecting for a charity under the name of Making A Mark, they would probably get busy on those folks.

I knew about aspirin, but not heroin.

2. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Thank you Soloras for the point you made.

However can I ask that people stop this discussion about my username NOW.

I regard it as harassment of me as an author in this site. See Terms of Service.

Sorry - point taken.  BTW your art blog is very impressive.

1. makingamark profile image70
          makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! smile

3. CleftyToo profile image63
      CleftyTooposted 9 years ago

I have had many hubs transferred over. What happened to the 4 month grace period for all hubs.  Many of mine are unpublished and won't be published until fixed. This is NOT what I thought was supposed to occur...Thoughts?

1. Linda BookLady profile image80
        Linda BookLadyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If there's an error in how they were transferred, you can request help in the Squidoo Community Forum here on HubPages. Here's the link:

http://hubpages.com/forum/category/7444

I hope this helps...

2. KathyMcGraw2 profile image68
        KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not knowing what your subject matter is the only thing I can think of is those unpublished lenses are in the group of unallowed subjects they said would be unpublished?  If not...then I would write a comment in the forum under the problems with transfers section.

Sorry...but that's all I've got, as I don't know any more than what I've read.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's much more likely to be a glitch. There's bound to be some teething troubles with the first few accounts.

1. KathyMcGraw2 profile image68
            KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

There was a note in another forum that yes, there was a bug and this happened to several people.  They supposidly fixed the bug and reimported the lens.

4. CleftyToo profile image63
      CleftyTooposted 9 years ago

Yep it was a glitch. All fixed.  Thanks!

5. WoWFace profile image76
      WoWFaceposted 9 years ago

How accurate is your "check for violations" function?  I mean, if I run that today and it shows no violations found...what are the chances of that hub getting taken down anyway tomorrow or next week? One huge complaint/issue I had with Squidoo was that content would be approved 100% by their filters and show me no issues, warnings or red flags... then a few days later the very same article was taken down for violations that their algorithms supposedly should have addressed while I was editing/publishing the content (such as "low content quality" or "over promotional").  This is what prevented me from taking Squidoo seriously or writing much of any content there. Why waste my time if the supposedly valid content will just be taken down randomly.

1. justholidays profile image66
        justholidaysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

WowFace, HubPages filters do work and are not random. Unless an humain points violations on your content after the filter didn't find any kind of "no-no", but here again you can always ask for help to the team. They're efficient and humans you know smile

By the way, the filterS on the other site didn't work properly, there must have been too many different filters that would interfere on each others' job. Their "low content quality" prompt was already a mistake smile

2. Writer Fox profile image32

Fixing the problems with warnings is part of the process, but then your Hub has to pass the QAP process.  After it is published, if your Hub fails to generate traffic from search engines, it will become unfeatured eventually.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The filters work BUT they can only do so much.   HubPages also relies on human moderators and vigilant Hubbers.

Hubbers are encouraged to report a Hub if they feel it's breaking the TOS in some way.  That doesn't affect the Hub, it simply puts it in a queue to be looked at by a moderator.  If the moderator decides there's no problem, nothing happens.  If they decide there is a problem, the Hub will be unpublished.

So yes, it is possible for a Hub to be approved and appear to be OK, sometimes for months or even years, and then suddenly be unpublished because a real human noticed a problem.

The key is to make sure you understand HubPages' rules before you write - and if you're uncertain whether something is against the TOS, ask on the forums or send an email to the team.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)