Why You Should Write About Your Passions

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (30 posts)
  1. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I wanted to take a moment to encourage you to write about things you're passionate about.  I'm sure you've heard "if you do what you love, the money will follow".  I think that is an incredibly powerful and truthful statement.  I want to share a personal experience with you.

I have been fortunate to personally meet a few country stars/celebrities and found them to be extremely personable and caring towards their fans.  I shared this information in a hub I wrote over a year ago.  This hub hasn't received 1000s of views, but it did receive one very important view earlier this week.

The wife of one of these stars ran across my hub and has shared it with her husband.  She graciously took the time to email me through HubPages to let know me know how much they appreciated my hub.  She also indicated that they would like to meet me.

She and I spent the entire day emailing back and forth a couple of days ago.  She read many of my hubs and likes my writing style.  I am now looking at writing for them for magazine submissions and she wants me to interview him for one of them.

I just checked to see how many words were actually devoted to talking about him in that hub and it was 175.  Folks, 175 words within the text of one of my hubs has changed my life.

Don't be afraid to write about the things you're passionate about.  You have no idea who may read it and a whole chain of events may spin off from there.

I am thrilled at this opportunity.

1. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
      Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing. I believe you are right!

smile

KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Kimberly!

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Wow! KCC that is fantastic!! Congratulations and I hope it all goes well and that this is indeed a new career for you smile

3. KCC Big Country profile image85

Thank you!  It's been an incredible sequence of events and I'm very excited.  I bought one of the publications that she mentioned she wants to start with so that I can get a feel for their targeted audience.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'm excited too! I think this is just great.Mind and keep us posted smile

5. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

Absolutely fantastic KCC - well done. And you're right - we should write about what we're passionate about.

6. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Wow, that's super Kcc!  Congrats - I hope everything goes well for you. smile

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Congratulations KCC Big Country!

You deserve it!!! I'm very happy for you! smile

8. KCC Big Country profile image85

Thank you Precious, Rafini and Cagsil! 

I was recently talking to a friend about my news and she went on to tell me dozens of great personal stories she has.  I told her she should write for HubPages.  She looked at me and said, "I have nothing I could write about".   I think too many of us forget about how much great story material we have within us.  Each of really should think about the percpective that we carry that we should commit to writing and share with others.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Problem with that KCC is that not everyone is able to put into words, as in writing, what they say. The connection needed is cut off and the relation is not clear to most. wink

It may not come as natural to some, but I think everyone has the ability to do it.  Some may lack the confidence, but that too, can be overcome.

I think most assume that what they have to say lacks value.  What they fail to realize is that what they have to say can ONLY be said by them.  No one else on Earth has the exact same perspective on things.  I actually have a hub about this topic too, because once I realized this, it made a huge difference in my confidence to write about the world from my perspective.

9. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 13 years ago

Your news is terrific and quite inspirational.  I hope things go well for you and that it proves to be something wonderful.  Nice job.

Thank you so much Mike.  I look forward to sharing more details as they begin to unfold because I'm not sure enough people take their writing serious enough to see the potential out there for them.  I'm not saying their writing has to be serious, I'm saying you just never know who may stumble upon your writing, even years later, and contact you.  It's another good reason to have the email contact function turned on so that someone can contact you.

1. Mike Lickteig profile image76
        Mike Lickteigposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely--let's take ourselves seriously enough to give ourselves a chance for something good to happen, as you most clearly did here.  That is a lot of what this is about--having our voices heard.  Yours was heard with great results.

Once again, congratulations.

10. KCC Big Country profile image85

Thank you again, Mike.  It really gives me goosebumps!

11. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

KCC - this is a biggie!  Great self esteem booster of the week!  I'm so proud of you!!!!!  Remember this - it was ALL YOU!!!

On the note of writing about my passions, if I were annonomous, I would - but early on I shared my hub name with the family & now I don't want to write anything sacred....yes I could use another account - but by readers are with this one! sad

Jane, thank you.  I had those little pangs of "oh crap, I don't think I'm polished enough to do this", but then I thought about.  SHE read my hubs, SHE contacted ME.  SHE likes my style.  She's not asking me to prove myself OR improve myself.  I just need to remain true to myself and do the very best I can.

Regarding your situation, I think you owe it to yourself to create that other account where you can be freer to express yourself on topics you'd rather others know about.

12. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

wow KCC, in light of your recent thread about your personal life direction, what wonderful news for you!! I agree also that it helps to write about what we're passionate about or have experienced. Even if writing a review of a product, it can be written with a personal spin, making it more authentic.
    the exciting thing about HP is we never know WHO may find our hubs! as the site continues to climb in ratings, more and more people will be finding our hubs at the top of searches.

you must be thrilled!! smile  keep us posted.

13. KCC Big Country profile image85

Thank you rebekahElle!  You're so right about the timing issue.  As I focus on the things most important to me and begin to enjoy life, new doors are opening and it is absolutely thrilling.  I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

14. travelespresso profile image70
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

KCC that's truly fantastic news.  Good on you for writing about your passions and through that experiencing so much joy and opportunity.  That's a marvelous opportunity for you.  Enjoy!

For me, I need an International Tourism Authority to read my work and decide they just HAVE to offer me a contract to write for them!

Thank you!  You bring up another interesting point.  It doesn't necessarily have to be Int'l Tourism Authority that finds you.  There could easily be some steps in between that ultimately lead you there.  smile  Keep writing your fantastic hubs and you'll be noticed.  smile

1. travelespresso profile image70
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Too true and thank you.

But, I'm so happy for you KCC - this thread is about celebrating your success. smile

No, I only used what has happened to me as an example of why it is so important to write about things you're passionate about.  It is intended to be a reminder to others that there are many many many people reading our hubs and all of these people know people who know people, etc.  You never know where things may lead.  I want everyone on HubPages to have success with their writing!

15. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 13 years ago

Congratulations, KCC! What a fantastic turn in your life.
    And thank you for sharing such wonderful advice.

Thank you so much.  I really see it as a turning point for me.  Let's all keep writing!

16. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Congratuations KCC....well deserved!

Thank you Irohner! I really appreciate it!

17. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

Of course you are right!  Writing without passion is writing not worth reading.  You are always so encouraging to other hubbers, just want you to know that I have always appreciated your opinion.  You deserve your success!

That is very kind of you to say, Kathryn! I do appreciate it.

I am really proud to be part of a community of such talented people.  There are so many people here who have the potential to accomplish fantastic things with their writing.  It seems a shame to sit back and not encourage fellow hubbers to strive to live up to their potential. I don't know if most fully appreciate the exposure we get from being affiliated with such a great site as HP.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)