Homosexual adoption

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Moshka profile image61
    Moshkaposted 9 years ago

Do you believe that a child is better off being reared by gay parents or should straight parents take precedence?

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The title of your post implied that we could now adopt homosexuals..........

Homosexuals are people, there are good and bad people, good people should be allowed to adopt no matter what their race, colour, sexual orientation or religious belief's (or lack of them) are.
      The hard part of course is determining who are the good people!

2. maxoxam41 profile image64
      maxoxam41posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The alliance of women with men gave birth to homosexuals in what way the alliance of two homosexual will promote homosexuality? Being VERY liberal, if two men are better parents than of different sexes, why not?

3. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Greetings, Moshka. It is nice to meet you. I am looking forward to your second hub. Will it be soon?

“Children of same-sex parents do as well as children whose parents are heterosexual in every way,"  reports noted pediatrician Ellen Perrin, MD, professor of pediatrics at Tufts-New England Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts. "In some ways, children of same-sex parents actually may have advantages over other family structures." {1}

This was the conclusion that Dr. Perrin presented at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition after selecting 15 solid, evidence-based studies for review. She and her team analyzed possible stigma, teasing, social isolation, adjustment, sexual orientation and strengths. The results were clinically the same for cases with two heterosexual parents as with same sex parents. No differences were found in the prevalence of psychiatric disorders, intelligence, self-esteem, peer relationships, well-being, or gender identity.

"The children all had a similar emotional experiences with divorce," she said.

Among the interesting departures from the general population, children raised by lesbian parents had more contact with their natural fathers then did children raised in a new blended family by their heterosexual mothers after a divorce. In addition, lesbian couples displayed a greater tendency to share household and child care tasks more evenly.

Dr. Perrin said, "The children of lesbian couples also appeared to be less aggressive, more nurturing to peers, more tolerant of diversity, and more androgynous."

A later study from the University of Virginia, Parenting and Child Development in Adoptive Families: Does Parental Sexual Orientation Matter?, reached similar conclusions. They found positive outcomes for parents and children in adoptive families were associated more with family processes than with family structure. {2}

The OP statement asks, “Do you believe that a child is better off being reared by gay parents or should straight parents take precedence?” Medical professionals and academics continuously respond in a unified chorus that children do equally as well in both environments.

Thanks for the thread, Moshka. I sincerely hope you enjoy a rainbow after every rainfall.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
      {1} http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/514477#1
      {2} http://people.virginia.edu/~cjp/articles/ffp10b.pdf
      p.14 Conclusion

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"The children of lesbian couples also appeared to be less aggressive, more nurturing to peers, more tolerant of diversity, and more androgynous."  (Dr. Perrin)

Question for discussion: the statement seems to indicate that all children of lesbian show a tendency towards more feminine attributes, presumably including male children.  "less aggressive", "more nurturing to peers" are certainly feminine traits and "more androgynous" could be taken that way as well. 

However much we all applaud these traits, is it a good thing to deprive male children of their birthright of testosterone and all that comes with it?  It would seem that being raised by only women (and one must wonder if the same thing is seen with single Mom's) takes children away from the traditional masculine traits that are built in by evolution.  Is this a good thing or is a part of what has allowed mankind to become what it is?

1. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Way to distort the message.
          Basically all the research shows kids in same sex household do just fine and are not disadvantaged.  But you can take any minor difference and make it scary if that is your agenda.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
            Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I THINK:
            It IS scary to make male children less masculine and female children less feminine! They will not be happy and will always feel the compulsion to feel guilty for being who they really are. They will not feel allowed to express their true qualities, (masculine or feminine) and will suppress them.  Anger will arise on a subconscious level; an anger which they will not be able to work through or resolve, therefore the passivity.
            Perhaps gay parents should only be allowed to rescue orphans of an older age after true sexual-orintation identities are at least formed. The age would depend on the data we have regarding what age sexual orientation and affiliation is complete, as set forth by experts in human development.
            My conclusion:  It is best to work with whatever nature gives us wherever/ whenever possible!

2. Quilligrapher profile image73

The word “all” does not appear in her statement.Howdy Wilderness.

Oops! I think you may have misunderstood a portion of my post. 

By inserting the word “all” into your interpretation of Dr. Perrin's statement, you completely distorted her context and meaning. The children adopted by lesbian parents, just like the children of heterosexual parents, displayed a similar variety of behavior traits across a normal spectrum of intensity, i.e. ranging from slight to greater. However, of the children observed to be less aggressive, more nurturing to peers, more tolerant of diversity, and more androgynous, the study found, more of them had lesbian parents then had heterosexual parents. Your interpretation has led you away from the actual findings.

I also stated in my post, "children raised by lesbian parents had more contact with their natural fathers then did children raised in a new blended family. " Perhaps you missed that part.

There is no evidence in this study that the result of adoption was “to deprive male children of their birthright of testosterone and all that comes with it.” Besides, even if that was the case, who is to say that “the traditional masculine traits that are built in by evolution” could not use some further evolution? Just the same, being raised by a same sex couple or by a single mother has no noticeable affect on masculinity. In the same manner, being raised by a heterosexual couple has no affected on becoming gay.

Your final question might very well make a good discussion. "Is [traditional masculine traits] a part of what has allowed mankind to become what it is? " I have read some very convincing speculation that if more women were heads of state the world might have fewer wars. Do you think that might make an interesting discussion?

I understood it all right, and agree that absolutes are inappropriate.  I did not expect to be called on that, but probably should have, and apologize for the error.  No absolute was intended.  But if a normal spectrum is noted in children of same sex parents, I misunderstood the point being made - I did read it as a lessening of those traits.  Which is what you repeat here, not a normal variation of the traits.

It would indeed make an interesting discussion, for there is more to "masculinity" than war (assuming that the statement that women leaders would result in fewer wars).  Increased competition, as a very strong starter, and competition is much of what has driven our progress for centuries.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73

Wilderness, back atcha!

I did indeed associate testosterone mostly with aggression without thinking about its affect on competitiveness with peers. I agree it would indeed be interesting.

I have just learned, “In men and boys, the right pointer finger is shorter in relation to their right ring finger than it is in girls…Scientists have found that the difference is a clear marker for fetal exposure to testosterone. The higher your testosterone level before birth, the lower your pointer-finger-to-ring-finger ratio.” {1}

Egad! My right pointer finger is longer than my ring finger. Should I see my doctor? lol
              {1} http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wel … osterone-1

I've heard that before, about the fingers.  It IS interesting, too.  Why would a single hormone have that kind of affect on a specific finger?  Odd, isn't it?

Yes, aggression isn't the only thing testosterone produces.  Strength comes from it, and probably other things (vision of moving things, spatial awareness, concentration, etc.) as well - likely many of the differences between male and female abilities.  Are those traits you mentioned earlier as being "lesser" tied at all to a "gift" for mathematics/engineering?  Certainly I don't have an answer to such questions!

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

A child is better off being adopted by any suitable person or couple.

Moshkaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What about your own parents? Would you be okay with it if your father married another man and your mother was out of the picture? Your new mother is now another man. Are you okay with that?

A parent, unless dead, should never be "out of the picture".  Your scenario has produced another parent to love you, that's all, and the insinuation that that is a bad thing is false.

Yes.  If dad came out as gay I would support him. 

Dad's hypothetical lover would be potentially my stepfather, but probably not, because in the real world my Dad's actual girlfriend is just that.  In no way my Mom.

And even if you think the gay and solo parents of the world are suboptimal, institutions are worse.

I agree that Institutions are much worse for anybody. However most people who are going through the adoption process have to wait two to three years on average to adopt. Of course we can not tell who is going to be good and who is going to be bad parents, but lets compare apples to apples.

Assuming that both the gay and straight parents are generally good people, and knowing the time and effort it takes to go through the process of adoption, how do we choose which couple would be the premium option for the benefit of rearing the child? Would you not prefer every child to have both a mother and a father?

You are asking the people of today's society? really? why????

Because I believe that proponents of homosexual adoption are neglecting to account for the detrimental aspect of being raised with both a mother and a father. People say in the name of tolerance that it is okay, however they themselves usually would not give up their own mothers for another man, and yet they wish it on somebody else.

There is a "detrimental aspect of being raised with both a mother and a father"?  Could you be more specific?  The huge majority of people throughout history have had both a mother and a father, without any detrimental aspects I've noticed or heard of.

1. profile image0
                  Onusonusposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Would you have prefered to be raised by another man over your own mother?

1. psycheskinner profile image82

I know people raised by same sex parents and solo parents who would not trade them for anything.  Certainly not some generic person of the "appropriate" sex.  And looking at the I see no detriment at all in their lives.  Good and loving parents of all kinds are acceptable to the child and that makes then acceptable, in fact totally honored and celebrated, by me. My own mother was a solo parent for much of my childhood and I support her choice to do so completely and without reservation.

2. wilderness profile image96

No, I'm rather fond of my Mom.  On the other hand, were I raised by two men, I suspect I would be as fond of them as I am my Mom.

But what has any of that do do with detrimental effects of being raised by one of each sex?

What detrimental aspects? If you want to assert they exist, maybe find some evidence first?

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

He obviously meant "beneficial" rather than detrimental. And he is not talking about solo. He is talking about heterosexual vs homosexual parents and which should take precedence as far as the the ideal scenario.
                He is wondering if society is going totally bonkers.
                No. Don't judge the world by a few keyboarders in the HubPage Forums. Millions in America still have common sense. Have faith in that, Moshka.
                TWISI

OK - what is beneficial to being raised by heterosexual parents instead of homosexual ones?  I can only think of one; being teased by the children of bigots, who are teaching their children to be bigots as well as hurtful bullies to anyone different than they are.  And, just like mixed race marriages, that will slowly disappear when more and more homosexual couples adopt.  In the long run, then, it is beneficial to society (and ultimately children) to have more homosexual parents.

TWISI.

And there are no thought police around arresting us. So that is good! No one can put us in jail for thinking our own thoughts, can they?

2. Moshka profile image61

I think denying a person to have a mother simply to make a political point is the folly of our generation. Only until the last decade has this become a serious issue in the political arena. It seems to me that the rights of a child in the minds of some people are very limited. The same people who advocate homosexual adoption or surrogates, are also advocates of abortion. I've even seen some say that a baby should not be labeled with a gender at all, (so not to confuse it later on in life).

So perhaps one day all of the hateful bigots who prefer to label men as men, and women as women will slowly disappear as well. All the races will meld into one and everyone will become A-Sexual, because that seems to be the only thing that will make some people happy with all that pesky diversity in the world to deal with.

Of course he is talking about solo, because he is saying male and female parenting energy is needed.  That applies just as much to solo as to same sex.

3. Moshka profile image61

Yes, Beneficial. Of course I would not judge the world by the few loud voices, forums are something akin to writing on a bathroom wall. Otherwise we would all be getting paid to do it.

"...forums are something akin to writing on a bathroom wall."

Now, that is the most profound thing I have ever heard read in the forums. Welcome Moshka! Happy scrawling with the rest of us!  (Have you ever done that (wrote on a bathroom wall or stall)??? I did one time. As a very young teen, I etched my name in the YMCA locker room bathroom stall. Then, every time I saw my name there I was so embarrassed!!! Sorta like here. yikes

Premium is not on the table while kids languish in institutions. I think that if the are screened and suitable any person or couple is great if they will provide that child with a bonded parent.  Exactly how "premium" each is, is a case by case thing. Those who will take older or disabled kids would be high on my list of great candidates.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

The point they are making is that love is love. But of course, it is untypical and does not have to be seen as typical.  Adjustments will have to made on many levels by those who witness the situation and by the children themselves. Those who have accepted homosexuality and view it as just fine want others to do so as well.  But, its not just fine because when two people of the same sex are cohabiting the balance provided by male and female energies within the primary relationship (of the parents) is completely off. This opinion will spark a lot of controversy, but the fact remains: the benefits of male / female polarity are absent. One simply cannot deny that obvious fact. Stick to your common sense. Of course we have to accept others, just not their behavior when out of line with God's plan. God's plan is rather obvious. Why some feel the urge to go against nature is beyond me. They should not raise children in my opinion. Of course, love is love and so we have to accept it on that level, even if we do not agree on all levels.
    TWISI

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God's plan? What exactly is God's plan? Did God tell you this personally or are you making this up? "This is God's plan!", "God will take care of it!" and my favorite,  "It's God's will!"  <--- All excuses for a magic man that doesn't exist.

Nature is evidence of God's plan. He planned for humans to reproduce, obviously. Homosexuality may be a "reaction" to overpopulation. I do not know.

1. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Where does homosexuality amongst animals fit in then? They can't be aware of over population.

You're getting really scary, John... this must be the third time in a month! lol

1. John Holden profile image60
              John Holdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know, do you think I should take a break from hubpages for a month or two? lol

Maybe both of us.  Get back into swing, then come back and have at each other.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)