So... What Do I Do Now?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (53 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

The last few weeks have been a struggle for my household, to say the least, but today... Today made it a thousand times worse.

The IRS is coming after my roommate for $2600.00, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a fortune to us, especially since the government is garnishing his ENTIRE paycheck until it is paid off. That's THREE paychecks my roommate won't even see.

The government doesn't seem to care that his paychecks are the only reliable source of income we have and that there is a 15 year old boy here. What are we going to do for food, water, rent, etc? We have a total of 87 cents put together.

I don't have a job. It seems nearly impossible to find a job. I'm lucky if I can get an extra $10.00 a month babysitting the neighbor's kids.

Rent is due tomorrow. April 1st. How we hate that date! See, after April 1st in Iowa means they can kick our butts out, whether we have kids in the house or not.

I've also been feeling pretty depressed lately as it is, but this news takes the cake.

So... what do I do now? I don't have the money to stay here. I don't have the money to go anywhere else. There aren't even any women's shelters around here!

Anyway, I don't know the point of this thread really. If I suddenly disappear, it's because we couldn't pay the internet bill. If I do get to stay, I probably became a prostitute or something. lol

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's horrific! You should be able to negotiate with the IRS, you need to speak with someone and explain the situation.

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think they should be able to negotiate to I don't think the IRS can take your entire check, I had a friend who went through that and $2600.00 isn't to much. smile

1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's the IRS? Sounds very nasty ?I'm sure she got the information wrong !

It is the Internal Revenue Service here in the United States a wonderful place where many of us hard working citizens have to pay into because we do not get any tax cuts. sad

OH ! and they can take all your checks and leave you  on the streets ? yikes

No, they can take a portion but normally you can get it resolved $2600.00 is fairly low I have seen them wait to the following year when a person files there taxes and IF the person is due a refund they take it and apply it toward the amount owed. If a person has not filed taxes for a few years is when they like to chase people for the money. I only know this because a friend of mine experienced it when she was unemployed due to health reasons. They took I believe it was 15% and when she went down and spoke to them directly they worked something out. smile

Well. I hope she comes here and post an explanation ,then. I'm sure she sorted things out! she was posting on FB yesterday, and nothing was said about this problem ! big_smile

Who? I hope she posts to I also offered to help her since my family is very well known back there, I can't stand to see people struggle, I know we have had our own struggles. sad

2. profile image0
                    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We got everything sorted out. Right now, we are just looking for an extra source of income.

3. profile image0

We got everything sorted out. Right now, we are just looking for an extra source of income.

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Oh Pani. I'm so sorry to hear about this.

I don't see how it can possibly be legal for them to garnish his entire pay check...is there Legal Aid in your area?

I'm thinking about this...maybe I'll come up with a good answer for you.

1. profile image0

I don't know if there is Legal Aid around here or not. Even if there is, there's no way we could afford it.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Around here, there's an organization called Legal Aid, they work pro bono...that's what I meant...

1. profile image0

Oh. I don't think there are any organizations around here like that. We've been looking everywhere for somehow to make just enough money to at least pay rent and buy groceries for six weeks, but it doesn't seem like there are any options out there.

I even went to donate blood plasma today. I was deferred for the day because my pulse was 101, only 1 point higher than it was supposed to be. I tried to convince them it was just because of stress and could they please take it again in a few minutes, let me calm down. I was 100% sure my pulse would lower if I just went into the waiting room and did my breathing exercises for a few minutes, but they said it was against protocol and I was turned away. I'm welcome to try again tomorrow though. Too bad we used the last of our gas to get to the donation center and my roommate doesn't qualify to donate blood plasma.

3. west40 profile image61
    west40posted 14 years ago

Try a call to your State Attorney General or Your State Senator - they may be able to help - they can at least point you to someone who can.

1. profile image0

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks.

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tenant Eviction Laws in Iowa

Paragraph 2

Failure to Pay Rent
        If the landlord has not received rent by the date rent is due, the landlord must send the tenant a notice and wait three days, pursuant to Iowa statute. The notice must indicate to the tenant that the rental agreement will be terminated if rent is not paid within the three days. Once the three days go by, the landlord may file a lawsuit to remove the tenant from the property. The tenant will have an opportunity in court to show that the landlord did not comply with the rental agreement or that the rent was less than one month behind and has been paid up. These could serve as legitimate defenses.

4. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

If you don't mind me asking, where in Iowa are you?  My future SIL just moved to Des Moines and got a job immediately.

Iowa Legal Aid  http://www.iowalegalaid.org/ia/homepage.html

Just a google search away smile

1. profile image0

Too small of a town to say where I live, exactly, but there are not any jobs available here, except for a waitress job at the bar, but I cannot be in that type of environment.

1. KeithTax profile image72
        KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Email me via HubPages. I'll have you email or fax your information so we can have your account deemed uncollectable.

I will not respond until I get into the office tomorrow, so don't worry if I don't respond tonight.

Understand, there is no guarantee. The IRS should reduce the amount they take, but may not deem it entirely uncollectable.

If you want a head start, go to my website:

www.taxprepusa.net

and fax your material to me. I'll need a signed Power of Attorney, which I will prepare. Faxed signitures are OK for POA.

As for my fee: This one is on me.

1. habee profile image91
          habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keith, you and the other hubbers here are unbelievable! My faith in mankind has received a tremendous boost. Thank you!!

5. Faybe Bay profile image64
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago
  6. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Have you tried a conversation with your landlord yet? People can surprise you..offer to work on the property or on other properties he or she may own.

Has your roommate considered chatting with his employer about whether he HAS to be on the books? No Job, No IRS check. Cash is nice.

By the way, the IRS WILL do payment plans...the introductory letter sent to your roommate informing him that his entire check was to be taken has all the info needed to lessen your monthly payment considerably. I know this to be true as my roommate received a similar letter.

7. profile image0

Thanks, everyone. Checking out the sites you provided now, then going to log off for a bit because I've got a headache. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

@Faybe about your email: The IRS is coming after my roommate for LAST year's taxes. He already tried filing an extension, but is prohibited by law to do so.

8. luvpassion profile image61
    luvpassionposted 14 years ago

Pani You could also try HUD they have rental and utilities programs for people without jobs and children.

I so hope everything works out.

Teri

9. profile image0

We managed to get hold of a pro bono tax attorney. I was, in fact, correct about it being illegal for them to garnish an entire paycheck when there is a minor living in the house. The IRS is now only going to garnish half his paycheck. While it's not ideal, we will survive and I just wanted to thank everyone so much for all your suggestions and advice!

10. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Awesome...losing half the income sucks..but all of it and the roof over your head would have been way worse.

Im happy to hear you got better  news

11. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

I'm glad things are looking up for you Pani. Your first post sounded devastating. Hopefully you guys will find some extra income to make up the loss.

12. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

It is just not natural Justice for the IRS or anyone else to gArnishee your entire salery. Sre they may be able to garnashee a certain amount.  Better still ring them and offer to pat say $10 per week or follow other advice posted here...

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Pani, I was taken back by your predicament. I am so glad hubbers here offered to help.
    Keep the love going Pani, through these hard times it may not be easy. I hope you find some extra income soon.

1. profile image0

Thanks, everyone. I'm working on finding some extra income now. That's why I've been so quiet lately. Working around the clock to find a job or at least get a little work so we can live a decent life.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

More power to you Pani! Do you have any major interests you could make money from? smile

1. profile image0

Well, I've been trying to get a business grant for quite some time to start my own business, all natural perfumes and cosmetics. Not having any luck with that yet, I just don't understand it.

Either that or start an in home day care, but that would require even more money, as I'd have to get new cupboards in the kitchen, repaint, and fix up the enclosed porch.

That's lousy, about the business grant I mean.

Can you grow a crop of anything where you are? smile I mean vegetables, fruit, spices?

1. profile image0

Nope, I live in an apartment.

It'd be great if someone knew how to write a business grant proposal and could help me make sense of it.

Tough call on the veggies. All the online ways of making money that I know take time.

You can make good money on ebay if you learn all the ropes, but you can't afford to risk money learning.
                Finding the time to learn is another hard bit.
                I will continue to think about it Pani. smile

1. profile image0

I would appreciate any help I could get. Thank you, earnest smile

14. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Pani, I have read the entire thread and have so many family members who reside in Iowa. What part of Iowa are you in? I have Aunts and Uncles who are pretty high up in there companies what type of experience do you have? Most small towns in Iowa have very large cities that are very close to them and there are many places to find a job. Have you tried Hyvee's? Wal-mart? CVS? I know based on your resume' that Iowa also has positions that need to be filled in the State as well as the electric company and the water company in some of the major cities that are close to the small towns. If you are on the border of Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota those jobs are within distance and they also have call centers that are always hiring.
    Our family is quite large and well known in many parts of Iowa so if you are looking for work I can possibly assist you.

I have so much history there it is almost like being a Kennedy! lololo big_smile

LOL AEvans ! Kennedys ! wow !

I'm sure she will appreciate your help.
      Maybe she didn't look hard enough ! big_smile

I wish I would have known but just ran across this thread I am always willing to help someone when they are in need especially when they are having such a hard time. Yes, unfortunately our family is like the Kennedy's back there and everyone knows who they are which is sometimes a pain in the batooty, but other times it is a blessing. smile

I hope she sees this thread then ! Or maybe it's too late. Maybe she's on the streets by now sad

That would be so sad sad I believe in Iowa they have to give them time to move they just don't boot them out. In a lot of those small towns in Iowa the landlords are pretty laid back, I know my Uncle owns quite a few places in his small town, he is so understanding and cordial. He understands when people are struggling 99.9% of true Iowans are always there for others and are some of the kindest, hard-working people in our Country. smile

Well. Maybe she got the wrong impression. Maybe she's ok ! that's why we don't have any news ! She was posting on FB yesterday.  big_smile

15. Urbane Chaos profile image89
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

I know, I'm probably late in replying.. But hell, deal with it. big_smile

1. Nobody can garnish an entire paycheck.  There are laws against that - if they try, you can sue them.  I believe the limit is 25% of net income, after taxes, before benefits.

2. Low income families that receive unemployment are typically exempt from garnishment.  If you're on unemployment, you're safe.  If you're not on it and you are able to work, try to apply.  It's not much, but it will help.

3. There are a lot of government assistance programs out there.  Find out about them.  I had a friend that wasn't able to work due to a medical issue (nothing major, but enough).  She received food stamps plus social security benefits until she could return to work.  She also lived in an income based apartment (income was her S.S. check) and survived quite nicely.  Go to your local chamber of commerce and they'll tell you where to go for all of that.

4. There is a ton of free or low cost legal help out there as well.  Call your local bar association and they'll be able to direct you where to go.

and finally,

5. quit wining and go do something.  I mean it.  When you stop feeling sorry for yourself and start looking for solutions, you'll be a lot better off.  I promise.

Either way, if you come back and see this - I wish you the best.. If not, well, maybe it'll help someone else.

16. profile image0

Thanks again for all the help, everyone. We already got it sorted out. They are now only garnishing half his paycheck. I am currently looking for an extra source of income, which is why I have been so quiet lately.

I really wasn't expecting this many replies on this thread. I was merely trying to explain why my internet will probably be shut off soon. Thanks again.

They IRS can't garnish half of a person's check they can only garnish 25% what part of Iowa are you in? You don't have to give your actual city but you could give one next door if necessary since you are looking for a second income I could seriously possibly assist.smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too, I have several relatives in Iowa, one is the Mayor of a teeny little city smile

2. profile image0

I really do not feel comfortable posting where I actually live or anywhere that is nearby. I really appreciate your offers of help, but this thread was more of a way to let people know what's going on, not to ask for favors.

If you must have a reason why I will go no further than what state I am in, it is simply because I am in hiding. Not official hiding, but hiding from people in my past who seek to destroy me. If that sounds paranoid, that is because I am paranoid. Even my FB account has a fake city and zip code on it.

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
          Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you have a car, this was suggested to me. Make posters with little tabs, it can be e-mail if you don't want to use phone number, offering to run errands or take people to appointments. Dog walking is a good side line also, if you don't have a car you can use.

2. AEvans profile image71

Thank you for letting me know , sad situation you are in but I  Understand wish you all of the best. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)