jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

gender difference

1. 61
    rialeeposted 6 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I am wondering if men and women write differently ? Men and women are supposed to think differently so I was thinking they must write differently too. Is the emphasis on different parts of the story? Do men put as much emphasis on describing emotions when they are writing fiction?
    Do men depict males as using more cursing to display anger?
    I am curious because when I had a critical friend for Uni assignments they seemed to pick up different errors. I want to appeal to both males and females and not write so "girly" if you know what I mean.
    Food for thought during a break in serious writing.

1. SEO IT! profile image84
      SEO IT!posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Women tend to use the passive voice more often and delve deeper into the emotional aspects when developing characters. Those are just a couple of things I've noticed and they aren't necessarily "rules".

2. thekidandblue profile image60
    thekidandblueposted 6 years ago

Many women wrote under pseudonyms and no one knew so I think it's down to the individual authur.

1. 61
      rialeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes but so did men often use female pseudonyms so other men would not know they were writers. Can people tell and can emotions be pervade correctly in writing?

3. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 6 years ago

Yes, they write differently. Sometimes the attitudes displayed by characters make me stop and check which sex the author is because I catch myself thinking, "A man must have written this" or "Only a woman would write that."