Why isn't poetry popular?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. WindMaestro profile image58
    WindMaestroposted 12 years ago

Why isn't poetry popular?

The only thing I really do on hubpages is write poetry. I mean, I am going to expand my topic area, but it disappoints me how unpopular poetry is. Is there a way for me to increase my traffic to my poem hubs?

2. Hyphenbird profile image80
    Hyphenbirdposted 12 years ago

I don't really know how to increase traffic except perhaps use only the poetry forum and no subcategories.
    Poetry is often not understood so many people won't read it. And it is so often poorly written. I love poetry and write poetry so I know this well. grammar is often twisted and broken just to make a rhyme and sometimes the spelling is just awful. I have heard many people say as long as it is written from the heart, it is wonderful. This is not true. Poetry like any other genre must follow the rules of literature. Because thousands write without knowing how to write people shy away from it.

3. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

I am also a poet! I use Twitter to gain more viewers, or simply answer more questions on here... if people like your response they follow you! Also, Post a forum that's directed toward poets and poetry.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I agree, for some reason poetry is unpopular.  Such a shame.  I love reading others poetry, it is usually short, an easy read, and evokes some strong emotion. 

I have a lot of poetry on here yet one of my articles on finance gets so much traffic, and I have no idea why.  There are poetry websites out there to post poetry on.  You can research on Google.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 12 years ago

I would argue that poetry is very popular among writers. The writing group that I attend on a monthly basis is comprised mostly of poets and every college writing course I took seemed to be overflowing with poetry (they were not poetry classes). Having said that, there is an explanation about why your poems are performing poorly on HubPages. The articles posted here are meant to be sent out into the internet and found by the random web surfer. So, when a user types in "how do I change a car tire" there is a chance that hubs will be on that list. But unfortunately, that's exactly why you're not getting traffic. When your hub answers a common question, people will find it easily, but a poem doesn't answer a question, nor does it necessarily focus on a popular subject. It's true of all forms of fiction on HubPages; people just don't know what to search for that would find your work. If they did a generic search for 'poetry' chances are you wouldn't even be on the search list because of how much else there is out there.

So if you want to get more traffic there are two options for you; the first is that you could include other, more search friendly things with your poem. For example, if you posted a famous poem by a recognizable poet as part of the hub, then explained that it was an inspiration for your other poem which is posted below it, you'll likely get more traffic. Though in that instance you might run into the duplicate tag, which is a real pain in the butt. The second option is networking. Find websites, forums and social groups online for poets and then post links to your poems on hubpages. When you seek out a group of writers and participate, they will return the favor. That option won't result in high traffic returns, but it will help with general feedback.

6. MichaelStonehill profile image60
    MichaelStonehillposted 12 years ago

Actually writing poetry is very popular. However, reading good poetry is indeed less popular, since it takes more than a minute to listen to other persons souls.

7. ProFreelance profile image41
    ProFreelanceposted 12 years ago

Poetry used to be very popular. People would gather from miles around to listen to a poet speak, or to hear an orator recite a poet's work. It was an evocative, dramatic, social experience. Each poem was a capsule of life, carefully crafted for maximum emotional effect. Children would quote them in school. Lovers would quote them in romance. It was quite a thing to know all the words to one of the popular poems of the day.

I first learned the answer to your question in fourth grade, when I opened my brand new reader and the first selected poem was "The Sound of Silence," written by Paul Simon. In written form, it was beautiful, as a poem should be. And then it occurred to me. The poetry concerts had become music concerts, and modern poetry was now played on the radio.

Poetry is still popular, in a way. Children and lovers still quote it often, and people still consider it an accomplishment to know all the words to it. But the part that pulls the heartstrings now seems to be attached to the tune that goes with the poem. I wonder if it might help traffic to expand into the poetry we find in music today.

8. seicheprey profile image61
    seichepreyposted 12 years ago

I think that the extremely subjective nature of poetry makes it difficult, as does the wide variety of forms.  Some people love classical poems, other prefer free verse, some enjoy the Beat poets and others just vomit at the whole concept.

9. thecoffeewrite profile image70
    thecoffeewriteposted 12 years ago

I think poetry is unpopular because its an art. In this day and age anything artsy and requires reading and thinking is not popular. Poetry is not a pop culture favorite. Now perhaps if one begins developing poetry on the subject of something popular who knows what would come of that.

10. Thadrok profile image60
    Thadrokposted 12 years ago

I don't think people generally get on their computer to search for poetry. Unless you target it more specifically like - original valentine's day poetry, poetry for greeting cards, men can write love poems too, christmas card poetry... Somehow make it useful for the typical user to find and read. Also, consider the SEO aspect of a typical poem. I haven't looked at your hubs but I'm guessing your hub titles are the titles of your poem, right? How often does that set of words get searched for - probably zero.

That's my guess as to why poetry is relatively unpopular as far as internet searches go. Which is after all how HubPages gets most of its traffic.

I don't consider HubPages an outlet for creativity in that sense. Hubs get found because they're written on a topic that is searched for by a large number of people. If you want a creative outlet with more readers consider a writer's forum or creative writing blog or something like that.

Best wishes! Keep on writing!

11. gg.zaino profile image73
    gg.zainoposted 11 years ago

Why not so many? 
    Easy;Too many non intellectuals
    The question is,; where are the minds that can think?-
    and there are far too few men and women of true sight-
    True poetry is only for the wise and those who are willing
    to listen ito ts wisdom passed down from the greatness .
      Let the  eyes and ears of the wise truly listen to he mind of the Universe.....
    there is only poetry!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)