Why do movie theaters get away with showing me ads before the movie I already bo

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

Why do movie theaters get away with showing me ads before the movie I already bought a ticket?

Same for On Demand making me watch ads on their TV shows when I've already paid for the service?

The US government pays for entertainment to show service members overseas.  By contract they must not show the commercials because they've already paid for the broadcasting.  How is this different?

2. Jim and Beyond profile image78
    Jim and Beyondposted 2 years ago

They probably "get away with it" because nobody has ever questioned the legality of the practice, in the manner you suggest.  But I wouldn't be too hard on the movie theaters.  I worked at a multiplex in my youth, became friends with the higher-ups and learned a bit about how they work.  When you pay $10 for a movie ticket, especially to see a first run movie, the theater operator receives a very small percentage of the ticket cost.  Most of it goes to the distributor, producers and to Robert Downey Jr.  The costs of running the theater, like any business, include payroll, utilities, rent/mortgage, taxes, etc., and the pittance they keep from your ticket price hardly covers those costs.  That is why the concessions are so expensive, and perhaps why it is necessary to sell some advertising, to generate another income stream.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
      Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know any of that.  Thanks for the info.  It kind of changes things, but I still wonder about the legality of it.

working