‘Howling Winds’ Drive Massive Dust Storm Across Phoenix

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Did you all see this... it is pretty insane... the video at the link is just awesome... the hand of God smacking America.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5237623_f248.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5237626_f248.jpg

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/its-cal … s-phoenix/

1. KiaKitori profile image68
      KiaKitoriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I saw the news last night. It is scary. i hope people are OK there.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Mr. Mason, please tell me that is just an expression I've never heard before. Please tell me you don't truly believe the hand of a god is in that storm.

TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is just a, "figure of speech", Emile... don't get all worried.

Just couse some on here cannot help but to run to the exremist interpretation, does not mean that is what I am saying.

It is a figure of speech which is used all the time in causual conversation, to connote the extreme nature of an event... or the awe you feel as reagrds it.

Not literally... just the Atheists want to run to that interpretation to play their lil games.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok. smile I didn't think so, but I guess you saw the thread I saw that on. And you're right about the atheists, but it isn't just them. It's almost seems like everyone here jumps to the worst possible conclusions immediately. It really gets me down. I don't know why they named it a discussion forum. It would be better named a finger pointing free for all.

But. Back on topic. Wow. That's one big storm.

I thought it was quite insane looking, emile. I would like to find some long video of it, but all I have seen is the same old 20 second shot everwhere... so... you see it anywhere let me know please.

1. Ms Dee profile image85
            Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's one more than 20 sec but may not show any more than the short versions show.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PfEqR2B8UQ

3. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

I bet the insurance Cos. will have no shame in calling it an act of God when they deny all the claims.

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 12 years ago

I've actually seen and experienced a dust storm like this. We were driving right toward it. It seemed so extremely close like you could reach out and touch it, but it took an hour of driving to actually hit the front of the storm. 10 minutes later, it was like driving at night. Very freaky. All kinds of accidents on the highway. The next day was calm, but everything was covered in dust, sometimes up to an inch or more.

Although storms like that have been around for quite a while, they seem to be infrequent. This one, however, was just so overpowering. Quite a spectacle.

1. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting to hear your experience, Daniel!  So do you see this one as more overpowering than other's of dust storms there?

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It seemed larger than a few of the others I've seen. I was at the Phoenix airport two years ago when such a dust storm blew in. My flight departed about 15 minutes before the airport shut down. It seemed quite massive to watch it blow in, but it was like watching everything in slow motion. The storm moved with remarkable speed, but was still dozens of miles away and took another 30 minutes to hit. Just that air traffic was being effected in three directions, hence the total shutdown.

I think the one that hit the other day was much more massive. A mile high is a pretty overpowering spectacle.

I was in Palm Springs over the 4th holiday just a few days ago. I woke up to what I thought was fog, but as I went out to the car in the 110ºF heat, I realized it was dust. Hard to breathe that stuff. UGH!! Oddly, the air was a little breezy, but not really windy. It was the next day that it hit Phoenix. The dust was awful. There was a small cloud burst a little later that day and the mud was nearly impossible to get off the car once it baked in the high heat. Crazy, crazy stuff.

The other one that I drove through was equally overpowering, but I don't think either of these were as massive as the one that hit Phoenix the other day. I'm glad I wasn't there.

1. profile image52
          frosty eagleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

given the mythical bird that rises from the ash's, what else happened that day that would prompt the god's to send a projected cloud of justice, as to a wrong being righted on a national scale, if ya catch the drift of that rusty dusty storm over phoenix,ect..jff

5. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

Not so much the hand of God as the hand of nature. lol Arizona set two new temperature records two days before the dust storm struck and is smack in the middle of a drought worse than the Dust Bowl, so it's hardly surprising that they'd be getting haboobs to rival the Sahara.

The Medieval Warm Period that deniers are so fond of throwing into people's faces as some sort of "evidence" that global warming is totally natural and okay and won't cause any problems for humanity at all was marked by droughts in Arizona and the US Southwest that lasted up to 60 years. Wonder how long Phoenix will last when those start setting in...

I would think some of all that ash that has been created from the fires all around them would have added to it also. Not that i blame Al Gore's global warming for it... but I just think that ashe was probrably an added factor.

I could be wrong on the ash though...

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Not that i blame Al Gore's global warming for it... "

How is that cruise down the Nile? The link between global warming and more frequent, more severe wildfires has been well established for years.

http://i54.tinypic.com/98vr6o.gif

(Switch to chronological view to read excerpts)

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate … ires_x.htm

The Science study cited is here: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/313/5789/940.short

http://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/pri … int/394601

There is a difference between the global temperatures rising and falling in natural cycles... and Al Gore's global warming.

I know you know that, Kerry.

I know you all like to speak of them as one and the same... but they are not.

1. kerryg profile image84
            kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, at least you admit it's happening, which is more than I can say for some of the wingnuts around here. lol

If I remember correctly, you even admit that it's caused by rising CO2 levels, since you argued in another thread that it was because of volcanoes.

Here are the relevant stats:

Annual CO2 emissions from volcanoes: 65-319 million tons
            Annual CO2 emissions from human activities: 30 billion tons

Somebody professional really needs to come up with a pretty little chart for this, but since a quick Google search failed to turn one up, I made my own big_smile

http://i53.tinypic.com/hun30w.jpg

6. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 12 years ago

I saw the video on CNN. It is an incredible phenomena and this was rare in the sense that it was so large and high. It is not an unusual phenomena because it happens a few times a year in the Midwest just not in this size. TMMason this is not  a God thing just a natural occurring event.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)