Possibly dumb question about sign ups and referrals

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. kerryg profile image82
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I've read the FAQ, darkside's hubs, and several forum threads and didn't see an answer to this.

If somebody lands on one of my hubs via a Google search, for example, and thinks "WTF is this cr*p? I could do better!" or (hopefully!) "Wow, this is so awesome - I want to join this site so I can be sure to read all of this person's brilliant writings!" and clicks the sign-up link at the top of the page, does that count as a sign-up for me, or does the person have to arrive at my hub via my URL tracker for that to happen?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

2. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Good question - I'm not sure but I would like to know the answer!  Anyone out there know?

1. ngureco profile image79
      ngurecoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That person have to arrive at HUBPAGES  via your URL tracker for that to happen.

3. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

The person has to arrive via a link with your tracker. If the person comes to you hub via Google or another search engine, and then signs up, you don't get any referral for that.

4. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

I think you are right.  I tried logging out and going to one of my own hubs.  There is a HubPages sign up box top right and the URL doesn't contain anything to link it to my account. 

If this is the case then all you can do is put your own signup invitation within the hub text with tracker and hope that they use that instead of the official one.

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's not going to contain the tab to your account, if you signed out of your account. You have to be signed in, in order to see the account tab. If you're talking about linking to your account, it doesn't. The tracker appears for a brief few seconds and then disappears in the URL box, but the cookie was saved and any signups via that tracking cookie are marked on your account.

What official tracker are you talking about? Any tracker that you add to your link is official. Traffic from search engines do not contain trackers, so the HP team can't watch who signs up via clicking your links from search engines.

5. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Good and relevant info.

6. kerryg profile image82
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

Thanks, Whitney and ngureco. And also, darn.

I do much better for referrals on Squidoo than HubPages for some reason, and I think most have come from SE traffic rather than my actual referral links. Obviously I need to work on my strategy. sad

Whitney, if you log out and look at a hub, there's a sign-up link that shows at the top of the hub. I think that's what Rik was referring to.

I never got any real referrals from Squidoo, but I didn't try too hard either... Same with HubPages. I get some referrals, but most of them don't actually write anything. I occassionally email them in hopes that they'll ask questions or something to get them writing, but it usually doesn't work. I've about given up. I just know I continue using the trackers as much as I can, but it's not really doing much good. I know it works for SunSeven a great deal, but I'm not sure how much she markets with her trackers.

At first I thought he was talking about hte Account Tab, and then I think he was actually looking for something that said he was sent to HubPages via a link to his hub. The sign up button is on every page when you're logged out, whether you were sent to HubPages via a referral tracker or not... I don't know...

2. ngureco profile image79
      ngurecoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can design a strategy.

For example: If you can place your tracker on squidoo and bring all those gals and guys in any page on hubpages  (including your hubs), all those signup and commissions are yours.

7. darkside profile image59
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Inside your own hubs you can link to other hubs with your own referral tracker and if within 30 days (provided they don't click on someone elses referral tracker) they sign up, you get the referral.

You can create a referral tracker to go directly to the sign up page. No mess, no fuss. Though I wouldn't put this on every single hub as it'd get a bit repetitive.

Previously there used to be an graphic on hubs for visitors (when you're not logged in) that invited people to sign up. That I believe was an automatic referral tracker for the author of the page. But I could be wrong. In any case, I logged out to see if it was still there and it isn't.

I didn't think that we got referral to those sign ups... Hm... Are you talking about the 'Join' button that used to be on the right hand side above the hubbers profile picture?

1. darkside profile image59
        darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's the one. It had some kind of long URL that was a tracking code. I was unsure whether or not it was a default tracker that would reward the hub author or the original referrer. But it wasn't a straight http://hubpages.com/user/new/

It was tracking someone, not sure who.

1. kerryg profile image82
          kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's still here when I log out. Here's the URL: http://hubpages.com/user/new/?utm_sourc … override=1

This is from one of Pam's hubs (it was on the front page) and I don't see anything that could be crediting the sign-up to her.

Hmmmmm, you know what, I think I was thinking of the Squidoo referral system.

8. Dorsi profile image83
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

It's not a dumb question- I still get confused on how I'm getting writers to sign up. I have created trackers, and I have "recruited" 21 people, and some are actually writing, and there used to be a hubpage "banner" that we could put on our sites but I don't see that anymore. I still wish there was an easier way to invite friends, or signing people up, as I am still somewhat confused by the current system.

1. Stacie L profile image85
      Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think I've almost given up on inviting; or at least getting people to write. I have a lot of people reading and writing to me but not many will join.It's a  curious thing. Anyone else a little frustrated about this? roll

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I view any sign-up as a bonus and any subsequent hubs as a blessing. I tend try not to get frustrated at the things which I have no control over. smile

9. Anamika S profile image64
    Anamika Sposted 15 years ago

That's not a dumb Question.

You can use trackers to any article or Profile page by using the link to this page at the bottom of the Page and promote the urls. If someone signs up from the page, he/she becomes your referral.

But the actual challenge is to get your referrals to be active.  I have 51 referrals but i have only 5 people who are active to some extent. The rest have only joined and have not even bothered to put a Profile. Incidentally I was looking at the URL trackers today and thought they may need a little pushing. So now I am in the process of sending motivational  mails to them about what i have achieved in 8 months here and tips on how to start with Hub Pages.

You could do it too.. Send a mail thanking them for joining as your referral and offer help with Hub Pages on how to start. Add a wish for New year too. I don't think they would mind that. But don't make a habit of sending mails every second day. As you say you can show the water, but can't force them to drink. They have to come here at their own free will.

10. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I don't even know how I know if I have or got a referral ... really new...yeah..I know, lol

If you go to your Referral Trackers page and click on one of you tracking tokens, you'll see the people who you've referred.

11. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

Can I give you a hug, Darkside? ...thank you so much for the tip, smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)