Referral Trackers; I don't get it!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Cantuhearmescream profile image75
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 11 years ago

I have read everything I can, mostly through HP, about referral trackers and how to set them up but I still am struggling with this. Is there a "Referral Tracker for Dummies". I have no previous knowledge of this and I would love a step by step instruction guide. A lot of the instructions are written like the reader has some previous understanding.
    Desperate for help.

2. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years ago

What exactly are you having problems with, is it adding your referral tracker when you share your hubs on social networks and elsewhere?

Cantuhearmescreamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'm simple, but everything. I am not sure how to even create the tracker. I have a default tracker provided on my account page, but I would like to place trackers on things like twitter and I don't know how to create a tracker and then how or where to paste it in to say, twitter.

1. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55
        Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I have a better idea on where to start now.

To create a tracker on HubPages you will need to pick a tracker name that is unique because you are able to use these trackers on any hubber's hub when you share them on social networks (this allows you to earn money from views you bring to hubs that you are not the author of).  Of course you'll want to be on the referral tracker page (for those who don' know where that is) by clicking my account > earnings > referral trackers (referral trackers is located on the left sidebar).  Your default referral tracker and any other trackers you create will display at the top of the page, and below your trackers list is a form to create your own referral tracker, which is where you will enter your unique tracker name.

To create your referral tracker you will enter an underscore line ( _ ) along with the tracker into the URL of the hub or HubPages page you are sharing right after a forward slash placed after the HubPages.com domain.  A demonstration would be best in order to translate that into plain English that is easy to understand, so I'll show you the URL to the HubPages sign up with and without a referral tracker.

Example URL without a tracker: https://hubpages.com/user/new/

Example URL with a referral tracker:  https://hubpages.com/_20fpmqk8oqipc/user/new/

When you place the tracker into a URL to a hub, you will notice that on URL's to hubs a forward slash and the word hub will follow the HubPages.com domain. Just add your "_", referral tracker, and a forward slash (without a space between the _ and tracker, example: _20fpmqk8oqipc/ ) right before the word hub and you are ready to share and gain referrals.

Hope this helps out you and anyone else who may come across your question about referral trackers, and have a blessed day.

Page1 SEO tactics,
          Awesome, thanks so much. It's going to take me a while to work through this but I want you to know I've been anxiously waiting. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again!

It's me again....sorry. :-)
            So the "default" tracker that is already on my account page would be unique to me and I would place it in any and all referral trackers I create?
            Second question. Once I create these new referral trackers I am confused where I actually paste/insert them? Do I add them at the end of the url/link at the top of the page? Sorry this is foreign to me.

Yes the default tracker HubPages gives you is unique to you, however you do not need to enter it into the referral trackers you create, just create a unique name for your new referral trackers (you'll know if it's unique because HubPages will tell you the tracker name has been taken if it is not unique) such as: CantuhearmescreamOnTwitter.

Once you create your unique referral tracker, you'll take the URL you want to add your tracker to (which can be found either on the top of your Internet browser in the address bar where you type website addresses, or if you right click any of your hub titles and select copy link location it will copy the URL so that you can paste it), and either in a word document or in the address bar on your browser add your tracker. 

Every hub and other HubPages content will always have the "hubpages.com" in the URL. Find where it says " hubpages.com/ ", place your cursor right after the forward slash " / "and enter the "_" and tracker name you created along with a forward slash.  Then copy the whole URL that you added the referral tracker to and paste it where you want to share the hub.

Page 1 SEO tactics,
                I went from totally baffled to actually having some kind of a grasp on this. I think I'm starting to figure it out. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain what must seem so simple to you to a confused newbie like me. Thanks!

Your welcome, I'm glad I was able to help you and hopefully other newbies out.  The good news is that referral trackers will pretty much be as far as you'll have to go into programming as a content writer.

PHEW, let's hope so!...       :-)
                    I appreciate learning more, it is all good to know, but a lot of information at once can be overwhelming. I have learned more in the last month than I have ever known.

2. the clean life profile image72
          the clean lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How do you set up your tracking number to post on social networks for the signup of new writers. I try and made my own tracker number but I think I did not do the link correct. It reads 404 does not exist

Page1 SEO tacticsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This quick snippet from my post above should help
            Example URL without a tracker: https://hubpages.com/user/new/

Example URL with a referral tracker:  https://hubpages.com/_20fpmqk8oqipc/user/new/

1. the clean life profile image72
              the clean lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you and it is running fine now. Thank you for your reply!

Page1 SEO tacticsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome glad you got your tracker up and running.

3. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years ago

Cool, and good luck.

4. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

Still doesn't make sense to me...

sigh.

Maybe this will help out...
      Below is what the URL for hubpages looks like without a referral tracker.

Example:  www.hubpages.com

Below is what a URL for hubpages looks like with a tracker.

Example:  www.hubpages.com/_YourReferralTrackerGoesHere

Where it says _YourReferralTrackerGoesHere is where you will enter either the default tracker that HubPages has provided you or a tracker that you have created on the referral tracker page.  Though it looks as if you just add your referral tracker to the end of the URL that is not the case when it comes to adding a referral tracker to a hub you're sharing. If you read my post just above where it mentions to find where it says hubpages.com in the URL, it explains that your tracker must be placed after the " / " that comes right after the hubpages.com in the URL.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

If you want to use your default tracker to acquaint yourself with how it works, you can go to the bottom of any page on HP and click, link to this page.  For example, if you want to link to a hub that you would like to use in one of your relevant hubs, you can click that 'link to this page' and a box comes up with your default tracker (and a scroll down box once you make unique trackers that you want to use).  You then copy and paste the URL (that you see in the URL box) wherever you want it.   

There are a few good hubs that explain the process.  I'll see if I can find an easy one for you.
    These are the hubs that taught me how to make referral trackers.  He has a series of hubs.

I may not get how to make my own unique referral tracker but I understand how to get one at the bottom of each hubpage now, but I'm not sure where you paste them? Could you give an example. For instance, are they pasted in the body of a profile on a social networking or blog site or are they posted as an individual tweet for example? Thanks

Making your own tracker is not really a necessity as mistyhorizon2003 mentioned, having several referral trackers is really only good for determining where your referrals and views are coming from.

You would paste it in a tweet or as a status update on your favorite social networks, or if you like to use social bookmarking sites you would use the URL with your referral tracker as the address you want to bookmark.  You can also post the URL tracker in the profile of any fan pages you have created on social networks you belong to.

Gotcha,
          I'm just trying to implement/become familiar with all the tools that I assumed a "regular hubber" uses. I hate feeling like I don't know how to do half of the things here that people do in seconds daily. Thanks for the info.

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Basically to follow on from 'Page 1 SEO Tactics' comment, if you wanted to get people to sign up to HP under your referral tracker you would probably find it easiest if you simply go to the standard 'sign up' page for HP, insert your default tracker code as previously described by  'Page 1 SEO Tactics', then anywhere you want to encourage people to join up under your referral tracker either post that entire link (not so good) or use an anchor text term such as 'sign up here' and hyperlink it with the URL that includes your tracker (as previously set up). You can take this process further by creating different named trackers so that you can see where your referrals etc are coming from, but I tend to keep it simple and just have the one personally. You can use it anywhere and if people click on it and join HP you will earn a small amount from hubs they publish in future.

oh oh oh, I think it's sinking in now. Thanks (It ain't easy feeling simple) :-)

It's that programmer lingo, tends to make a lot of people feel a bit simple, but you'll get it don't worry.

psst. do you get this one?
          Add this meta tag to the <head> of your index.html file or equivalent?
          I need to verify my address for a social media site and they instruct me to upload an HTML or URL. I'm capable of copying and pasting but I don't know where I'm supposed to be putting this? Do you understand this?

I understand where and how they are asking you to add the meta tag, which I'll cover that in a second. However, I'm not sure exactly what is meant by upload an HTML or URL, as in where do they want you to upload the file?  I would have to check out the site to really understand what they are asking in regards to the upload.

When a site asks you to add a meta tag to the <head> of your index.html file or equivalent, it requires that you have access to edit your profile or hubs' HTML, PHP, or some other web script file, which unfortunately we hubbers don't have access to. Hubbers are best going with networks that either only require you to add a confirmation code to the RSS feed (which you would add to your summary in order for it to show up in the RSS feed), on a newly published hub, or don't require you to confirm ownership.

Oh okay, I was getting some information that suggested that we don't have the capabilities to do that on Hubpages but they were older documents and I didn't know if things have changed. Well I guess I don't have to worry about not doing something everyone else is because nobody else can. BTW, I just created a Pinterest account the other day to kind of coincide with my Hubpages and they instructed me to verify my website by doing uploading the HTML or pasting the Meta Tag and I spent half of the day trying to figure out how to get to it. Ha, thanks. Thanks again! You're the best. You really should do a "....for Dummies" hub or book.

Thanks, I am actually working on quite a few projects and book ideas. Sorry to hear that you spent half your day trying to get the Meta tag working, I would have responded earlier, however my Internet connection on my laptop has been in and out all day, and as it is spring break my children confiscated the desktop so I've been keeping busy with chores and working on my other projects that don't require the Internet.

I hope you do get some of these projects done; they'll be great I'm sure. No need to apologize you've been a ton of help. We just finished our mid-winter break in NY a week or two ago, we have spring break in a couple of weeks. Then I get to have my kids drive me nuts!

7. profile image0
    AccumulateAmericaposted 11 years ago

Oh thank you Page1 SEO tactics for taking that time to explain it! I was struggling to understand it also! I have already implemented this. Finally! Thanks to you, in the hug I wrote tonight. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Plus thank you Cantuhearmescream for asking! I understood how it worked, but I couldn't get the url coding right. Thank you for getting the answers! Book marked into my favorites, for later dissecting.

AccumulateAmerica,
      Don't thank me, I got sick and tired of feeling like a moron and figured someone out there just might have pity on me and help. :-)
      I'm glad it helped you too!

2. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55

Your welcome AccumulateAmerica, glad it helped you out.

8. profile image0
    AccumulateAmericaposted 11 years ago

Credit where credit is due. You asked what I had not got to yet. Thank you. big_smile I hope we all see a positive effect from this knowledge.

Okay, I won't fight it... you're welcome.
      I'm still fiddling with them a bit, I certainly haven't mastered the craft yet, but I'm sure it'll get easier with time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)