Post-a-fact

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 387 discussions (822 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

Casu marzu is a Sardinian cheese that contains live maggots. The maggots can jump up to five inches out of cheese while you’re eating it, so it’s a good idea to shield it with your hand to stop them jumping into your eyes.

1. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nooooooo!

2. Lionrhod profile image80
      Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

*Puts this on a list of things to never ever eat.*

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! NO thank you!!!

2. profile image0

A family of people with blue skin lived in Kentucky for many generations. The Fulgates of Troublesome Creek are thought to have gained their blue skin through combination of inbreeding and a rare genetic condition known as methemoglobinemia.

I am loving these.

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

Speaking of bathrooms......the first American film to feature toilet flushing was Psycho. It is odd how we all remember the shower scene instead.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Nintendo's beloved "Mario" character came about due to Nintendo being unable to make a deal with King Features Syndicate to use their Popeye characters. The game that eventually became "Donkey Kong" (Mario's debut) was originally envisioned as a Popeye game, with Popeye climbing ladders and jumping over obstacles to rescue Olive Oyl from Bluto.
    When negotiations with King Features fell through, Nintendo simply changed Bluto into a gorilla,Popeye into Mario, and Olive Oyl into a generic damsel in distress.

When "Donkey Kong" became a smash hit, of course, King Features saw the error of their ways and allowed Nintendo to use Popeye and his friends in an arcade game... that ended up looking very similar to "D.K."

5. profile image0

In 2008 scientists discovered a new species of bacteria that lives in hairspray.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yuck! Did they figure out how to get rid of it?

1. CuAllaidh profile image80
        CuAllaidhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not all bacteria is harmful, as of yet they haven't figured out if the one that lives in hairspray is harmful at all (at least as far as I know).

1. profile image0
          Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Source:
          Society for General Microbiology
          "Scientists now need to determine the clinical importance of the new species, as similar bacteria have been found to infect humans. "Further testing will establish whether the species is a threat to human health," says Dr Bakir. "We hope our study will benefit the formulation of hairspray to prevent contamination in the future."

Society for General Microbiology. "New Species Of Bacteria Contaminates Hairspray." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 9 March 2008.

2. profile image0

Not yet. They say it is new, and it is like a few others that affect humans.
        We never know what we are using, we tend to think everything sold is safe

3. Sed-me profile image79

This guy comes into my work today to return some Ambesol... He thanks me for making it so easy... he says, "I was really nervous about returning my herpes medicine."
        Say what? I didn't have to know that dude. Move it along so I can hit up that hand sanitizer.
        Why would he tell me that?

6. CuAllaidh profile image80
    CuAllaidhposted 9 years ago

In 1665 the village of Eyam in Britain had an outbreak of the black plague. Thanks to a quick thinking minister who advised self quarantine for infected people, and a deal with the next closest town for supplies in exchange for coins left in a bowl of vinegar (to sterilize the coins) the rest of Britain did not get affected by the outbreak. A surprisingly large percentage of Eyam citizens survived (although it was still devistating), and not just because of the precautions, for some reason the townsfolk of Eyam had a higher than normal percentage of people who were immune to the plague.

7. CuAllaidh profile image80

Oh and a corollary fact to the one I posted just now about Eyam... the Gene that is responsible for the immunity to the Black Death turns out  that it may be the key to immunity to HIV and AIDS as well.

8. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

I heard that the fastest person to solve Rubik's Cube does it in 5 seconds.

9. GeorgeneMBramlage profile image81
    GeorgeneMBramlageposted 9 years ago

Tomatoes, a new world fruit, were at first thought to be poisonous.  So very glad someone figured out that they were not, otherwise we'd have no spaghetti sauce or pizza!

big_smile the nightshade family of plants can be either oh so tasty or oh so deadly.... all the nightshades natural to Europe are poisonous big_smile

10. profile image0

The top of the Eiffel Tower leans away from the sun, as the metal facing the sun heats up and expands. It can move as much as 7 inches.

11. profile image0

The longest time between two twins being born is 87 days.

That poor mom.

1. profile image0

You can say that again. OUCH

12. FatFreddysCat profile image93

The 90s rock band "Ugly Kid Joe" got their name because they were picked to open a show for a band called "Pretty Boy Floyd."

They had been using the name "S.W.A.T." (which stood for "Suburban White Alcoholic Trash"), but the band members thought it would be funny to see "Pretty Boy Floyd" and "Ugly Kid Joe" listed on the marquee together. The concert ended up being cancelled, but the name stuck.

13. profile image0

In 2007, an American man named Corey Taylor tried to fake his own death in order to get out of his cell phone contract without paying a fee. It didn’t work.

14. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 9 years ago

Chili was first created in San Antonio Texas in 1840.

15. profile image0

The northern leopard frog swallows its prey using its eyes — it uses them to help push food down its throat by retracting them into its head.

Oh my gosh! That's repulsive! I love it! I don't know where you get them, but you have the best facts.

2. vocalcoach profile image93
      vocalcoachposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OMG!  Glad I don't eat this way.  smile

16. profile image0

A U.S. park ranger named Roy C. Sullivan held the record for being struck by lightning the most times, having been struck — and surviving — seven times between 1942 and 1977. He died of a self-inflicted gunshot in 1983.
    I don't know his situation, but I wonder if his depression was a result of being struck by lightening, if depression is why he shot himself?

17. Buildreps profile image85
    Buildrepsposted 9 years ago

Bin Laden has been killed smile

1. Lionrhod profile image80

Speaking of revisionist history...

18. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson's birth name is "Aleksandar Zivojinovic."

19. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

Plagiarism on forums is not literary borrowing, it is stealing.

What is Plagiarism? http://www.plagiarism.org/plagiarism-10 … plagiarism

1. profile image0

I'm not claiming it to be my exclusive knowledge, we aren't born knowing  this stuff, so please play or go away if you're not playing

2. profile image0

Yet you got this from
      http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/42- … e-down-the

See your post here
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/126482? … ost2670231

You said Quote "
      Speaking of bathrooms......the first American film to feature toilet flushing was Psycho. It is odd how we all remember the shower scene instead." End Quote
      It's hard to tell exactly where you got this one, because it is in your exact words on many sites (minus the BTW)
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/126482? … ost2670033
      You said Quote " After Fredric Baur died, his ashes were buried in a Pringles can.
      BTW, he invented those cans we love to recycle & re-purpose." End Quote

I found some more of yours that you got from the internet. I wouldn't have posted this, but you started with me first

20. Lionrhod profile image80
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

Houseflies hum in the key of F.

1. profile image0

Wow Really?

21. profile image0

The tiny parasite Toxoplasma gondii can only breed sexually when in the guts of a cat. To this end, when it infects rats, it changes their behaviour to make them less scared of cats.

22. profile image0

Animals that lay eggs don't have belly buttons.

23. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

Yet another reason to dislike cats.  smile

24. profile image0

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

25. Lionrhod profile image80
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

Boy puppies often lose on purpose to girl puppies in their play games.

1. profile image0

Ahhh How sweet

26. profile image0

Australia is the only continent without an active volcano.

27. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image67
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 9 years ago

Here is some presidential trivia: Washington,Jefferson, Lincoln, Jackson, Grant, McKinley, Cleveland, Madison and Wilson are on U.S. bills.

28. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image67
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 9 years ago

Here is some presidential trivia: Washington,Jefferson, Lincoln, Jackson, Grant, McKinley, Cleveland, Madison and Wilson are on U.S. bills.

29. TheGutterMonkey profile image92
    TheGutterMonkeyposted 9 years ago

Here's a fun evolutionary fact I like to throw out to people at times. You know our goose bumps that pop up when we're cold or scared or angry? Those are useless leftovers (vestigial reflexes) from our much hairier ancestors.

Not too much different from cats and other animals who get all 'poofy' when in the cold or fighting, these goose bumps raise hair on our skin when we're cold, to trap air, causing a layer of insulation, to keep us warm, and raise hair during emotional stress (when we're scared, angry, etc.) to make us look larger and more intimidating to ward off predators.

None of this is very helpful to us anymore, of course, but that doesn't make it any less fascinating.

30. profile image0

"Children grow faster during springtime."

Fascinating. I wonder why.

1. profile image0

It's probably due to the fact that most children play indoors in the Winter, so when spring comes they play extra hard outdoors. This results in growth hormones being released more abundantly, therefore growth in the children

Some sites say summer, others say spring, others say both. They also point out that those seasons are best for height growth while in fall, kids tend to put on weight.

I'm going to guess that it's a combination of exercise, more nutritious food, especially green veg, and vitamin D producing calcium.

As for autumn weight gain, that's obviously a throwback to when humans needed to put on a layer of fat to get through the winter.

31. profile image0

This is a fun thread, and I'm learning even more than I wanted to smile

32. chasmac profile image89
    chasmacposted 9 years ago

Back in Victorian England (or maybe earlier), the best surgeons weren't the ones with the greatest medical knowledge; they were the ones who could saw a leg off fastest. One particularly fast surgeon was performing a leg amputation, but in his haste also cut off the finger of his assistant. A member of the public in the viewing gallery, on seeing this, had a heart attack and died, the patient died from the operation, and the assistant died a few weeks later from infection. It's the only surgical operation known to have a 300% death rate.

hahahaha... I mean.... that's terrible.

The doc. must have been really fast.

"Wait! My fing... oh man!"

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Except he didn't say "Oh man!"  it was more like. "You pea-brained lack-witted ninny-hammer!"

Those were big swear words back then.

33. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Not advisable to stand on head and eat or drink unless you want it to go into your lungs.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your head will go into your lungs? Sounds uncomfortable. I will stop doing this immediately. smile

LOL that made me actually laugh out loud... at work... luckily I am the only one in my office at the moment or it might have caused some strange looks.... again.

34. CuAllaidh profile image80

Some historians believed the children's game of hopscotch began as a Roman soldiers training drill. The soldiers would have to do long intricate hopscotch courts in full armour. It is believed that children started playing hopscotch as a way to imitate soldiers, so when kids play hopscotch they are really playing at being a soldier wink

35. Cardia profile image75
    Cardiaposted 9 years ago

The plastic/metal covering on the end of your shoe laces is called an aglet. It comes from an Old French word for 'needle'.

36. profile image0

IKEA stores are designed like mazes in order to trick customers into buying more things while finding the exit.

37. profile image0

If you google 'zerg rush', Google will eat up the search results.

Try It

38. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Deborah: That is hilarious.  I have never seen anything like that before.

39. profile image0

If you liked the last one, try this
    When you search for 'Tilt' on Google,  it will make the search results page tilt slightly to the right.

What crazy thing happens when you google, "Miley Cyrus?"

1. profile image0

We get about 22,000,000 results  smile

40. profile image0

At least 2 people have been murdered for unfriending someone on Facebook.

Thank goodness Hubpages doesn't tell us WHO unfriended us.

41. profile image0

If your body's natural defenses failed, the bacteria in your gut would consume you within 48 hours, literally eating you from the inside out.

That's incredible. I wish you were just like... always around telling me this stuff. It's fascinating.

1. profile image0

Okay I will try to always tell you stuff smile

42. Sychophantastic profile image86
    Sychophantasticposted 9 years ago

Carbon dioxide (and other “greenhouse gases”) trap heat and make Earth warmer than it would be otherwise.

43. profile image0

Ashton Kutcher contemplated committing suicide by jumping off a hospital roof so that his dying brother could have his heart through a heart transplant.

I can believe that. I doubt that it had occurred to him that the force of his body hitting the ground might explode his heart in his chest, or that he could be impaled by something. Breaking hearts seems to be his strong suit.

1. profile image0

I'd also say he thought about those things, plus if he would live in pain a while before he died

Yeah, if his heart wasn't viable, then his parents lose two sons.

44. profile image0

To clean paint off your hands, use olive oil - it softens the paint and makes it easy to remove.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To clean olive oil off your hands use a paint stripper which will thin it sufficiently to wipe off with a damp rag.

hahahaha

45. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Ever wonder why Marge Simpson's hair is so tall?

When the Simpsons first went on the air, none of the writers expected it to last beyond the initial six episodes. Therefore they had several "big reveals" put aside for a potential "last episode" which fortunately were never used. Marge's hair was so tall because living so close to the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant had caused her to mutate and grow a single long bunny ear out of the top of her head (ala the bunny character "Binky" in Matt Groening's other creation, Life in Hell)... therefore her big beehive hairdo was covering it up.

I don't like that. She's not an x-man and there is nothing wrong with her banana splits.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I learned that little tidbit from Mike Reiss, a writer/producer on The Simpsons, at a meet & greet he did prior to the release of the Simpsons Movie.

Another "reveal" would've been that Homer and Krusty the Klown were the same person and that Homer had been moonlighting as Krusty without telling the family for all those years.

...I remember that he let these revelations sink in and then said "Yeah, that would've sucked, right? Thank God we never had to use them." Hahahaha

Yes, I don't like those changes at all.
          Interesting though.

46. profile image0

Studies show that slow music makes people shop leisurely and spend more, while classical music encourages more expensive purchases.

47. profile image0

The sense of smell connects to the part of the brain that also controls memories and emotions. Therefore smells often evoke strong memories.
    I'm sure we have all experienced this

48. profile image58
    Kathleen Moralesposted 9 years ago

There is a lightbulb, in Britain, that has been burning since 1883. Thats 131 years and counting.

49. profile image58

Eskimos and Inuits source of vitamin c is blubber.

50. profile image58

Back to dogs - chihuahua were a semi-wild dog found in and around the state of Chihuahua, Mexico, and before they were bred to be tiny, they averaged at 25-30 pounds.  They were also mute.

Mute chihuahuas...ah, the good old days. smile

1. profile image58
        Kathleen Moralesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know! I have a friend that has 4 of the little yappers.... And when someone knocks on the door, there is such a racket...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)