jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Be Prepared

1. 61
    shoemakejrposted 6 years ago

I just had a slice of humble pie and I can tell you, it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.  No matter what style of writing you do or specialize in, every so often an opportunity comes by that will potentially open a door to things you may have never considered.

Recently, I was invited to come and be one of three writers being considered for a teaching position at a film school...a working film school.  I have written scripts in the past, have even written a play.  The problem was that it had been several years since I had done that. When I got to the school, the owner new immediately by my formatting that I was not a professional screen writer. In my defense, I told her this prior to my coming and she invited me anyway.

Morale of the story is simple, if you have a skill set that you only use rarely, use it a bit more often to sharpen it or don't accept offers to do something you are really not sure about.  Personally, I will be sharpening my skills in that field because a door has now been opened and I may get another shot.  Next time I will be better prepared.

Too often as writers, we just write and do little prep work.  I am for that to the point that writing is the prep work.  You wouldn't do a book review without first reading a book, right?  Writing in and of itself is preparation.  Never be afraid to put in a little extra work to make sure your project - whatever it may be - is the very best it can be.  Good writing, hope to see you at the publishers desk.

1. goldenpath profile image80
      goldenpathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Great story!  Those kinds of things give the rest of us hope that there are legitimate people out there who are watching with interest.

Also, a monumentally important morale you have brought to light! smile

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Yes, hindsight is 20/20. lol

1. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Any lesson  learned  is worth its weight in gold, we just learn from the past mistakes and move on. I Like your spirit, keep sharpening the tools!
      Wish you the very best!