jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

What are your thoughts on gay marriage? and what about homoparental adoption?

1. Mario Rdz profile image61
    Mario Rdzposted 23 months ago

What are your thoughts on gay marriage? and what about homoparental adoption?

I would like to know what do you think about gay marriage, please if you can, try to explain your point of view without religions thoughts, but if not, it doesn't matter, feel free to comment.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13015548_f260.jpg

2. Vlorsutes profile image86
    Vlorsutesposted 23 months ago

I'm of the standpoint that two people in love, should they want their union to be recognized legally, should be afforded the same rights for marriage, regardless of whether they're heterosexual or homosexual. It is a right afforded to the American population through the Constitution, and no one should have that right denied to them, especially for reasons such as religious persecution.

As for children being adopted into a household with parents of the same gender, there have been no legitimate studies showing that children brought up in such an environment grow up to be more or less deviant than those brought up in heterosexual environments. Rather it's the parents themselves (their morals, their lessons of life, etc) that matter, and not their orientation, and I feel that a couple that prove they're capable of giving a child a safe and nuturing environment should be allowed to adopt, regardless of their orientation.

We have little to no qualms in society when it comes to a single parent adopting a child, as long as that parent is able to provide a safe environment for the child to come up in, so why should same sex couples, if they can also prove they're able to provide such an environment, be denied?

Mario Rdzposted 23 months agoin reply to this

For sure it's lots more importan how you raise your children, to be tolerant and respectful, and all those values are what really matters in parenthood.

3. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 23 months ago

I'm in support of them - two consenting adults in love should have the option to marry just like their heterosexual counterparts. And, in the US, the benefits are good. In New Zealand, where I live, the benefits weren't much different to what we had, but easier to explain overseas that you're married than "civil unioned" - except that in a couple who undergo fertility assisted treatment to conceive children - the other parent no longer had to adopt the child conceived in that relationship (where the other parent has given permission for donor sperm to be used), but are automatically included on the child's birth certificate with the tick of a simple box (the donor is recorded at the Dept of Internal Affairs so they can be contacted)

As for children being adopted by homosexual couples - I have a hub looking at studies on the effect of same sex parenting on teenagers - and guess what? There is little to no difference between teens who have been raised by gay parents, to those who have been raised by straight parents. Those raised in homosexual households are actually MORE empathetic than their heterosexual counterparts of the same age.

There are thousands of children in the foster care system in the USA, and thousands of gay couples who want to adopt children and are in states where they cannot adopt - so these children are left to languish in the foster system. LGBT couples are more likely to adopt children with special needs, or behavioural difficulties - these children often float through the system not getting what they need, because LGBT cannot adopt. Children suffer because of other people's prejudices.

4. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 23 months ago

I think it's none of my business who someone else chooses to marry, and that children belong in loving, caring homes.

If two consenting adults love each other, and want to stand up in front of their friends and families and their god, and make a lifetime commitment, nobody should stand in their way.

If those same two people want to take on the responsibility of loving and raising a child who has no home, they have my utmost respect, because that's no easy job.

Totally.

5. Link10103 profile image75
    Link10103posted 23 months ago

It's a non issue, so I don't care.

If same sex...sex somehow negatively affected me directly, I might be more inclined to care. But seeing as how it affects 0 people outside of the actual relationship (and who aren't religious nutjobs), let them be.

As a straight male myself, Gay male couples being allowed to marry doesn't make me suddenly want to blow my neighbor.

As for adoption, 2 parents, regardless of gender, are probably still better than 1, so I don't see much of an issue with it

6. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 23 months ago

A child needs a mother and a father.  Not two mothers, or two fathers.  Gender roles should not be swept under the rug or redefined.

1. Link10103 profile image75
      Link10103posted 23 months agoin reply to this

News to me, being raised by a single mother and all.

Had it come down to it, 2 mothers probably would have been preferable than one.

2. Aime F profile image86
      Aime Fposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Yeah, funny that I know people who grew up with single parents and survived childhood and ended up being pretty damn good people.

Do you think having no mother or father and waiting in foster care is preferable?

3. jlpark profile image85
      jlparkposted 23 months agoin reply to this

2 mums (or dads) is better than none. You'd prefer kids to languish in an awful foster care system with no one to love them than to be loved by two people who happen to be the same gender? Sad, and cruel.

4. Mario Rdz profile image61

I don't think you would be supporting "Gender Roles" if you knew how those were before women were given the same rights as men. I mean, we're all human beings and we must have the same rights.

5. Link10103 profile image75
      Link10103posted 23 months agoin reply to this

If I remember right, Loli is under the impression women should still submit to their husbands while trying not to be owned by them at the same time.

She half gets it...

6. jonnycomelately profile image83
      jonnycomelatelyposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Lolita's ignorance shows up once again.  No direct knowledge of same-gender parents, she must base her opinions on those in the fundamentalist, arrogant and totally un-loving members of certain churches..all of which are based upon misinterpretation.

working