I want to do a push-up!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (40 posts)
  1. purpleangel47 profile image61
    purpleangel47posted 13 years ago

Well, more than one actually. smile I need a tried and true method to practice doing pushups without landing on my face. smile I try holding my body up in the air (doing the male pushup ... but oh by the way I can't do a female pushup on my knees either) but my mid-section sags and my arms scream "FORGET IT!"
    Should I just keep practicing this way? I know I'm 48 and old but I still wanna be able to do push-ups.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What you're doing will eventually work if you keep doing it, but it probably feels very frustrating.  You could start out by doing pushups on a desk (feet on ground, hands on desk).  You can probably actually complete a few that way and can monitor your progress.  I do this at work a lot.  Keep in mind, though, that the angle will be different from the angle of pushups on the floor, which means the muscles worked will be slightly different.  This is a good thing, but it also means you should keep trying to do them on the floor, too, if that is your eventual goal.

purpleangel47posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will try the desk and keep trying the floor too @PrettyPanther. Thank you

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

3. laralu profile image58
      laraluposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try using a pilates ring  can help a lot.  Place it on the floor under you so that it supports you right between the breasts - a little bizarre, I know, but it gives you the  support you need to not hit the floor with your face.  Try it, you'll feel empowered!

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

It took me 8 months of work to get strong enough to do one real "guy" push up. Then within a month of that I could do 5.

I was recovering from a back muscle injury and was so weak I had to put a pillow under my stomach in case I fell! At first I could just hold my self in the upper position for like 3 seconds. But each day I did a little more. (I'm in my early 50's)

I also do an hour of yoga and an hour of aerobics each day.

Wow @Nelle Hoxie ... I'm impressed! Ok, so I'm on the right track. Sounds like I need to be patient.
      Thank you ... I wanna be like you when i grow up! wink

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

lol, the guy push ups are challenging. if you can't do one on your knees, try doing some simple weight-bearing exercises to strengthen your arms first. even giving yourself a very simple goal of being able to do 1 will help if you make that your goal.

you can also do simple wall presses with your arms that will strengthen them.  stand arm length away from the wall, feet shoulder width apart and press forward and back with your arms.

I have a hub about working out without equipment which may help.
    good luck, and don't feel bad, many women can't do push ups.

Thank you @rebekahELLE ... the wall is a great idea too. I'm working with free weights to hopefully strengthen my arms.
      I'm gonna keep on trying wink

1. Bacall profile image60
        Bacallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are so funny! Besides the wall press; if you are able to do bench presses that will work wonders for you. It will strengthen your arms and back. You'll be dropping down and giving me ten in no time. Good luck to you.

Ahh ... bench presses!  Thank you Bacall. Now you know I'm pitiful; I usually walk right by that equipment at the gym to get to the treadmill. smile

1. Bacall profile image60
            Bacallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dont be intimidated, straight up bench pressing for a week, and see what happens. And dont let anybody make you wanna do more weight than you are comfortable with starting with. The best trick is light weights and alot of repetitions. One week, come back and tell me I got my ten!

The best of luck to you.

You were so honest and funny you really made me laugh.

smile Thank you Bacall ... alright light weights, lotta reps ... I'm on it! smile I'll be back!

4. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

At least women don't have to go as far to touch the floor! smile
    I can't do them either, I just tried and can only go down one inch for each pushup (well, that's if it can be called a pushup).

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it's hard. no one should feel bad if you can't do one.

I'm reading a book about the power of less and he talks about making 30 day challenges to make a new habit, to do it each day at the same time and within 30 days, it should be accomplished and a habit.

2. purpleangel47 profile image61

smile I can't even measure any inches ... once I go down, that's where I stay smile

5. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Is there a place near you does horse-riding? That builds incredible muscles in the upper body without a lot of obvious effort.

Horse-riding builds upper body strength IzzyM? Wow ... I would have never guessed that. I've never ridden a horse, but in the farther parts of Western Maryland, there are accesses to horses. I'll keep that in mind, thank you very much.

6. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

It will take time, but keep at it and you will be fine smile

Doing semi pushups against a bed or some other object which gives you an angle can help a little though!

Thank you thisisoli! I'm gonna do my best! smile

1. Friendlyword profile image61
        Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Angel
        How many Push ups can I get from you so far?

7. workoutdaily profile image60
    workoutdailyposted 13 years ago

All the posted answers are perfect, weight training, do a little everyday to get stronger and pushups on a desk as well.
    I would add that you need to strengthen the muscles around you core as well. I would keep doing a push up hold on the ground (without actually bending the elbows) it's called plank position in yoga, and start with holding for just 30 seconds and add on each week until you are at a minute.
    I would suggest you make a routine. Say ... everyday do 10 pushups on a desk, do a 30 second plank and then do 2 other arm exercises with weights.
    And most important.. don't give up! Consistency is key!

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is really good advice!  smile

2. purpleangel47 profile image61

Oh wow! I tried that plank position ... whooee! So would a 15-second start do instead of 30? That was worse than the push-up! smile

With all this great advice, I'm starting on a routine - with upper body and core strength my focus. I'll be back to let you know how it's coming! That is if that plank position doesn't floor me or I cave in my chest trying to bench press. smile smh ......

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

start with whatever you can. give yourself a goal you can achieve, even if it's only 10 sec. at first.

enjoy, maybe we can keep this as a work-out inspiration thread. smile

excellent  idea! I need all the inspiration I can get when it comes to upper body strength! smile

8. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

just keep work on it youll get it smile

9. Jentle profile image60
    Jentleposted 13 years ago

Gradually build your upper body strength. There are modifications you can do, one is push ups on your knees but if that is to difficult you can get someone to assist you and slowly after a couple of weeks you should be able to do at least a few by yourself. Then keep challenging yourself! Good luck smile

Thank you Jentle! smile

10. profile image48
    motown25posted 13 years ago

google the 100 press up challenge, it's a 6 week programme improving your push up ability, i think it's also an i-phone app

11. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Try reverse pushups.

That is, just lower yourself as slowly as you can.

You can use the same method to get strong enough to do pullups - get on a chair, grab the bar and then  lower yourself as slowly as you can.

You can do reverses with almost anything.  I incorporate reverses into my workouts; when I'm pooped out in pulluos or dips, I do a few reverses to cap it off,

These will build strength quickly.

12. wisetobefit profile image61
    wisetobefitposted 13 years ago

Have you ever tried using an excerise ball (the larger one) If you position yourself by getting on the ball stomach first hands down in push up position with ball under lower to mid abdomen, using the ball as balance press weight down as in a push up with chest, then up again.

13. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Like Nellie mentioned, hold yourself in the upper position for as long as you can.
    Another good way to practice is to stand up, hold your arms straight out lean against the wall in front of you. Try doing push ups vertically against the wall. It'll also help strengthen upper body.

14. profile image0
    Rieceposted 13 years ago

Best way to do it is to practice on a desk, sink, or wall. If you have a a gym membership or very light dumbbells, practice bench pressing them. Starting with 5 pounds shouldn't be too much of a challenge, and building that strength will help you do a pushup.

15. Diane Inside profile image71
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

To get your upper back strong and your shoulders which helps with push ups, back up to a corner with your arms bent and the elbows and raised shoulder height, push yourself out away from the corner. Do that 10-20 times at a few times a day. You'll really feel it in the shoulders the more you do them. Then wall presses like the other poster said is good. Good Luck.

16. BigL_Lawrence profile image43
    BigL_Lawrenceposted 13 years ago

Look for the opportunity to do 1-2 pushups, a few times a day, i used to do that each time i used the staff toilet. Once you get to being able to comfortably do 10, then you an really build up from there. Adjust you arm positions, wide, narrow normal, this will allow your muscles to last longer, you'll be upto 100 pushups in a couple of months easy.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-do-100-push-ups

17. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Once you've got 10 push ups down set your watch alarm by the hour, and do the amount of push ups that corresponds to the hour hand. Ex. at 1:00 do 1 push up at 2:00 do 2.  Once that becomes easy multiply the hour hand by two then three and so on.

18. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

First of all 48 is not old. That is the first thing you want to get out of your mind. If you sift through the advice you have been give here you should be able to do push ups very soon and more than just one.

19. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I find if you put something alluring and enticing on the floor below you it really motivates you to do more. In my case it is a plate of peeled prawns.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and THAT was exactly what I was also thinking, a plate of prawns.........Yumm......motivational.....yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)