Would Alex Hamilton Have Opposed the Ratification of the 21st Amend?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 7 years ago

The 21st Amendment, which limits someone from being elected as president more than two times, was ratified in February 1951; but was initiated in the conservative led Congress in 1947.  It was in reaction to FDR winning his 4th term combined with his progressive policies.  Myth has it that George Washington set the two term precedent on purpose ... he didn't.  In fact four presidents tried for a third term prior to FDR, all failed.

However, was this what the founding fathers had in mind with they wrote the Constitution?  At least from reading Federalist Paper #71, Alexander Hamilton support no term limits on the "Chief Magistrate", as he called the President.

The question is - would he have opposed the 21st Amendment in 1947?

1. lions44 profile image95
      lions44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Didn't the 21st repeal prohibition?  You mean the 22nd, which was passed in 1951.

My Esotericposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes it did, I meant the 22nd.  I made the exact same mistake when I looked up the wording ... then forgot to make the correction.  Thanks for catching it.

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Hamilton having an 18th century mindset and from the point of view of his world I think would have opposed the introduction of term limits as contrary to the Constitution, as written. What basis would he have had to impose a restraint? I have a hard time understanding the necessity of the 22nd Amendment as ratified in 1947.

Consider the political makeup in the late 40s and early 50s; it had moved very much to the Right and they were very much opposed to FDR and his policies.  Apparently, Thomas Dewey got things rolling with a comment he made, although Wendell Wilkie whined about it as well before his loss to FDR.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

…  the first paragraph in single sentences:

"It is a general principle of human nature, that a man will be interested in whatever he possesses, in proportion to the firmness or precariousness of the tenure by which he holds it;

will be less attached to what he holds by a momentary or uncertain title, than to what he enjoys by a durable or certain title;

and, of course, will be willing to risk more for the sake of the one, than for the sake of the other.

This remark is not less applicable to a political privilege, or honor, or trust, than to any article of ordinary property.

The inference from it is, that a man acting in the capacity of chief magistrate, under a consciousness that in a very short time he MUST lay down his office, will be apt to feel himself too little interested in it to hazard any material censure or perplexity, from the independent exertion of his powers, or from encountering the ill-humors, however transient, which may happen to prevail, either in a considerable part of the society itself, or even in a predominant faction in the legislative body.

If the case should only be, that he MIGHT lay it down, unless continued by a new choice, and if he should be desirous of being continued, his wishes, conspiring with his fears, would tend still more powerfully to corrupt his integrity, or debase his fortitude.

In either case, feebleness and irresolution must be the characteristics of the station."

(Could the average person of the time understand???)

Read the rest of paper No. 71 here:
    http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed71.asp

The literate people of that age were use to parsing such verbosity; something we don't have patience for today.  Personally, I have reread it three times and will do so again when I get to a hub about it.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

Based on human nature, a president will value a long term position, (firmness of tenure,) more than a short term position, (precariousness of the tenure,) and will:
    1. work for re-election
    2. do a better job
    because  "… a man will be interested in whatever he possesses …" 

He will not be interested in what he does not possess.

Hamilton might have thought it would be better if we had not limited the terms. Let the people decide.
    In this race, Obama might have had a third shot !!!
    Yes? No?

Agreed and Yes, like Bill Clinton before him, my guess is both would be reelected for a 3 rd term.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)