17 Super Health Benefits of a Macrobiotic Diet
Benefits of a Macrobiotic Diet
Macrobiotic diet is not just food and eating. It’s a complete way of life, in which you take care of your self and the nature. Benefits of a macrobiotic diet are huge and many of them positively affect human’s life making us healthier, stronger and less prone to all kinds of illnesses.
People who live their lives according to macrobiotic principles consume a lot of:
- Organically grown food
- Seasonable, fresh fruits and vegetables
- Soy products
- Wholegrain cereals
- Nuts and seeds
- Plant drinks
Macrobiotic diet doesn’t include::
- Meat of any kind
- Diary products
- Plain sugars and their products
Here are the 17 health benefits of a macrobiotic diet:
- Macrobiotic diet includes eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, instead of frozen ones. Frozen vegetables and fruits don’t have vital energy, which is very important in macrobiotics. Fresh food contains wide range of nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals and enzymes, which generally improve health and immune system.
- Macrobiotic diet is full of low fat food and food high in fibers, which helps lower the risk for cancers such as colorectal, ovarian, and prostate cancer as well as diabetes.
- In macrobiotic diet, organic foods plays important role. Organically grown food decreases pesticide exposure which is associated with cancer and infertility.
- Macrobiotic diet increases energy. Whole grains and vegetables are full of complex carbohydrates, which are absorbed slowly into the bloodstream and there is no immediate demand for insulin. That way the body gets constant energy, which allows people to be more effective and less tired.
- Macrobiotics prevents obesity. Simple carbohydrates such as white sugar, honey and corn syrup are not part of macrobiotic diet. Those simple sugars give a burst of energy, but after a short period of time people experience so called energy crash. The consumption of sugar, which demands the release of insulin, has been linked to obesity, because the insulin is also known as fat storage hormone.
- Wholegrain cereals and flour are rich with vitamin B. A diet rich in whole grains decreases the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some forms of cancer. Wholegrain diet helps maintain healthy bowel and healthy bacteria growth.
- Macrobiotic diet foods don’t contain saturated fats and
hydrogenated oils. Saturated fats, which are
present mostly in animal products, tend to deposit within the cells,
organs and arteries. If eaten in excess, saturated fats can cause numerous
Unsaturated fats present in macrobiotic diet foods are on the other hand very healthy, if eaten rationally. They can be found in nuts, seeds and vegetables. They are fluid in the body and they fulfill their important chemical and transport functions.
- Red meat is something that should be replaced with quality plant protein. Red and processed meat such as bacon, sausages and burgers increases the risk of bowel cancer.
- Consuming algae regularly improves overall health. Algae contain almost all nutrients, minerals, vitamins, proteins, amino acids, chlorophyll and fiber. Algae are rich with iron, calcium and magnesium, which helps maintain strong bones and healthy blood system. It also helps to reduce anxiety and treat sleep disorders.
- Legumes are important source of protein and great substitute for meat. They are rich with iron, potassium, calcium, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Nuts help lower the risk of hearth disease. Nuts are rich with fiber, omega 3, vitamin E and selenium, but also contain many antioxidants and phytonutrients and thus help improve immune system. Omega 3, also known as the good fats lower LDL cholesterol.
- Seed are full of omega 3 fatty acids, iron, calcium and magnesium. They act as antioxidants, help losing weight, and contribute to overall health.
- Many macrobiotic foods have anti aging effect. Wholegrain cereals are rich with fiber and vitamin B that are known to have rich anti-aging components. Healthy nuts and seeds are great anti aging foods. Plant drinks made of fresh baby barley and wheat are rich with chlorophyll and antioxidants, which keep us young and healthy.
- Organically grown soy, which is not genetically modified, is eaten very often in macrobiotics. Soy has many health benefits. Thanks to its phytoestrogens, soy helps to maintain estrogen levels in women who entered in menopause. Soy also protects against Alzheimer’s disease, hearth disease and osteoporosis. Fermented soy products are more easily digested, have more nutritional value and should be consumed most of the time.
- Fermented food contains enzymes which are very important for overall health. Including fermented foods in the diet helps reducing high cholesterol levels in the blood, strengthens and supports the digestive and immune systems. In the other words, these foods help prevent diseases like cancer.
- Methods of preparation are very important in macrobiotics.They affect the energy in food and are suited to the season. There are five tastes: sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and pungent. Cooking time is suited to seasons as well, which allows better exploitation of nutrients from food.
- In macrobiotics, only natural cooking utensils are used. Glass, wood, enamel and stainless steel are mostly used. Unlike plastic, which is unhealthy and contains BPA, which is suspected to increase the risk for cancer, natural cooking utensils don’t have side affects.
Macrobiotics doesn’t fit to anyone. Usually there is some healthy problem, condition or a disease that make someone with from standard to macrobiotic diet. There are many debates about macrobiotic, especially if meat can be replaced with any other food, from proteins and vitamin B12 point of view. But, with vitamin B12 supplements, benefits of a macrobiotic diet are numerous. Macrobiotics has a huge impact on humans health, especially now, when people are hurrying all the time and dealing with high level of stress more than ever.
Related Health Hubs
- Eating in Seasons: Healthy Summer Diet Plan
Try those simple and tasty summer suggestions and make your own summer healthy diet plan. Look nice and get ready for summer.
- Dangers of Standard American Diet (SAD)
Standard American Diet (SAD), also known as stereotypical American diet is high in unhealthy and low in healthy ingredients. It gives a great deal of calories, but is lacking in ingredients with nutritional value. Side effects are numerous.
- Buy Ecover Cleaning Eco Products Online
If you are looking to buy ecological washing and cleansing products, Ecover might be your best choice. Ecover eco products have many benefits. If you care for yourself, your home and environment,...
- Black Garlic Health Benefits, How to Use and Buy Black Garlic, with Delicious Black Garlic Recipe
Black garlic is has many health benefits. Here is a list of black garlic health benefits, advice how to prepare it and buy it. And two great recipes.
- How to Start Macrobiotic Diet Step by Step
How to start macrobiotic diet Many people decide to start macrobiotic diet when they face certain illness or condition. Standard American diet has become unhealthy and many people are considering...
- How to Improve Your Eyesight Naturally: Eye Health Vitamins, Food for Eye Health
If you are wondering how to improve your eyesight naturally, the answer is in eye health vitamins and proper food for eye health.
- Eating In Seasons: Spring Diet Plan
Make your own spring diet plan. Learn what food is the best spering diet.
- Simple Rules How To Improve (Boost) Your Immune System
People get sick in different ways and on different time basis. Some gets simple cold once a year, while other has repeating infections in a short period of time. What's the main reason for that? ...
- Healthy Cooking Taste of Home: Back In 80s We Had Healthier Meals
Learn more about healthy cooking, ceramic pots, herbs and other interesting stuff.
More by this Author
Rooming-in in hospitals and birth centres can be a great start for you and your baby. Here you will find useful information about rooimng in, what is good and what could be bad if you decided to have it.
If you would like to change your diet and become macrobiotic this step by step guide will help you do it. Here you will find useful advice, explanations, examples and much more when it comes to macrobiotic diet food and...
Learn how to use breathing techiniques, breathing exercises and relaxation techniques while giving birth to your baby. Breating is very important during natural childbirth and can help you feel less pain and be more...