John Lewis: Why does Trump consistently use poor judgement?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

This latest spat with Congressman John Lewis is another example of how Trump always comes off as a hot head with poor judgement, just what we need in the modern world.

Yes, Lewis 'started it' with his statement about the President-Elect's legitimacy. Many of us of the enlightened left have pondered that question, but I am resigned to accept the reality as it is today.

But, Trump needs to pick his battles more carefully. With the King holiday around the corner and the controversy surrounding Jeff Session's appointment as  Attorney General, this is not the kind of scrap that he needs right now. What do we have to do to get him to keep his mouth shut? Where is Yosemite Sam when you need him?

While Trump was getting his testicles waxed, Lewis risked his life in the civil rights struggles. But how do I compare Trump's vaunted 'financial courage' with this?

The press and many conservatives criticizes Trump for his statements regarding Lewis. For many of us in the civil rights community and the supportive left, he continues to pour salt on old wounds making it less likely that harmony will be the outcome.

I expected more from my teenager than I did her 2 year old brother. Consequently, I expect more than  puerile antics from the President of the United States than I would expect from Meryl Streep, a Hollywood film actress. Trumps baits himself before a free press that he ultimately cannot control.

As I have said, it begins....

1. jackclee lm profile image82
      jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Credence2,
      I am not a Trump cheerleader but a conservative who thought both candidates were bad for America. However, Lewis is out of line here. He raise the question of legitimacy and you expect Trump to say nothing? He was elected by the people. Unless Lewis can proof fraud, he cannot make that charge. Just because Lewis was a civil rights leader in the past, does not give him a blank check. What has he done for his constituents lately? That is the problem with politicians today and it is one reason for the election of Trump.
      Your comments about Senator Sessions is also biased. This man has been a good prosecutor and Senator for his whole career. Just because you disagree with his politics, does not give some Democrats the right to bring racist charges against him.
      We all need to take a deep breath and give Trump a chance. You can critisize and disagree with his policies all day long once he is in office.

Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jack,

Trump by his nature, personality and politics, is going to be subject to a great deal of criticism and if he can't handle it, either he should adjust his politics or get out of the job. Isn't that true of anyone in the top seat? Yes, I expect him to either say nothing or to have handled the comment in a different way rather than with childish tantrums. Lewis has as much right to express his opinions as those who attacked Obama with similar charges in 2008, even though HE did win the electoral college AND popular vote. Trump was appointed by the ELECTORAL College.

What do you know about what Mr. Lewis has done for his constituents? He has been constantly reelected by the people of Atlanta. So unless you live in Atlanta, who are you to talk?

Where was the evidence that Obama had a fraudulent birth certificate?

There are serious concerns about Sessions, Trump could have, if he is really as smart as he says that he is, picked someone who was conservative but far less controversial. Of course, any rightwinger would say that Sessions and his record is OK. I never made any biased comments about Sessions, you are putting words into my mouth, I just said that his appointment is controversial, and it is.

As far as I am concerned, he will called out by me whenever he gets out of line, and he has been fair game ever since he had been elected.

I don't like the man and he starts behind the eight ball and it will be up to him to prove to me  in his actual tenure if he deserves to remain there.

That's fair. You are exactly at the same point some of us on the right was 8 years ago. Unfortunately, Obama has proven us right. His policies have been disastrous for all Americans except some on wall street. If the next 4 years proof to be as bad as you expected, you have every right to gloat. But then again, what if things turned around under Trump? what would you do then? Would you admit you were wrong and misled by the media that has created this false caricature of Trump...

Of course it is fair, from a rightwing standpoint, yes it was a disaster, but I give very little credulity to the right-winger and their perceptions. It is just your opinion as one who fawns the Right as to Obama's record, hardly objective.

Gloat? That will be an understatement as to what myself and the left will rain upon Trump when he gets out of line.

But, if I am wrong about him and does not take us back a century or two, I will give credit when due. But, be damned sure that he will have to earn it. And that will not come easy, grudgingly at best. But I will take note and say as much.

Credence2,
              That fine with me. I will be right there with you. If he does wrong I will be the first to criticize.

YOU would actually criticize Trump?  This I have to see to believe?  I thought that the "chosen one" can never be in error. You can be sure that I will be watching

All the same, Jack, thanks for the revelation.

2. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"if he can't handle it"

Did Trump break down into tears and run away?  Did he curl into a ball and cry?  Did he suicide over it?

No?  Then he handled it.  That he didn't do so by pretending it was not said, encouraging more such silly claims and keeping liberals happy, is to his credit.  It's long past time that we quit putting up with such nonsense.

Great, he is going to make America great again? The left under Obama took this on for the last 8 years. So, let's see if the Right can take what is so easily dished out. Now, that is the test.

1. wilderness profile image96

Then even a strong, non PC leader should not change the deplorable practice of throwing mud without needing evidence or reason?  We should keep right on with such pitiful, deplorable activity? 

This, too, I will disagree with.  That liberals enjoy the activity doesn't say much for them, and that Obama fit so well into the political atmosphere of that kind of activity was not to his credit.

Trump and his twitter toy certainly won't change the culture you complain about for the better. He is no better than the stuff that he says he is to drain from the swamp.

But, again, that is just my opinion.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The enlightened left. I love it. It took me a while to get up off the floor where I fell down laughing, but I love it.

Always happy to tickle your funny bone....

3. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Rubbing Salt into Old Wounds"   IS essentially  the Obama legacy ,   Credence , your mind and opinion  has always been mad up about Trump AND   Lewis is but one of the swamp people needing to be drained .

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Things may be better or worse under Trump than Obama.  But you can't put the two men in the same sentence, much less category, when it comes to character and dignity.  It's not the politics that make me aghast that  60 million Americans put this man in office - it is his character (lack of).In four years we may be in better shape politically (mainly because Democrats are more willing to compromise than the Republicans of the last 8 years were) but our moral fabric will never be the same.  And if that doesn't matter to a person, that is probably a person who helped put this man in office.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid it was Hillary's complete lack of moral character which made it impossible for me to vote for her. I choked voting for Trump but I felt it was my duty to vote.

2. jackclee lm profile image82

That may be true about Trump, but if he is able to get our country back on track, with jobs, and economy and foreign affairs, I will vote for him next time. If not, on to the next conservative candidate. Your view of democrats and republicans are biased. To me, they are both corrupt and have been playing the American people for years. Pitting one group against the other meanwhile, they are doing the bidding of the donor class... It is one reason why Trump was elected to drain the swamp.

1. wilderness profile image96

+1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)