The French Connection

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (43 posts)
  1. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

I read recently on BBC.com where Christine Lagarde said that French President Nicolas Sarkozy and herself will pull out of the G20 Summit if they don't get what they want, from the fall out of the financial global market.  They want stricter regulations than that of the American President Barrack Obama and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Gordon Brown.  So they want to boycott the summit.  How childish is that?  Are these summits not for the purpose of communication and comprise? 

Isn't President Nicolas Sarkozy the same man who was drunk at the past G8 Summit?  I am pretty sure he is.  But, regardless to that matter, if the French Boycott the Summit, to be held in London, April 2nd, 2009, sends out a terrible communication message to people all over the world.  Take for instance Terrorist.  They act in the same manner and accord.  How would this boycott differ from a Terrorist Plot.  The bottom line usually is that somebody's not getting what they want.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7974190.stm

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Whilst you have the facts correct - your assessment is complete war-mongering garbage.

And if you want to talk about terrorist plots - let's discuss the damage done to the world's economy by the banks. Most of which are Middle-Eastern owned - including Citibank. wink

RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Always impressed with your critiques Mark.  Thank you for your opinions.

If my words seem like garbage or words making a declaration to WAR, my apologies.  I am a lover not a fighter.  As for the garbage part.  Well to each his own.  Thanks.

My pleasure. big_smile

And if you do not think suggesting that the French disagreeing with the suggestion that the answer to the current economic crisis is to print more money and pour it into the banks without regulating what they do with it is the same as a terrorist plot is not war-mongering - what is it exactly?

I am not a terrorist, so I won't pretend to judge them as war mongers or peace keepers for there cause.  I leave those judgments in your hands.  I am stating however, that both are childish actions and that both is because someone is not getting their way.  If that is war mongering- it seems to me that your expert- so be it.  But I'm a lover of the Middle Eastern people as I am of the French.  I wish not harm upon this world, but peace.  Boycotting a G20 Summit, out of self righteousness, is not something I'll ever be a supporter of.  Thanks again for informative and delightful conversation.  As I said before, your critiques are impressive as usual.

Well, I happen to live in France - and while I may think (as I do) that Mr. Sarkosy is just another self-serving, hypocritical politician - in this case he has a point. The UK is already broke - even the Governor of the Bank of England stated that there is no more money to pour into the economy and the US is pretty much insolvent.

Sarkosy has been pressuring these two nations to discuss increasing regulation of the financial services sector at the G20., They refused. They only wish to discuss just exactly how much more money can be poured in.

He has said he doesn't wish to discuss that alone and will not attend unless the regulations are also discussed.

Comparing that to being a terrorist act is unfair, creates animosity towards the French and is frankly - war mongering. smile

Thank you for that informative dialog.  As I stated and to which I now determind you are serving a negative and selfish purpose by bringing it up again, and again-  I apologize for what you have intercepted, to be a statement of war mongering.  I will reconfirm my position as a lover of this world and desire peace as most people do.  I do not wish to argue your opinion as whether or not I'm a war monger.  You've have made that message quite clear.  Again I thank you Mark, for voicing out this opinion it appears that you've placed upon my shoulders.  Whilst I feel I'm not at all a war monger, but, a realistic to the course of action the two comparatives are about to take or have taken. 

I imagine France to be lovely this time of year.  Is it?

2. calebd profile image60
      calebdposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me that President Obama and Prime Minister Brown may be the ones being childish. What sort of communication and compromise do you expect when the sane options are taken off the table? Is stricter regulation not a valid position to hold? Why should France participate in a conference where their ideas are dismissed and it is expected that they fall in line with points of view they don't hold?

I also don't see what Sarkozy's drinking habits have to do with the validity of his position. Unless he's walking out because they won't serve him alcohol, this has no bearing on anything. The terrorist comparison is false and disingenuous. This sort of misrepresentation has nothing to do with you being a lover or a fighter or whatever else.

False and disingenuous. I like that - so much more polite than "war mongering garbage." smile

Note to self - be more polite..............

2. RKHenry profile image64

I highly respect your opinion, but feel differently than you.  I don't think  the terrorist observation is false and disingenuous.  Try to respect my opinion and quit calling my words false.   Nothing is absolute.  Next time remember that.

People, hound me all you want, because obliviously I've hit a nerve and that's good for a forum conversation.  However, YOUR personal attacks will not change my position.  It might be more fruitful to try changing my view points in a different manner.  Personal attacks  against me, means nothing.  It means I've somehow offended you and now you're mad.  Okay.  I've apologized.  Accept it or don't.  But that's on you and not on me. 

I am entitled to my opinion just the same as you are entitled to yours.  But please, with all due respect to this important topic, don't be hating on me because I'm American, or because some Americans called French Fries freedom fries, or because you live in France.  As Mark Knowles pointed out- I do have my FACTS straight and correct.  Calling my words garbage or claiming that my words are an affirmation to war or that they are false and disingenuous are not necessary.  They are not productive to the discussion of France pulling out of the G20 summit.  They are harmful to the discussion and future debate. 

I happen to disagree about the fact that the French President being drunk at the G8 not being of vitality to the matters at hand.  The man was drunk.  He was drunk.  If you don't see how wrong that is, then there is nothing further I need to say to you.  He was drunk.

My words are true according to the person who said them.  They are genuine and I stand by them.  Got it?  Understand?  Or shall I write this in French so you read it more effectively?  Latin perhaps?

In whatever language- I stand by what I said.  I do not appreciate the fact that I'm being called terrible names [war monger] and being called a liar.  That is what false and disingenuous means in ENGLISH.  Thank you.

He was drunk for pete-sake.  That maybe okay in your neck of the woods, but in mine, it's being drunk.  That's not okay.

And suggesting that France pulling out of the G20 is is akin to Terrorism is some how constructive to reasonable debate?

Please.

and thank you Mark.  It is always my pleasure to banter with you.  But I'm starting to find it boring and your style predictable.  Have a pleasant evening and goodnight.

Ah - calling you on your using emotive language to stir things up unnecessarily and then accusing everyone of attacking you. Predictable? Yeah - I tend to do that. Sleep tight.

Again-predictable. yawn

Yet you come back again and again................

2. calebd profile image60
          calebdposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The facts you stated are correct. I've no quarrel with those. Your analogy is what I questioned. At no point did I personally attack you nor did I get mad via the internet. I've got nothing riding on this. I wasn't asking for respect/a personal apology so the fact that you chose to proffer one means nothing. At no point did you address any of the questions I raised. You sidestepped and feigned outrage. You're claiming attacks where there were none. You're claiming to have touched nerves that don't exist. 

Also, yes, you're allowed to have an opinion. Everyone does. However, not all opinions are justified, true. In short, they're not all to be granted equal weight simply because they are held. Since for some reason you think this is a language problem that requires you to translate to Latin or French, go right ahead. I speak a passable amount of one and can figure out the other if it isn't too advanced. But the feigned outrage, man, that's got to go.

As for your nothing is absolute stance, there's a cute story involving George Johnson kicking a stone and saying "I refute it thus!"

As for Sarkozy drinking, get off your high horse. Was he drunk when he threatened to withdraw? Was he impaired at the time? You presume Presidents act alone when they have policy teams working with them. Were they all drunk? You don't need much sense to realize that past behavior does not necessarily indicate a pattern. Obama and Bush both used coke in their youth. They don't anymore. It hasn't affected who they are or their policy positions.

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

We stay united for freedom fries!

I wonder if most Americans have any idea just how funny most of the rest of the world thought that was. lol

Yeah, some of us Americans laughed the same as you foreigners did.  French fries will always be French Fries whether freedom rings or not.wink

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I laughed hard lol

But this was one of the first things that hinted me to American totalitarianism, cause it was sooooooooooo familiar...

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

Hi Mark,

I had the weirdest dream about you last night.  Get out of my head lol!  No seriously, I had this dream that I went to some house for some reason I don't know and I walked by this bed room and your were in there on the computer.

I though, Oh hey look it is Mr. Knowles on his computer again.  I went to ask you what was going on on hp but you turned it off... then some other stuff I can't really remember...

and then I was in a hanger bay doing some maintenance on a helicopter and you walked up.  You were wearing some baby blue joggers pants and a white shirt and those sunglasses from your avatar. 

I was like, what are you doing here and you go... "oh I just came to check it out and see what was going on and then you walked up to this guy who was advertising bullets and weapons, picking each one up and thoroughly looking them over...

I stood over by the helicopter I was working on wondering why you were so interested in those weapons if you don't want anything to do with them?

Very strange dream.

Well, the only thing I can say for sure is that I do not own a pair of baby blue jogging bottoms. big_smile

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL ROTFLMAO!  big_smile

2. LondonGirl profile image81
        LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sweetie, they would be soooo you....

You think? Well, in that case............... big_smile

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

cause it's addictive, too lol

6. RKHenry profile image64

updated 3 hours, 34 minutes ago

Hundreds of [French] workers take bosses hostage......................

Well how bout that?  http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03 … pstoryview

Lovely just Lovely.

Oddly enough, the French population is a little pissed at being screwed by the banks.

US Troops murder, rape and burn Iraqis

Lovely - just lovely.

yawn

2. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have to admit, when Bill and I saw that on the news last night (that the French workers had taken some bosses hostage) we cheered. You know, Enron wiped out entire pensions--their workers lost EVERYTHING. And what was the reaction? Was there a reaction? I forget...

At least the French don't bend over when instructed to do so. We bend over and wave the flag for a little extra spice.

Enron cost my family $65,000 in 1 quarter.

Are you actually saying then, that its alright to take men hostages [men who have NO control over CORPORATE] with the intent to kill them?  So am I to understand it that you promote KILLING or the ATTEMPT to kill INNOCENT people because those men lost their pension plans?  Well.

Amazing as that may read, I'll advise my father to chuck and run.  It ain't worth killing someone over.  $65,000 is nothing to sneeze over.  That $65,000.00 pays for my grandparents right to still live in their home and have health care.  That money, decided whether or not I could go to school, or whether my sister can be taken care of or my whether my Pee-Pa could have a proper burial or not.  Here, in the reality of my world, sure those things are dear and precious to my family.  But.  For my father, to take his DIRECT boss and hold him hostage at gun point to get his money back, is and would've been wrong.  I would support any decision made against my father, that meant his imprisonment or detainment in a Mental facility.  Terrorized chaos usually doesn't bring good change, it brings out death. Spicy flags or not.  I imagine if it was my father holding your partner at gun point, demanding money, you'd think the same.  These are human beings, not a pack of wild dogs to be murdered at will.

Ah I get it now. Troll. Thanks. smile

Mark, I imagine you'd be the first in a bread line, if it ever came to that.   I may hide under a bridge scared, and I can't grow facial hair, so I don't know how scary I'd look being a Troll, as I  popped up [at the back of the line] for dinner.

1. profile image0
                Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ah, poor RK.  (lol, tho I think you can handle yourself).  You just have to understand the Meta (Narrative) Gods of Hubpages, you know.  I've seen this before...They actually adore you--you give them something to do and something to say.

Me, I stand amused at both the so-called "Trolls," and the "Meta Gods," usually.  I'm probably just a lowly Hubpage 'intellectual' demi-nymph or something....  Misha, for one, has claimed Sandra for the roll of Goddess waaay back.

smile

2. Make  Money profile image66
            Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol  Did you not even read the CNN report that you posted RK?

They are not holding hostages at gun point.

Terrorized chaos?  Nobody's life is threatened.

They just want to negotiate with Caterpillar about proposed layoffs, which they have a right.

What's worse than a war monger?  A war monger that fabricates stories.  But I guess that is what war mongering is all about, fabricating propaganda.

Mike Money-  Did I specifically say that the hostages detained by the caterpillar people were held at gun point, no.  I was trying to make a point ...........  you know never mind, you're not worth it.  Anybody whose that chicken NOT to face the public in their own forum made post, after he called them some really awful names,  is a sorry piece of birthday cake.  I wouldn't associate with the likes of you [now], after that blatant act of cowardliness. I'm not going to now.   Go on think what you like, makes no difference to me.  You can't even count and you look pretty damn old enough to count.

7. RKHenry profile image64

Whether people are "pissed" about the economic situation, there are better alternatives to handling the matter better than taking HOSTAGES.  I [me], sees this move as random.  I see this action as a uncivilized childish measure.  I [me] sees this act as a random act to terrorize.  Terror.  Why else do you act this way, if not to GET your way. 

Mark, you're an expert on about everything it seems, is not holding human beings in a hostle, aggressive manner not childish?  Regardless from what country.  Were you earlier, actually rationalizing this behavior because you live in France?  Sure, your predictable American back wash speaks the truth to this matter.  Like your attempt to cause a  distraction from the [truth] concerning France make it all better.  By the way, just because America has made mistakes, doesn't make it right for Frenchmen to act this way. 

Please. 

yawn.

I was just making a point. Odd that when you do it it is the truth and when I do it it is yawn-worthy predictability

You are the one who started this ridiculous discussion by suggesting that Sarkosy and France were Terrorizing you.

I understand that you are scared, but please do not try and get everyone else as scared as you are - that is the sort of thing that ends in wars.

War monger.

I know you are but what am I?

How old are you? The last time I heard that riposte I was about 12 years old. lol

Thank you for getting my point. 

Now Mark, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, almost breathless to hear another one of the many childish replies you put forth.  Do tell, what's it going to be?  Something silly?  Something playful?  Something a first grader would say perhaps?  Do tell, I'm waiting.

Well, as you seem unable to understand anything I have said, I am not sure it is worth bothering.

I notice that you also avoided the question and are once again attempting to divert the conversation away from your ridiculous fascist war-mongering.

You do know there is a minimum age limit for opening a hubpages account - right?

8. RKHenry profile image64

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7977346.stm

What's wrong with France these days?  Childish, terrorizing behavior all from a country who pride themselves in manners.  I just don't get it.  First their holding hostages, boycotting G20 Summits because they aren't getting their way and now............

Just take a look at them.  America isn't looking to bad after all these days.  I wonder if there trouble stems from the drunk they call President.  It could very well be. 

France is holding NATO Conferences in the next few days.  You'd think they'd get their ducks in a row.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)