September 11

1. marwan asmar profile image78
    marwan asmarposted 4 years ago

September 11 may have changed America's attitudes to the world. How and in what way did it personally change your perceptions to the world and your view of other cultures

1. phion profile image60
      phionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I was sitting in my homeroom class during my junior year of high school. Everything just stopped as we watched with horror on a tv the events unfold. A year and a half later I was headed to boot camp to become an Infantryman.

The events made me realize that people hate whole cultures for unjustified reasons.  I wanted to make a difference, and interact with the local people of Iraq and Afghanistan to show them that we are not all the bad people they may be led to believe. I made many great and lasting friendships with many Muslims. Many of whom have died, but I still have contact with several of them.

I think September 11, 2001 served as a wakeup call, a wakeup call that we must pay attention to the rest of the world. I feel sorry for the children that are raised to hate people they may never meet. I know most followers of Islam are peaceful and humble humans, that just want to survive like any of us, but I wish that this majority would stand up against the blind hate that seems to have put down such deep roots among them.

After seeing the current events unfolding in the Middle East, sadly I’m not left with much optimism. From the surface it seems Muslims will never be satisfied as long as Jews and Christians exist. The saddest thing the last 11 years has all but proven without a shadow of a doubt, is that peace is not in our future.

2. Angela Blair profile image87
    Angela Blairposted 4 years ago

I was a very small child during WWII and therefore realized early on that war could come to American shores as well as anywhere else in the world. As years passed I became more comfortable with our way of life and peace and put aside my fear of being attacked on American soil -- wrong! Although dwelling on being attacked on our home grounds would be unhealthy; I've reassessed my thinking after 9/11 and am once again very aware that like the rest of this unstable world America is vulnerable to attack.