jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Best Writers are Those Who Have Not Attained Fame and Fortune

1. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image85
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 22 months ago

In my Profile on HubPages I emphasize a statement "The Best Writers of Our Time are Those Individuals Who Have Not Attained Fame and Fortune". Do you agree? Is the statement too general? Elaborate on why you think so.

1. lions44 profile image93
      lions44posted 22 months ago in reply to this

How would we really know?  Fortunately, today writers have so many more platforms to publish so we can enjoy the work of authors who might not have ever had a chance at all.

2. LongTimeMother profile image98
      LongTimeMotherposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Are you suggesting that JK Rowling and other successful authors are not among the best writers of our time? Personally I think JK deserves her fame and fortune.

2. jo miller profile image85
    jo millerposted 22 months ago

Writers of literary fiction usually do not receive as much 'fame and fortune' as those who write popular fiction.  That's why many of these writers must have other employment, like teaching in a university. 

One of my favorite writers of literary fiction was Larry Brown of Oxford, Mississippi.  He never received much financial success but was critically acclaimed.  Compare him with John Grisham, another Oxford writer. 

Some writers, I believe, would prefer the critical acclaim.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 22 months ago

If "best" means "most popular" it is a tautology. If not, well, some definition would help. Some of my favorite authors are not best sellers.

4. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 22 months ago

How can you even define 'best'?  All of us ultimately read what we enjoy and then give that author accolades and say they are a good/best/excellent writer.

Personally I find a lot of literary fiction as dull as ditch water and much prefer reading popular fiction but that's just my taste in books.

Some of the best laughs I have ever had though have been reading the literary critics reviews of '50 Shades of Gray'.  Talk about spewing vitriol and bile!  They totally trashed the book but eventually couldn't get away from the fact that millions had bought it, so the author had obviously done something right.

I feel there is too much snobbery around fiction.  Reading is entertainment after, so it comes down to whatever floats your boat whether that is the Illiad in the original Greek or a Jilly Cooper romance

5. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image85
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 22 months ago

What I should do is make a slight change. There are some famous authors who are great. Some of the best writers are those who have not attained fame and fortune. Feel free to write your opinion.

6. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 21 months ago

I don't know if there is a" best " anymore .  But there is a thing called raw talent , I have seen it in many places  including here .  I believe writing is a  life journey and like life itself we write almost exclusively about  our own experiences in life .  The "best writer" to me , is the one that draws you into the story like you're right there all along . Be that story  a poem , a book ,  a news article , or an info  hub for that matter .

1. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image85
      J - R - Fr13m9nposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Your answer is very insightful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

7. clivewilliams profile image80
    clivewilliamsposted 21 months ago

You must have something about you as a writer to obtain fame and fortune, publicity and marketing is good, but that is all driven by talent. The arrow spins both ways to me. There are authors who are magnificent like my friend billybuc and frankantacio, but are not famous or diving in fortune. Sometimes it is just arriving at the right place at the right time, meeting the right people.