Post-a-fact

Jump to Last Post 351-387 of 387 discussions (822 posts)
  1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Due to the curse of small mobile keyboards and big sausage fingers, I mistype my username as "Fart freddyscat" when I login to this site at least once per day, without fail.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yet I don’t get even a whiff of conceit, lol big_smile

FatFreddysCatposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Better a whiff of conceit than a whiff of... well, you know. big_smile

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94

49 years ago today, I was unleashed upon this earth, thereby increasing the planet's awesomeness quotient with my mere presence (you're welcome).

20 years ago, also on this date, my sweet, gorgeous, and totally awesome wife suddenly abandoned all rational reason and married me. She hasn't changed the locks yet so I guess that means she's gonna keep me (for now, anyway).

3. Rupert Taylor profile image94
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

Best wishes Keith. I would send you a celebratory rutabaga festooned with 49 candles but with the state of Canada/U.S. relations being what they are my gift would likely get stopped at the border.

I appreciate the thought, sir. Rutabaga 4 life, yo.

4. profile image59
    Alex Philiposeposted 4 years ago

Muslims and Jews do not eat pork

1. DrMark1961 profile image98
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

That is kind of like saying Christians do not drink alcohol.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Actually, that is not true. Even those who say they are devout Christians do in fact drink alcohol. I do not know about the Jews, but you cannot call yourself a devout Muslim if you eat pork. Christians are not supposed to eat shrimp and stuff though, but shrimp is my favourite big_smile

Which is why I said "this is like saying Christians do not drink alcohol", Some Christians do not drink alcohol. Some Jews do not eat pork. Yes, you can be a devout Muslim and eat pork. According to the hadith, if you are hungry and pork is the only food available, you may eat. That does not keep you from being a Muslim, and there is no human who has to forgive your transgression before your next prayer.
          I thought Christians could eat anything. Wasnt that the whole point of Jesus saying to his disciples to go forward and eat what is put in front of you?) Isnt it only orthodox Jews that do not eat seafood?

I do not know of Jesus saying that. Christians are supposed to follow the bible and they cherry-pick stuff from the old testament when they want to. So according to the old testament you aren't supposed to eat scavengers of the deep. Also, pork when nothing else is available for the Muslims, that's true. But, that's almost never the case.

I remember that they use that statement as a justification for eating pork, but certainly cannot tell you what book/chapter etc. I do not even have one of those books in my house.

I actually Googled this. http://biblelight.net/unclean-foods-jesus.htm gives a bunch of chapters where Jesus said that nothing is unlean and foul. Or not. I think it is all about what you choose to believe.

I see. But it says so there that it's a wrong translation. At the end of the day it is what the people choose to believe. Fact: That's what religion is xD

You are right about that. There are others out there that tell us that the translation is the literal word of God.

5. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 4 years ago

Good one.

Muslims and Jews eat chocolate chip cookies though. How cool is that?

6. Rupert Taylor profile image94
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

A rabbi and a priest were talking. "Tell me rabbi have you broken your vows and eaten pork? Yes I have said the rabbi and what about your vow of celibacy, have you ever broken that?" The priest replied "Yes I have. It's a lot better than pork isn't it?"

7. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 4 years ago

fact--in the 60's and I think into the 70's it was a sin, according to the catholics to eat meat on Fridays.  Then they changed that to it was not a sin to eat meat on fridays.  So what happens to all those sins and sinners who did or didn't eat meat on Fridays.  I am so confused.

8. FatFreddysCat profile image94

The first rock band to have their own web site on the internet was Megadeth. Created to promote the release of their then-current album "Youthanasia," it was launched in October 1994.

1. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You'd think, with internet connectivity, they'd have access to a dictionary. Lol

9. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/12 … ost2669427

I know that we don't all need apostles....

edit: that might be best read as "apostrophes".

1. profile image0

Placed at your feet that would be a mere comma-nt.

2. Sed-me profile image79

Laziness is not the same as using pretend words. Lol. Besides I hold everything I said in the past in complete contempt so just do what I do and pretend it's not there.

1. profile image0

Sed-me, I loved your note about silk on the corn cob.
        If you spun all that silk together you would have a piece of string attached to a corny joke.

I don't remember that post so I don't know if my comment was corny then or yours is now. wink

1. profile image0

lol

10. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 4 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Train_de_Nulle_Part
    Regarding my very first post on the Post a Fact thread about a book with no verbs.

I wondered how hard it would be to write a conversation without verbs.

Bill: Hello!
    Ann: Welcome!
    Bill: Home for good?
    Ann: Indeed, and you?
    Bill: For sure!
    Ann: Lovely!

It's fun!

11. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 4 years ago

Two facts for one: Flag Day is June 14 and so is President Trump's birthday.

12. FatFreddysCat profile image94

According to Eric Idle's autobiography, the Japanese title of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" translates to "The Gay Dragon Boys Show."

And they thought Monty Python's Flying Circus was the least reputable name possible. A reminder to never give up.

13. FatFreddysCat profile image94

"Comet" from "Full House" and Disney's "Air Bud" were played by the same dog.

14. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years ago

Ms. Joy Harjo will be introduced during Autumn 2019 by the Library of Congress  as USA's first Native American (Muskogee Nation) Poet Laureate, according to NPR on 6/19/19.

Harjo began writing in 1973 and is also a sax player.

Rush bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee's real first name is "Gary."
      "Geddy" came from his Polish mother's heavily-accented pronunciation of "Gary," which became his nickname at school and then his stage name.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Socrates asked too many questions.

3. ddsurfsca profile image70
      ddsurfscaposted 4 years ago

proclaiming something that you would like to happen, in front of a witness, makes it happen.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94

In 1961, Jimi Hendrix had been arrested twice for stealing cars. He was given a choice of joining the Army, or going to jail. He chose the Army, but was discharged in 1962, as his superiors deemed him "unqualified" for military service.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image94

The Cars' "You Might Think" won the very first "Video of the Year" trophy at the first MTV Video Music Awards ceremony in 1984, beating out Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and the Police's "Every Breath You Take."

(R.I.P. Ric Ocasek of The Cars, who passed away in New York yesterday.)

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What a shame. Loved The Cars back in the day.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image94

Very early in its development phase, the Martin Lawrence/Will Smith action comedy "Bad Boys" was envisioned as a vehicle for Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz of "Saturday Night Live."

Later on, Arsenio Hall was offered the role in "Bad Boys" that eventually went to Will Smith. Hall says today that turning down the film was the biggest mistake of his career.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image94

The six members of the Monty Python troupe played a total of forty different characters in the film "Monty Python's Life of Brian."

(R.I.P. Terry Jones. May your after dinner mints always be "waffer-thin," sir,)

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

It is a fact that most facts are false.

"The following statement is true: the preceding statement was false." -- George Carlin

9. FatFreddysCat profile image94

The classic rock band Foreigner got its name because three of the original members were British, and the other three were Americans. Therefore no matter where they traveled, someone would be considered a "foreigner."

10. FatFreddysCat profile image94

Film critic Gene Siskel's favorite movie was Saturday Night Fever. He bought the famous white suit that John Travolta wore in the film at a charity auction in the 1980s.

1. Solaras profile image96
        Solarasposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I did not know that; what did he pay for said white suit?

According to his official website, he paid $2,000 for it. Years later he sold it via Christie's auction house for $145,000!

11. profile image62
      sockratusposted 4 years ago

Mantis shrimp can see light with any polarization and focus on three distances simultaneously.

12. profile image55
      Adeciduateposted 4 years ago

Over 37,000 people die in road accidents each year in the US.

13. MelangeSpace1 profile image44
      MelangeSpace1posted 4 years ago

The very first bread made was done without yeast and still rose

Sure, and I bet that first cook, 10,000 years ago, thought "Wow this is amazing. I need to write this down."
        Do you really believe that or did you just make it up?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yep, happened around zero B.C. Not the only case, presumably happened with humans as well.

2. MelangeSpace1 profile image44
          MelangeSpace1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's an actual fact Doc, basic but true ....

No, it is not a fact, nor is it true.

Sed-meposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, it is completely possible as a yeast-like reaction can be made by using lemon juice (or any edible acid) and baking soda and of course there’s unleavened bread, but the possibility is not the fact you’re arguing I take it. (Can I get some kind of award for the longest run-on sentence?)

DrMark1961posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am just ignoring that post. The OP was not around to see the first bread baked 10,000 plus years ago, but then again neither was I, so no one can say that this or that modification was made so that the "first" bread would be leavened. I have noticed several times over the years that when someone wants to start an "amazing new fact" that they post it on the internet, some kid from Asia copies it, then someone else notices it, then it is copied again, and before you know it all the social media crowd accept it as fact.
                (Oh sorry Beth I cannot award you an award for the longest run-on sentence because just the other day I read an entire hub that was just one sentence I think it was a newbie writing something that may have been kind of like a blog post and we all know that blog posts do not really have great grammar and maybe kind of like somewhat long sentences especially when they are from someone who writes on the internet and posts on social media but has never picked up a book where they use things like punctuation and you know some of those things really do drive me crazy but at least HP notices them and they tend to fail but then you know they come on the forums and ask for help because they did not pass and when you try to point out that they use weird words and poor punctuation they get mad and write a nasty answer or you spend a long time fixing their hub and they just say okay or something like that and you think to yourself you should have just gone to the kitchen and made some chocolate chip cookies.)

14. FatFreddysCat profile image94

Alice Cooper submitted a theme song for the James Bond film "The Man With the Golden Gun" in 1973, but by the time the track was completed the film's producers had already decided to go with the song performed by pop star Lulu.

15. Doneta Wrate profile image80
      Doneta Wrateposted 3 years ago

According to president trumans memoirs, several US presidents before 1900 left the presidency in abject poverty.  they were not paid anything to be president. pres jefferson and president monroe were quite wealthy when elected into office, but poured their wealth into the duties of the office.  Monroe was dependent on his daughter and her family when he left office.  Jefferson had a wonderful lifetime collection of books that he sold to the congress and became the beginning of the library of congress.  he had to do that to have something to live on.  Abraham lincolns wife had to beg and cry our government for a while before receiving a pittance to live on.  It is really a disgrace to our country.  I know we did not have much as a country at the beginning, but it seems we could have made some kind of provision for those who gave so much.

16. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 3 years ago

You. Win.

DrMark1961posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.Hope.all.is.well.there.in.TN.

2. Solaras profile image96
        Solarasposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Lovely to see you again!  My avatar grew up, while you were away.

17. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

The food industry is jacking up food prices. They're blaming coronavirus, but I think it is a scam. Those prices are never going back down.

1. Solaras profile image96
        Solarasposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Bastards - food prices went up when gas prices went up, and never came back down with gas prices.  We just get the occasional BOGO, to keep us from rioting.

18. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

The AC/DC album title "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" was inspired by the 1960's cartoon show "Beany & Cecil." The show's villain, Dishonest John, would pass out business cards with that phrase on them.

19. ddsurfsca profile image70
      ddsurfscaposted 2 years ago

Cats can get pregnant at three and a half months old.

20. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

Aerosmith's and Bruce Springsteen's debut albums were released on the same day in 1973 by Columbia Records.

The pattern repeated itself the following year, when Columbia released both artists' second albums on the same day in 1974.

21. boxelderred profile image89
      boxelderredposted 2 years ago

In the TV show Leave it to Beaver, the character Lumpy was played by Frank Bank.  Frank died in 2013, but the Leave it to Beaver reruns live on.

22. FatFreddysCat profile image94

Aerosmith's nickname for their fans during their '70s hey day was the "Blue Army."

The name came from being on tour and seeing their audiences, which were predominantly male at the time, dressed in the standard rock 'n roll uniform of blue jeans and denim jackets, night after night.

23. FatFreddysCat profile image94

The Japanese title of the MTV show "Jersey Shore" translates to "Macaroni Rascals of New Jersey Life."

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68
        Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Interesting facts can later become disinteresting. This thread is, fullstop or period(.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)