Selecting a niche to write about

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Silver Rose profile image64
    Silver Roseposted 14 years ago

Just popped in to say I came across a first-rate blog post about this, that pretty much walks you through the whole process of picking keywords, and I thought I'd post it in this forum as the biggest difficulty with these challenges is finding stuff to write about.

Here's the link

http://leodimilo.com/internetmarketingb … marketing/

It's a pretty long post, but I would bookmark it, as there isn't anything else out there comparable for clarity on how to select niches.

I do understand that hubchallenge folk may be a bit busy churning out hubs to take the time to do keyword research in this manner, but it's worth at least considering some of the ideas that dimilo mentions.

2. hd1912 profile image61
    hd1912posted 14 years ago

Nice article.  I pretty much use everything listed with the exception of insights.

3. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

Leo's entire blog is well worth bookmarking. If hubchallenge folks are too busy to do keyword research their priorities are wrong

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree. cool

4. getpaidtopost profile image39
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

Keyword research is the first step always. I found a good keyword a few days ago which was foot worship and foot licking these keywords have no competition yet they receive over 1 million searches each month.

Just watch out for Google adsence banned keywords when out hunting. wink

5. CalPhillips profile image61
    CalPhillipsposted 14 years ago

Good find Silver Rose! Once finding a niche, buy the domain, owning that particlar word/phrase!

6. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

niche keyword phrases to write about:

skin roller
    microneedling
    skin needling
    collagen induction therapy
    home skin rejuvenation

7. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I think keyword research is the second thing a person should do.

First pick a topic of something that you're interested in. And THEN do the research.

Otherwise a person is likely to pick a topic which seems to pay a lot, and that's their only motivation. They know nothing about the subject or have the ability to research the subject itself.

There's a lot of crap on the internet. But pages that have information from a person who has a passion about the 'niche' is going to making an effort to do that subject justice.

1. Trekkiemelissa profile image65
      Trekkiemelissaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I personally rather write about something that interests me even if the money is not there.  The way I look at things this way is it may not be popular now, but down the line, it could become very popular.  Even if something is popular is not a 100% guaranty that its going to pay off for you.  Writing quality hubs with information is the best thing to do.  Keyword can be done before or afterwards smile

2. Silver Rose profile image64
      Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Another point to consider about the topics that "seem" to pay a lot - because everyone and their dog is attempting them, they get saturated, and may not get indexed. Google looks for material from a variety of domains. If a single domain has too much material on a given topic, after a bit, they just start ignoring anything added by that domain for that topic. If you can't get ranked or even indexed for the niche, you won't make money.

Here's how to check if Hubpages is saturated for your niche:

Go to Google and type in

site:Hubpages.com "keyword"  (insert your keyword in the quotes)

If there are several thousand hubs already on that keyword, it's saturated.

People need to try to put stuff on hubpages that doesn't exist already. That way they have the niche to themselves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)