Ben Zoltak profile image 79

Home made indoor garden do you make it?

I've heard it's not a good idea to take soil from outside and bring it in the house, but most of the indoor soil in my area comes with petroleum made fertilizers, I would like to make my own organic, with our kitchen compost and soil from outside, maybe with some fireplace ash too...but I don't want to bring in any of the outdoor pests. Does anyone know how to do this? Should I wait until it's drops below freezing then try to stir up a mix?

The Dirt Farmer profile image96

Jill (The Dirt Farmer) says

Barbara Kay profile image85

Barbara Kay Badder (Barbara Kay) says

• Patty Inglish, MS profile image

Patty Inglish (Patty Inglish, MS) 4 years ago

I heard the same thing - bake at 200 degrees F for an hour. You can check with a garden center and see if they know if that mtie is correct. Sounds short.

Dr. Haddox profile image73

Dr Freddie Haddox (Dr. Haddox) says

• Ben Zoltak profile image

Ben Zoltak 4 years ago

Interesting. I've thought about just bringing in soil, one time years ago, I did that and somehow brought in some of those spider mite things and they killed a bunch of my plants. Still, I like the idea of baking it in the sun, covered or uncovered?