*Throws up hands, head hits desk* I don't get it.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. hecate-horus profile image62
    hecate-horusposted 12 years ago

I do my best to write interesting hubs that people will read.  Obviously, I keep failing miserably.  I spend hours on here, reading all the tutorials, advice, editing my hubs, doing backlinks, etc,etc,etc. 

I guess I just suck.  That's all.

Sorry, it's a pity party and you are all invited. smile 

Really, all I want is some constructive criticism so I can improve.  I think I'm writing awesome hubs, but NOBODY is commenting on them, so I'm think, well, I guess I'm overestimating my awesome factor.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you posted in the Extreme Hub Makeover to ask for advice?

2. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With a score in the 90's you can't be doing too badly.

All the best :-)

3. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The first thing I noticed when I looked at a sampling of your hubs is that you take on some pretty high traffic topics.  One year to eighteen months would be a good bet as to when you'd see any sort of steady traffic on such high traffic, evergreen content.  Patience.  (I'm in the same boat).

2. hecate-horus profile image62

Uninvited writer:  No, I haven't, but it sounds like just the thing I need.  Thank you! smile

3. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

I just read your profile and perused a few of your hubs and I must say;your writing is better than mine,your subject matter is quite engaging,and your work is just fine[always improve however].You've been a member for a short time and have done well in terms of followers,hub,and author score.Perhaps your being a bit impatient.Push it all from your mind and enjoy writing,your doing very well...relax and give it time.

4. hecate-horus profile image62

Thank you, Cheaptrick.  I appreciate the feedback.   I guess I'm frustrated because I put so much time into most of these hubs, and get no feedback.  It makes me wonder.    But, you're right, I should relax a bit.  Thanks smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You think you're having problems?  I've reached high traffic and satisfactory earnings here and now I'm back where I started from over 2 years ago.  There is no certainty of success nor any guarantee it will continue if you do achieve it here.  Good luck anyway, though!  smile

5. GoodLady profile image90
    GoodLadyposted 12 years ago

I just read and commented on your 'Only child' Hub to support you.  I think you are a great Hub writer with lots of ideas and writings. 
    I spent time reading all the hub nugget hubs this week, so that more or less took care of reading and writing comments for a day or two.

6. Pamela N Red profile image83
    Pamela N Redposted 12 years ago

It takes time here and many articles. Try marketing outside of HubPages like Twitter and other blogging social networking sites like Triberr(dot)com. You'll get there. The best thing is to just keep working at it, write, edit and let it simmer. It's not an overnight money maker but in time you will.

7. Julie Nice profile image60
    Julie Niceposted 12 years ago

I like what all your fellow writers had written and encouraged you with!  I probably will be in the same boat as I am just about to start for the first time myself.  It is good to know what to expect and to keep my chin up! You see, I have this "incurable disease" called: HOPE.  I hope this will do well for you as well and will check out your articles!  Take care!

8. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

So seeing your plight, I thought I'd hop over and check out a hub or two.

First off, your writing is great, you have style, voice and you kno whut grammer iz.

My suggestions are these:

1. If you want readers and comments from HP, then you have to spend time in the forums, be chatty, go read people's stuff, leave comments, etc., and, miracle of miracles, you'll reap what you sow.

2. If you want readers who are genuinely engaged in your stuff,you might consider a blog for some of the things you write. You can use the traffic you get from your one-off hubs and commercial hubs to help you find readers who might check out your blog, who will then like your "brand" as a writer on an ongoing basis (subscribe) or not.  You can do that on HP, get a following, but what I have found is that to develop a readership here based on a particular style (brand), you have to be consistent in that brand. And if you deviate from that brand (say, for random example, from a Drunkard Blowhard brand to Didactic Grammarian brand or to a Prudent Product Reviewer brand), you jeopardize the readership of the first brand by betraying expectations. People follow Brand A because they like Brand A, but if the next thing you write is Brand B, if that's not what they're into, well, then they wonder if Brand A was a brand at all, and, well, then you're on the road to losing them.

So, in short (as if I have ever written anything "in short" ever), if you are trying to build a following for your style and voice (of which you have plenty), that would do well on Blogger or even your own site. If you want to get reads from the HP community, which is NOT really a reading community if you think about it--it's a writing community that has a handful of people who read--then you have to become part of that community to whatever extent you desire and have the time to invest.

Or perhaps strike some sort of balance of the two.

That's my two rather long-winded cents based on my experience. Good luck.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True dat.
      You can take it from Mssr. Shadesbreath, who has truly mastered the Drunkard Blowhard (but oh so funny, clever, witty and insightful in a jaded sudsy kinda way) brand.
      Or you can take it from me, who represents the Anti-Drunkard, but equally blowhard (in a maternally angry kinda way) brand.
      Either way, the advice is the same:
      Keep at it.
      It takes patience.
      Good luck and thanks for sharing your concerns with the Hubber Nation.
      MM
      smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)