One Rep Max Calculator

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 13 years ago

Whats the difference between each of these one rep maxes? http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=18

I noticed the second one to be more accurate. But honestly, I think you need to find the number in between the two numbers.

The first one always gives higher numbers

The second one always gives slightly lower than first.

1. Jbigby profile image61
      Jbigbyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those are just guesses.  Not sure if either of them are true except to have an average idea of how strong you are on a 1 rep max.  I find that if your not training to lift in a competition, then a 1 rep max is really pointless.  However, the only true way to tell for a 1 rep max is to lift on the bench and keep increasing your weight until you can't lift anymore.  I would say that the second one is probably closer.  My max on the weight bench for 225lbs is 25 reps.  I never do more than 225lbs.  It gave the max weight of 411lbs which in my opinion would be somewhat close to my max bench press.  Possibly off by 25lbs-40lbs.

David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

225 for 25 reps? Are you a powerlifter/bodybuilder or something? Someday I would like to be able to bench 315. I hate my genetics lol. My dad is an ectomorph. hmm

I have found the one rep max to be pretty accurate, but I have only been training relatively seriously for a couple years, before that I just did curls..

No, wish I were.  I've studied a lot and flipped through muscle mags to get tips.  Now I have switched gears to get ACSM certified.  The hardest part for me is the diet and consuming so much protein.  Your body can only handle so much protein and processing it through your body could really damage the kidneys.  However, eating enough protein, roughly 1-1.5 grams of protein per body weight will help increase your size and strength.  It is pretty accurate, though I haven't done a 1 rep max in years.  The trick is to lift a weight that you know you can lift multiple times (for me 225lbs).  I could only do 8 reps and then increased to 12.  I kept pushing myself to do more and more.  My goal is to eventually be able to do it 50 times.  Though I haven't been lifting as hard.  I probably could lift 225lbs maybe 12 reps, because the summer is coming and I've switched to a more lean look.  If you have any questions about lifting, please let me know and I'll gladly help.

Do you think its better to consume 1.0 or 1.5? I am thinking about going up to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Normally, I get about 1.0-1.1 roughly.

1.5 is definitely fine.  Most bodybuilders are taking between 2.0-4.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight.  You definitely to say the least should take your weight in protein to get the results that you want.  I'll stay on the slim side and take at least my body weight in protein.

Also becareful of what kinds of protein you take.  You can honestly stick with just the GNC brands because if you compair ingredients, they are typically the same.  Also don't mix your protein with anything but water because that will have the least amount of fat possible.  This will give you the most protein and the fewest fat calories.  Be mindful of your caloric intake and your caloric expenditure.

I also like to use an "N.O." supplement to help with physical demands of lifting to give me an edge.  Stick with 1.5 grams, take an N.O supplement, and if you're into creatine...definitely take Kre-Alkyine.  "KA" is a 100% absorbable creatine pill that doesn't cause your body to retain water weight.  And if your really serious...possibly think about taking a horomone supplement like P6 (made by cellulor).  These are extremely good products.

Alright, then I will try 1.5 per grams of bodyweight. 4.0 sounds like the extreme. I know some bodybuilders that weigh 250 lbs may need that, but even theN that is a lot of taxing on body.

I get whey protein & the type of protein that comes from milk. (casein?) Never tried N.O. but I heard about it before. From what I heard, its pretty good.

I'm not sure if cranberry juice is ever mentioned (cant find info on it) but I drink it, and it seems to revitalize me. Cranberry juice does not have any fat/protein, but has a lot of calories and carbs.

For some reason, cranberry juice + steak helps. Carbs help protein right?

Juice is good, but also has a lot of sugar.  Sugar=empty calories.  You want to stay away from empty calories.  If you really enjoy taking it, take it in the morning because your body is better equipped to handle more calories and can be burned off throughout the day.  Try taking it with just water.  Casein protein is good...from my understanding is, is that casein is best when taken at night.  Casein protein is supposed to help your muscles by being more time sensitive during the rebuilding phase while you sleep.  If you can take casein protein about an hour before going to bed to get the full effects.  Whey protein is great too.  Any protein that has minimal number of calories, sugar, and carbs is excellent.  The goal is to gain muscle.  Even though protein and carbs do have the same number of calories per gram (4 calories).  It's best to limit the number of carbs.  Your body works just like a car.  The better the nutrition, the better you run. 

Carbs give you energy.  Carbs are broken into glucose (sugar) which gives you energy.  This is your body's number 1 fuel source.  The second is protein.  Fat has 9 calories per gram.  Limiting fat and carbs will help you lean up and more protein will be used to repair muscle and gain size.

I have heard about sugar and empty calories, but does that mean if I drink 240 calories of juice I am not really getting anything?

Yeah, I heard milk is good to drink before bed as well.  I usually drink it right when i get up, then before I go to bed. Sometimes I drink whey when I get up though.

As for sugar, I don't think I really get that much. If any, its from cranberry juice. 

I often eat steak, chicken breasts, macaroni and cheese and chicken nuggets as whole food. There were these chicken fingers that had a lot of fat, but the chicken breasts seemed to have a ton of protein and low fat. I am going to stick with the chicken breasts.Most of my food sources come from dairy and meat.

But carbs are still important right? I hear various things about carbs. They say if your trying to bulk carbs are needed to help protein synthesis right.

2. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 13 years ago

Good analogy lol. Ahh yes, V8, I forgot about that. I was drinking that for a while. Perhaps that would be a better choice rather than drinking cranberry juice?

I believe I need 3000 calories according to weight gain calculators. 2500 is likely maintenance for me.

The only thing I always wondered is if daily requirements cover 12 hours or 16 hours. I get up early for college, and later other days.

Thanks for the information, looking forward to your hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)