"The Interview" movie has been delayed due to terrorist threats

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 9 years ago

Well, it's official.  The terrorists that hacked Sony have won.  Since Seth Rogen's newest comedy, "The Interview", was first announced,  North Korea was not  happy about it; particularly Kim Jong-Un.

If your curious to know what the film was about, "The Interview", is essentially an adult comedy starring Seth Rogen and James Franco.  James and Seth work on some tabloid TV show, and they're invited to North Korea to interview Kim Jong-Un because he's a fan of the show.  Needless to say, the CIA get wind of this, so they recruit the two idiots to kill Kim Jong-Un.    Needless to say, Kim was beyond pissed upon finding out about this film.

He said he found the story's plot synopsis to be in bad taste, and he's even stated to the UN that he would consider the film's release a declaration of war by the United States.  As far as I know, President Barrack O'Bama has yet to reply to Kim's statements.  However, earlier this year Sony was hacked, by an unknown source.

Authorities still have yet to trace the hackers, but many suspect it might be the work of North Korea, in light of Kim's earlier statements.  Anyways, through the various e-mails that were leaked from Sony, we not only found out all the financial dealings sony's movie division has done over the years, but we also saw a lot of private e-mails that uncovered a lot of drama behind the scenes that Sony didn't want to get out there.

However, it appears to be getting worse.  Earlier this month, the hackers threatened Sony again by saying that if "The Interview" is released in theaters on Christmas day (as it's scheduled to), then they will commit a  9/11 style bombing on some of those select theaters. 

And, the terrorists even said that any innocent blood that's spilled during these attacks will be on Sony's hands, as it'll be as they quote "their fault" that they chose to release a poorly written film that was made in bad taste.

As far as  I know, Sony has yet to reply to this recent threat, but many movie theaters showing the film have responded to it already according to deadline.com

In light of this threat, many major theater chains are fearful for the lives of their customers during the holiday season, as many of them have chosen to either delay the film's initial release from their theater; while others have elected not to show the movie at all.  Here's the article if you want to read it:

https://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-theat … 201327612/

Assuming you read the link, what are your thoughts on this?  Do you think the movie theaters did the right thing?  Or do you think it sets a bad precedent that we're allowing the terrorists to control our society in such a way?  Please discuss.

2. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 9 years ago

Looks like Young Turks on youtube did a story on this as well if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofa6VscViNQ

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Now Sony has bent over to the terrorist "hackers" and cancelled the release of "The Interview" indefinitely. Way to show some balls there, Sony.

(shrugs) I was going to wait for the DVD release anyway...

Seriously tho, this sets a terrible precedent. Now I guess every random nut job who doesn't like a movie for whatever reason just has to call or e-mail the studio and say "If this movie opens I'm gonna kill every mother#$%%'er who comes to see it!" ... and the studio will cancel it. Sigh.

The funny thing is, I've read that Kim Jong Un is actually a very big fan of American movies ... maybe he's just pissed that nobody from "The Interview" contacted him about playing himself.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 9 years agoin reply to this

From the various articles that I've read on the situation, Kim was actually just pissed off because of the plot of the movie in general revolving around the CIA recruiting two idiots to take him out.  He even said if the movie was released period that he would've considered it a declaration of war by the United States.

I doubt seriously he's this upset for not getting a part in the film.

As for Sony, they really didn't have much of a choice because right after the threat was announced online, Sony gave all the theaters a choice about what to do with the movie; whether it be delaying it indefinitely or outright refuse to carry it.  Sadly, a lot of major movie theaters took them up on that option, as you can read in the deadline article i provided in the original post. 

A lot of major movie chains like AMC, Regal Entertainment, Cinemark and etc didn't want to put their employees and customers in danger.  Is it cowardly of them to do that?  Yes, but you can't blame them because they're only looking at this from a business perspective.  From a business perspective, it would've been a pr nightmare for the brave movie chain that did carry the film.  And, it might have led to a huge financial loss in the future if the terrorists did act on that threat.

Don't get me wrong, I do see what you're saying, and I agree with you that it does set a bad precedent going into the future.  I mean what's to stop a terrorist group now from taking away our other civil rights down the road?  It doesn't have to be limited to just films, as another terrorist group that watched this situation closely could easily get the idea of  threatening us with something like "If you don't worship the same god as we do, then we'll do this and this."  Or they can easily say something like, "We don't like gay marriages.  Make it illegal or we'll kill you."  Or something along those lines. 

But on the other hand here, this is Sony's fault.  They brought this upon themselves, and it's because of their arrogance and ignorance they put the U.S.A. in a compromising no win scenario.  Think about it.  The United States is already struggling financially enough as it is.  Hell, on black friday, most of the stores in my city were dead.  I don't understand it myself because black friday is usually one of the busiest times of the year for most stores, yet most of them were dead earlier this year?

Don't bring up the weather either because statistically people shop more the worse the weather is. The reason I bring that up is because that's not a good sign for the U.S. economy right now.  Therefore, can America even afford to go to war at this point?   

Plus, our military is already stretched thin as it is because we have troops fighting in both Iraq and Afghanistan.  Not to mention we have troops in Africa fighting Ebola, according to some news sources.  Therefore, my only question is let's say hypothetically all the major theater chains and Sony did call Kim's bluff. 

And let's also pretend, the terrorists acted on their threat.  Would America have the resources and manpower to fight another war in addition to the ones we have right now?  Plus, with the way the media ALWAYS gets in the way of the military doing their job by nitpicking and scrutinizing every single thing they do, I'm not even sure we could beat North Korea in a war to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, we have the technology to beat them, and we probably have some of the best well trained soldiers in the world, but none of that means anything if you have one side trying to play by the rules because the media won't leave them alone, while the other side isn't bound by any rules.  It would be like you trying to fight a guy while wearing boxing gloves, and you were told that you could only hit him above the belt.  Meanwhile, the other guy gets to fight you with his bare hands and feet.  Plus he's allowed to hit you anywhere he wants, but you can't.  How would that be fair to you in a fight?

In an ideal world, I think it would be great if we could just stand up to these bullies and show them what for, but there is something to be said about picking your battles.  As a wise man once said, "Fighting should always be used as a last resort." 

However, I can't disagree with anything you just said because this does sadden me a great deal as well.  We once fought during the revolution to be free of any foreign tyranny, yet here we are the in 21st century still allowing a foreign power dictate to us what our rights are.  I'm sure if our founding fathers could see this, then they would shake their heads in disgust.  I am too.  It saddens me that North Korea could control us this way, but at the same time, I don't blame the movie theaters for refusing to carry the movie.   Nor do I blame Sony for eventually pulling out.  Because this was a no win scenario here. 

If we would've called Kim's bluff, then it might've escalated into a full scale war.  But on the other hand,  your right.  This move does set a bad precedent moving forward for all the reasons you just stated.  I can only hope now that this will be an isolated incident, and it won't lead to any other kind of censorship down the road.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)