Let Us Speak in ONE Voice: tyranny of the majority?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

President-elect Trump's Thanksgiving video calls for the nation to unite to Make America Great.

Full speech transcript

We are very blessed to call this nation our home. And that is what America is: it is our home. It’s where we raise our families, care for our loved ones, look out for our neighbors, and live out our dreams.

It is my prayer, that on this Thanksgiving, we begin to heal our divisions and move forward as one country, strengthened by a shared purpose and very, very common resolve.

In declaring this national holiday, President Lincoln called upon Americans to speak with “one voice and one heart.” That’s just what we have to do.

We have just finished a long and bruising political campaign. Emotions are raw and tensions just don’t heal overnight. It doesn’t go quickly, unfortunately, but we have before us the chance now to make history together to bring real change to Washington, real safety to our cities, and real prosperity to our communities, including our inner cities. So important to me, and so important to our country. But to succeed, we must enlist the effort of our entire nation.

This historic political campaign is now over. Now begins a great national campaign to rebuild our country and to restore the full promise of America for all of our people.

I am asking you to join me in this effort. It is time to restore the bonds of trust between citizens. Because when America is unified, there is nothing beyond our reach, and I mean absolutely nothing.

Let us give thanks for all that we have, and let us boldly face the exciting new frontiers that lie ahead.

Thank you. God Bless You and God Bless America.

I object. Is America worthy of a reflective patriotism that doesn't mindlessly assert, 'My country, right or wrong'?

The United States of America thrives on diversity. America is a home to all, such that no one group can call itself more “American” than another. A diverse organization is one that values the difference in people.

What exactly does “speak with one voice” mean? Essentially, it means that risk communicators and crisis communicators – and in fact all communicators – should do whatever it takes to ensure message consistency. The most extreme version demands total centralization of the public communication role; everyone is told to refer all inquiries to a single source. More moderate versions involve generating a set of key messages that everyone is supposed to stick to. http://www.psandman.com/col/onevoice.htm

“Most of the time, we see only what we want to see, or what others tell us to see, instead of really investigate to see what is really there. We embrace illusions only because we are presented with the illusion that they are embraced by the majority. When in truth, they only become popular because they are pounded at us by the media with such an intensity and high level of repetition that its mere force disguises lies and truths. And like obedient schoolchildren, we do not question their validity and swallow everything up like medicine. Why? Because since the earliest days of our youth, we have been conditioned to accept that the direction of the herd, and authority anywhere — is always right.” ― Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute the Sun: The Writings of Suzy Kassem

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13291042.jpg

1. Live to Learn profile image62
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope that doesn't offend you to say it.

I don't see speaking with one voice as a dangerous prospect. Primarily because how we go about implementing it will reflect our diversity. No one seeks to have the populace rubber stamp govenment activity.

I suppose this thread is little more than another piece of evidence of our lack of unity. Me, me, me. Mine, mine, mine. If exactly what I want is not the end result, with no deviation and no consideration for what others think on the matter then I'm bound to complain about it.

There can be no unity without consideration of others. But, unity doesn't appear to be desirable. Tyranny appears to be ok a long as it would be my tyranny, or so those refusing to give this process a chance seem to be saying to me.

1. ptosis profile image67
        ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank your for your stuck-up answer. I'm talking about "tyranny of the majority" and you turned it around against me as if dissent is selfish and one-sided.

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13291119.jpg

Don't you see? It is selfish and one sided. Complaining without any attempt to find the good or the compromise. Diversity demands compromise to maintain the happiness of all diverse elements. Complaining accomplishes nothing but belly aching that your unique diversity doesn't take precedent.

Pardon me for not adding the ubiquitous poster. But, that's a far end trait from what I have gathered.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
          gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I like the Perry Mason picture-IT SAYS IT ALL!!!!

2. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Everybody has the right to complain, heaven knows that the forces on the right certainly have been expert at this over the last 8 years. From the 'cooperative Tea Party' created virtually on the day of Obama's inauguration.

The right's idea of compromise is total capitulation of the other side. Yes, Trump is going to be subject to relentless and critical analysis, just as Obama was from the forces of reaction, years ago. As President, Trump can and should expect this. Will he be up to it?

Hope that you have the day off from your restaurant establishment. Best Thanksgiving Wishes.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
          Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Will unattached try to report the freak show from far away. Where Obama jumps into the frying pan then Trump jumps into the fire.

Have a hot roast beast on Thanksgiving.

Enjoy your comments.

1. Credence2 profile image79

Same to you Castle, thanks!!!

2. Live to Learn profile image62

So, what is the answer? To have the left do exactly what they complained about the right doing?

roll Like I said. Everyone wants to complain if exactly what they want isn't what everyone has to swallow. Forget unity. Forget compromise. Me, me, me. Mine, mine, mine.

This country will continue its fractious existence as long as this selfish entitlement philosophy is the order of the day.

And yet you are so far above it? I have heard you accuse Democrats as being the bigger culprit of voter
            fraud, that is an area of contention from my point of view right there. You are hardly the lady holding the scales of justice, blindfolded, I think that you do peek as to which side the scales are tilted and comment based upon that. Where you  are giving everyone this impression that you are just an impartial observer, right?

Ever heard of landslide Lyndon? Free meals for votes? Ballot box stuffing? Every one I've heard of was democrats.  Now, if I become privy to the same amount of voter fraud from Republicans then I'll change my opinion.

But, that is a part of our process we have to remain ever vigilant against.

And, since neither the far left or far right appear to care about those of us in the middle my opinion stands. You all want to mold the country into your images. Left or right. You all scream about diversity but none of you respect it, unless it agrees to walk in your footsteps.

I have been following enough of the debates to know that you are right of center. I am privy to many outrages regarding voting rights committed by GOP, regardless of what you are 'privy to', do I need to document this? Diversity is acceptable to you as long as it the right wing vision, there is no neutral in this debate.

For every landslide Lyndon, there is a landslide REagan.

So, what is your plan for the country to be molded into?

When leaders threaten the viability of Roe vs Wade or the the right to privacy in sexual behavior between consenting adults, as his appointees are subscribing to, I am going to complain.

I did not say that I plan to overthrow the government, but I reserve to myself the right of dissent. Free speech, AMERICA, that sort of thing you know.

My vision? Something in between you guys. You know I support a woman's right to choose but I won't vote solely on that issue.

But, tell me what you see as the right wing vision and I'll tell you if you are right or if, once again, you are making it up as you go.

As long as I allowed to call you out on your exaggerations concerning those with left leaning ideology, sure....

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

I remember that from Duffy Duck, or was that from Trump mine mine mine!!!

No. But you're right. I remember an animated movie with seagulls saying that. Can't remember the name.

2. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump's words:

"It is my prayer, that on this Thanksgiving, we begin to heal our divisions and move forward as one country, strengthened by a shared purpose and very, very common resolve".

Trump's actions:

Appointed a chief strategist who has boasted of providing the platform for a neo-nazi movement.

Named someone prevented from becoming a federal judge because he was too racist, as attorney general, the person in charge of upholding civil rights.

Trump's actions speak much louder than his words.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

Politics is an ever changing game.  When Obama was President, there was the Tea Party who protested, now that Trump is President-Elect, many Liberals are protesting.   Right to free speech & protest, I say.  Americans have this right.
    http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12994443.jpg

1. Castlepaloma profile image76

Lol
      love Blazing Saddles

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Tyranny of the majority ? Too bad for the nanny state left that that isn't America , Not by design and not of it's evolution , Want a  majority rule , Then go back to day care - College - grade school . Go back to  the community center , The American political system works the way it is .

The left  that lost the election fairly , that  needs change in the system now to accommodate
    their "safe space " emotional  whining ?   Get used to it ! The right waited   for eight years .It's  Your turn ....................

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

ptosis - You hub was too well-written to pound your first commenter with "Thank your for your stuck-up answer."

Nobody is going to get over this election - that lasted about 18 months - overnight or over a fortnight. The winners write editorials like yours and God Bless.  Especially when a president-elect doesn't win the popular vote and when that benefits one party twice in a period of only 16 years, the nation needs time to recover. At least a third of it does.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)