How To Argue That The Charlottesville Violence Is Absolutely Unaccepta

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

https://www.bustle.com/p/how-to-argue-t … able-76187

Common Argument #6: Anti-racists and anti-fascists commit violence, too.

Your Response: Setting aside that nobody was killed in the high-profile clashes in Berkeley earlier this year, much less plowed a car into a crowd of people, acts of violence committed in the name of white supremacy, racism, and neo-Nazism are not morally equivalent to acts of violence (or in many cases, simply property damage) committed in opposition to those forces.

While it's perfectly fair for people to argue and disagree over whether violence from anti-racists and anti-fascists is ever acceptable, and where that, line is drawn, it is not morally equivalent to violence ― especially lethal violence ― committed in service of racist oppression.

How To Explain White Privilege Exists: 7 Common Arguments, Debunked
    https://www.bustle.com/articles/67904-h … s-debunked

This Is What White Supremacy Looks Like: Don’t be confused. Trump’s voters didn’t vote against their own interests, they voted for the preservation of white privilege—their paramount interest.  Retaining the value of a whiteness they believed to be increasingly devalued superseded everything else. Including their own livelihoods; https://www.thenation.com/article/this- … ooks-like/

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13664793_f1024.jpg

The White Anti-Racism Tone Police: White Supremacy vs. White Privilege - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jesse-ben … 61740.html

"White supremacy refers to the system, white privilege refers to its benefits. The two are inexorably tied, but not the same thing."

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your argument loses steam at the point you say 'Trump’s voters didn’t vote against their own interests, they voted for the preservation of white privilege—their paramount interest'

Those who voted for Trump for those reasons would fit into your scenario. I would challenge you to explain how my vote was based on preservation of white privilege.

I could just as easily proclaim that all who voted for Hillary were in favor of a government which exists only to enrich the politicians. Would that be a fair assessment of your reasons for voting for her in the general election?

ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How am I supposed to delve into your mind as to why you voted for Trump? Brain damage perhaps? You didn't have to vote for Trump nor Clinton. It was your choice.

Just to clarify. You are accusing me of having brain damage. Correct?

Being too easily offended is a form of self-victimization.

2. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Wow "brain damage", seriously ptosis? Where's that loving, compassionate and understanding spirit that we are always hearing only liberals are capable of?

"Wow only liberals are capable of"

Always good to hear advice 'dripping with condescension' about my manners.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13665085.png

3. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me that someone arguing in defense of a liberal position can accuse those they perceive as the opposition of being less than feces, brain damaged, etc and get away with it without any type of response from Hub Pages monitors. Something seems amiss, in my book.

Did you complain and mark my post? 
      If not then: Being offended without taking action does nothing to make the world a better place

If did complain -and my post is still up?  Then,  instead of realizing that there is even a small percentage of a chance that you might be hypercritical - resort to condemning the entire HP for dereliction of duty.

Perhaps I'm wrong and I need guidance.  I'm looking at the TOS right now. I don't see what you are talking about.

Harass, threaten or intimidate? Nope. Sorry, but it’s your fault if you’re offended all the time.

Fountain of Eternal Indignation
      https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13665601.jpg

Go ahead mark my posts as being against TOS. I'm sure you already have. Your unnecessary censoring to suppress non-violent views so that nobody can disagree with your false sense of omnipotence is ineffective.

Ok, I need to get this clarified. Is it against ToS to call someone bigoted, racist, etc? It seems falls under the category of insulting someone. If so, can we please put that up in the ToS?

From another forum:
      The ToS already states no personal insults. To call someone a bigot, is aiming a negative statement at a person and their character, which constitutes a personal insult. Which may or may not be true, but personal insults have never been judged on whether or not they are true.

However, if you are to say "What you just said comes off as very racist" or otherwise aiming the negative at the statement, it is a criticism of something the user said, rather than applying a negative to the user themselves.

I did mark your post when you made the personal attack against Wilderness. I never mark posts when I think someone has broken the rules when speaking to me. I don't think. I may have, from time to time, when I felt the act severely broke rules that the speaker should have known they were doing. I don't give you as much credit as some, so you do get a pass.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years ago

Statues are rock and metal.  They do nothing.  The electoral college is based on racism and has impacted two of our last three presidencies.  This is the issue you should be fighting.  National Popular Vote Movement.  Is your state in?

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years ago

Damned straight.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)