You can now disable Pinterest pinning on your Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (66 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

We noted that several users had concerns about having their Hubs pinned on the social network Pinterest.

You can now disallow pinning by checking off the checkbox on this page:

My Account > Profile > Social Networks

Checking this box will do two things:
    1. It will remove the "Pin It" button on all of your Hubs
    2. It will serve up a message saying pinning is not allowed to those pinning using the Pinterest bookmarklet in their browser

1. snakeslane profile image79
      snakeslaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am impressed with Hub Pages' quick work on this issue. smile

1. oceansnsunsets profile image84
        oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Snakeslane, I am also, that was pretty impressive, because it was starting to seem impossible considering all things. 

All should be very happy now! smile

2. loveofnight profile image76
        loveofnightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So am I

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Very prompt response.  Much appreciated.

3. overads profile image60
      overadsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i like hubpages big_smile

4. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason,  I wonder if the change to the code to opt out of Pinterst has introduced the other problem that I reported...

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/93816

2. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Excellent! Well done!

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

The lynch mob quietly recedes... big_smile

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

a bit strong in my case. I just didn't want it on my hubs, not get rid of it totally. wink

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

I just went and pinned a forum thread.

I just republished all my photo galleries I had of my cat. Six of them. I think I'll not publish anything new for the next couple of days so not as to annoy people using the feed on the home page.

I'll go pin a couple of them.

Just Kidding!

My forum thread pin already has 4 likes.

[edit: Cute kitty cat. I just tweeted the critter.]

smile

4. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

I want an option to make the button much larger! lol

+1

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok, now that is funny!

I am still undecided, but I have come full circle it seems and I think I will leave the pin it button up for now!  Traffic is a good thing, and I am convinced that as fast as that site is moving up in Alexa, etc, that its a benefit, not a detriment.

Anyway regardless, that is hilarious, the option to make it much larger! haha

5. paradigmsearch profile image61

As for me, I continue to be pro-pin.smile

6. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

Great work, Jason. Thanks.

7. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

You all can go pin all my hubs! I don't mind. The traffic from Pinterest has been great for me.

@ Jason, can you choose which hubs to place the button on or is it all or nothing?

As someone who disabled my button so I could republish my photo galleries of Amy, I can tell you that it is indeed all or nothing.

2. Jason Menayan profile image59
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All or nothing. smile

1. Cardisa profile image89
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jason and Flora!

2. profile image0
        kelleywardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason I published a hub today and went to try and pin it and it has been removed from my latest hub. I checked and the box on my profile is not checked to disable pinterest so not sure what to do now.

Your pics are too small. Put in a bigger first pic, and the button will show.

1. profile image0
            kelleywardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! That was all the author of the book had. Didn't know had to be a certain size. I just went to Pinterest and posted it from there. Thanks again for the good information!

3. jacharless profile image74
        jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason Rocks!

3. Sinea Pies profile image61
      Sinea Piesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, you have noticed a big increase in traffic? That's encouraging.

8. jenniferrpovey profile image76
    jenniferrpoveyposted 12 years ago

Thank you. I've disabled it until Pinterest tweaks or clarifies their TOS. At that point, pin away wink.

9. paradigmsearch profile image61

I just discovered a Pinterest user who has done 214,530 Likes. That mouse of his must be on life support by now...

What the... Now it's 216,066 Likes.

Yep, paradigmsearch has just realized that there are Pinterest apps.

1. Cardisa profile image89
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol, I wonder if that person's finger hurts from clicking that mouse or maybe the mouse is feeling a bit woozy...lol

He's now at 218,206 Likes.

This means he's doing over 1,000 Likes every 10 minutes.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
                Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's me!  I love everything!  It's a side-affect of my medication.

I'm still trying to decide if I want the app that enables him to do this. I've already made one attempt to find it, but was unsuccessful.

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
                    Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe there is a prize for the most pins in a day!  like, "King of Pins" button, or  something. smile

10. Astra Nomik profile image65
    Astra Nomikposted 12 years ago

Pinterest serves up a willing audience, as do many social media. I like the extra traffic my hubs are getting thanks to the Pinterest feature, and others have said similar on the hubs. It's a nice option to have in case things ever change.

Pinterest can send pinned material to Facebook or Twitter, so it's a great way to spread the Hub love. As long as it's used carefully, it's a great feature. Thank you for taking everyone's views on board.

11. stugod profile image67
    stugodposted 12 years ago

Pin on down for me. The more the merrier.

12. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

No problems on my ends. Traffic from the site has increased for me dramatically....so Pin it!.....cool

1. Camille Harris profile image88
      Camille Harrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's great to hear, Luis! It's what we suspected all along.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's me who owes you a ton of thanks..........big_smile

13. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Thanks very much for this! I really, really appreciate the way you've listened to and figured out something that works for everyone!

ETA: Drat, I'm on my iPad -- visiting an elderly grandma this week -- and can't edit my Pinterest Copyright hub to add this info until I get home. I will do once I'm there!

14. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 12 years ago

Ah...the things you can learn on forums. What would happen to me without you Jason? Pinterest is news to me. Still don't have an opinion. I am sure my family knows all about pinning. Asking them what they think about pinning will be on my list tomorrow.

15. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

I've disabled it for now as I'm quite busy and will have to take a look into it before I allow pinning. I'd have no problem if there wouldn't be a whole flood of comments saying they didn't want it big_smile

16. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Does anyone know that if we include youtube videos in our hubs (ones we did not make) is that allowable for pinning?  I understand photos must be original or ones correctly attributed.

Is it true that once posted...whether we pin it or not...the photos belong to that site to be used however they wish?

I can't speak on behalf of Pinterest, and I may be wrong here, but my understanding is that Pinterest's TOS allows it store and reprint on its site "full-size" images from your Hubs. I don't think they have any interest in selling your photos, or assuming ownership of them, although they do store pinned photos on their servers.

Any time photos are publicly visible, then there's a chance for someone to steal photos without asking. The only way to prevent this from happening is to not publish images on any public site anywhere. It's just the nature of the Internet and Web technologies.

17. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

Thanks Jason.  I'm glad you gave us a way to disable it. I was always concerned that Pinterest did not carry credits forward when someone pins an image that we used with proper credits as requested by the site we originally found it. (taking a breath cool ).

18. kittyjj profile image69
    kittyjjposted 12 years ago

Thank your for giving us the control over "pin it".  smile

19. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 12 years ago

Thank you Jason.  I now have Pinterest disabled on my hubs, and am thrilled to have the option to do so.  Now I can put back some of my own original photos which I had removed earlier! This is fantastic, thanks for giving us the option to control whether our hubs can be pinned.

20. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Thanks Jason.  For now I disallowed Pinterest in order to become more informed about it.  While increased views would be nice, since it was an all or nothing proposition, I'm not sure that I want all of my original photos released to the public and lose my rights to them, especially since I have included photos of some of my original artwork.

21. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Thanks, Jason and Hubpages.  It is always nice to have a choice.  Personally, I love pinning.  I don't pin other hubbers' hubs unless we follow each other on Pinterest.  But for those who might want to pin my hubs... Please, pin away. smile

22. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I like choices, and this decision came awfully quick.  I can't win for losing when it comes to tech.  Until I fully understand the whole process of pinning, I will stay away from my PIN button.  I don't want to get carried away and become a pinning fool.  I am already addicted to HubPages, and I may branch out to pinning.  Who knows?

23. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

Now I know you can pin your own hubs I am going to do a few a day, just to see if it does bring any more traffic, at least by doing my own I know I won't tread on any toes! lol! unless anyone says they don't mind me adding their's.

24. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Auuuuggggghhhhhhhh!  Thanks for the info, Glenn.

25. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

So, if I understood Jason's OP saying that we could now disable the "Pinterest" button on our hubs...(globally--thank you for that time-saver!), it seemed that he also indicated there would be an advisory notice instead saying that "pinning" was not allowed on that hub. 
    I have checked several of my hubs at random, and I do not see that at all.  It does not matter whether or not I am signed in.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The advisory comes up when someone tries to Pin your Hub on Pinterest - it's not on the Hub!

That's correct. Also, the Pin It buttons are removed.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
          DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OIC-- thank your for that clarification.  And yes, the buttons disappeared instantly.  smile

26. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Very good, Jason - I'm pleased to see that Hubpages.com is listening to it's users.

I think the "all or nothing" is entirely fair and reasonable.

Of course I understand why some folks don't want to be pinned, can we get an auto redirect thing going that suggests that they pin my less successful product hubs?

Someone once told me that if I failed to ask for things that I'd never get them....

Unfortunately, that message that's served up is through Pinterest, and we have no way to alter it. smile

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

Thanks again and thanks anyway!

:-)

27. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 12 years ago

I have pinned a couople of things but now when I enter to pin via twitter it says there is no link.  I haven't changed any settings.....anyone suggest anything.  Why do some think pinning is not a good idea?

28. Game Obsessed profile image65
    Game Obsessedposted 12 years ago

This is great news and thankyou for acting so fast on the subject.

29. LetitiaFT profile image74
    LetitiaFTposted 11 years ago

Great! Thanks for providing us with a Pinterest opt-out! I read Greekgeek's comprehensive article on the topic (http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Pi … Violations). I don't mind "people" pinning my photos, on the contrary. However I do mind Pinterest owning the copyright to them,and I certainly don't want to hand over to Pinterest the copyright to photos other people have entrusted to me!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)