jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Pagan and Christian Happy Holiday...

1. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago

Could I combine a wish for a happy holiday for both pagans and Christians who celebrate this day. The day had its roots in paganism, so I'm assuming that pagans still celebrate the day.

Have a very good day and may it be whatever you want it to be.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

The Pagan holiday of Yule, from which many Christmas details were taken, is celebrated on the winter solstice.  That date varies depending on the astronomical shortest day of the year, but it takes place between the 20th and 23rd of December.

1. 0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for letting me know. I wasn't sure. So if Christmas has its roots in pagan holidays, why don't pagans celebrate it anymore?

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Paganism is an umbrella term that covers a wide range of spiritual belief systems, so there are no answers that are going to definitively cover all possible facets.  To presume that there is only one form of Paganism in the world is just as much of a misperception as presuming that there is only one form of Christianity, or Buddhism, or Judaism, or Hinduism, etc.

If you actually went out and met and interacted with a lot of Pagans, you'd probably find everything that ranged from Pagans who do celebrate secular Christmas to Pagans who find the idea of observing a holiday that was invented to override and obliterate native religious traditions highly-offensive, from people who've never celebrated it because it was never part of their cultural heritage or family traditions to people who decided it looked like fun and they wanted to see what it was like, or more sadly, people who practice it so that their intolerant neighbors or community won't notice that they are some religion that doesn't celebrate Christmas.

4. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 4 years ago

I have always felt that we should take the whole month of December off to celebrate!  big_smile  and just call it December-fest.   I like the idea of the festival of lights - celebrating the return of more sunshine.  I don't like to attach my belief in benevolence to any humans - Jesus or any of them - somehow I feel it will benefit humans to pay more attention to all the rest of life and how all life deserves to be celebrated - not just us!  So Peace and Joy and Light and Love to all of you, no matter how you celebrate, be safe and content and appreciating the beauty that is everywhere!

1. 0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I like that!!!