setting up a referral tracker

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (34 posts)
  1. beth811 profile image77
    beth811posted 13 years ago

How to set up a referral tracker in which they would be shown the page to sign up. I tried many times setting up referral tracker and then signed out from my account, typed my username after clicking the hubbers button, clicked on the 'Sign Up Here' written on profile and another page appeared saying - 'Sorry, that user does not exist.'

1. climberjames profile image57
      climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi beth, it sounds like you are trying to use your username as your referral tracker?

To find or create a new referral tracker click on 'my account' then 'URL Trackers' from there you can create your tracker and enter it as demonstrated with the 'xyz' by Website Examiner below - let me know if you get stuck smile

beth811posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I used my tracking token only, climberjames without http://hubpages.com/user/new with it. lol

I already solved it before I saw your reply and many thanks to Website Examiner. Thanks for the reply too, climberjames. smile

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Here you are:

http://hubpages.com/_xyz/user/new

Simply replace "xyz" with your own referral tracker.

beth811posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you sooooo much, Website Examiner. It now works!  smile smile

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome, glad to hear it!

2. profile image0
      Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My link works now. Thank you for pointing that out W.E, and for your assistance in correcting it smile I agree with Shazwellyn, You are amazing! big_smile

3. climberjames profile image57
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

lol oki big_smile

4. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/tracking

Darkside wrote a great hub on it.

5. beth811 profile image77
    beth811posted 13 years ago

Thanks, Wrylit.

6. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 13 years ago

I've been using trackers to the /user/new page, but I think that's a bit daunting if I am trying to coax people in - and often want to just link to the home page at http://www.hubpages.com

I've seen one person use their tracker from this, to (say) http://www.hubpages.com/_theirtracker

But does that work?

Can you actually use a tracker url/link to the home page like that?  Or does it have to be a page?

Has anybody done any split testing on sending traffic to the /user/new -v- the homepage?

I just think that having signed up from the new, being taken straight into writing a hub is .. confusing and scarey.  People should sign up ... see a bit of a page/interface ... then have a big button to write one now.

But has the research been done on these stats?

7. profile image0

The tracker is supposed to set a cookie on the computer of those who click on it. As long as that cookie has not expired, the referral would presumably be credited.

1. earner profile image81
      earnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cheers.  So I take it I can link to the home page the same. Great.

8. profile image0

Someone asked me this question about how to set up a referral link to sign-ups:

http://hubpages.com/question/70197

The editor would not allow me to paste in the URL needed to illustrate that, and therefore I am posting the full instructions here instead. To answer the question, I will link to this post.

There are a few steps involved.

1. Go to "my account" while logged in, then click on "URL Trackers"

2. You will be needing the tracker ("tracking token")

3. Create the referral URL as follows:

http://hubpages.com/_xyz/user/new

Simply replace "xyz" with your own tracking token

Now copy that to your computer's clipboard

4. Go to the page where you want the tracker to appear, presumably "my profile." Click "edit profile"

5. Type in the text as you would like it to appear (for example: "To join HubPages, click here" then highlight the text that you want hyperlinked (for example: "click here"

6. Click on the linking icon, on the editor toolbar

7. In the box that appears, enter your referral URL by pasting from the clipboard, see step 3. Click save.

1. HELLA profile image60
      HELLAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks mate! So do I actually create a new tracker using steps one through 3, meaning I'll have two tracker IDs?

2. Rithya profile image59
      Rithyaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hm,,... I still don understand about this... Could you explain more?

1. profile image0

Those are the most detailed instructions you will ever find. What would you like to know? Which part don't you understand?

1. saleheensblog profile image61
          saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol I would be very angry if I was you. I think she is from asia and her English might be very poor like me. She may understand if I describe in poor English. lol

1. profile image0

OK. I forgot to add that my instructions require access to a computer with an Internet connection.

lol lol lol

2. Rithya profile image59

u can say what ever u want and like, but it is the real that my English is poor, moreover i just stay use this website only 2 or 3days that why i am look like a baby who don know  how to walk or say..... Oh! moreover, i am just a student who study banking and finance, but not a student who study about computer and programmer like all of you te. Specially, i am a girl that has a little experience about how to use website.....

Thanks for your reply and hope all of you can help me to develop my own website by all of your teaching me.... Or u can send or chat with me by yahoo or facebook. <snipped email>

Hope i can be your friend who u can teach....

hello Rithya, don't be upset. I am also poor in English like you. Don't worry my friend. And let me tell you I also don't have much knowledge on any kind of technology. You wont believe I touched a computer first time ever in my life just 1.5 or 2 years ago and I am here for only few months but I understand things much better now.Language will no longer be a big barrier for you if you don't loose heart and keep learning. Best of luck. If you have any problem understanding anything feel free to post. This community is really helpful.

1. Rithya profile image59

Really? but i think i don know how to play this website, but i am good to play facebook  and yahoo... U have it? if have, it is easy to chat or teach me.....

I think i am not a person who disturb u te na friend............

1. profile image0

How old are you, Rithya?

I think what you are guessing is true. <18

heheh........... yesterday is the day that i become 21years hey.........

So from today i am 21years old,...... jos u?

2. saleheensblog profile image61

People write here are mostly self taught and HP has is a great resource to learn things. I suggest you to vist the HP FAQ section and the learning center http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/ first. After that if you need more help the community will be happy to help you. And yes, I have faceboook. shifa saleheen shuvo

Why have four names and four photo of u? don understand te.........

3. profile image0

Welcome! You can use the default tracker or create a new one; up to you.

1. blbhhdcn profile image61
        blbhhdcnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot to you.

1. profile image0

You are most welcome, and good luck with that!

1. profile image0
            shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow... you never cease to amaze me!  How kewl are you?!

4. profile image0

Rithya, it is fine that you ask. Spend some time here, read the Learning Center and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Enjoy your stay, and welcome to HubPages!

1. adamgt07 profile image61
        adamgt07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the information. It was helpful

-Adam

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)