Why Religions Must Be Tolerated And NOT Segregated

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Mick Murdockposted 14 years ago

There is a problem within the United States that goes back all the way to the founding of the U.S.: the Separation of Church and State. From my stand-point, I believe that ALL religions, from Christianity to Islam to Buddism, must not be segregated from the American public because religions haven't done anything majorly wrong to America or the World. One of the lame excuses that some Americans use to separate religion from the public are the past crimes religions had committed on people, (the Crusades, the Inquisition, witch burning, etc.). What they don't understand is that that was a very long time ago. It was a totally different generation that shouldn't have any effect here in the future whatsoever.

So the point I'm trying to make here is that religions don't believe in the Crusades or the Inquisition or witch burning anymore. They have matured. They don't want to force anyone to join their faith. They don't want to hurt anyone. Again I say, they have matured. The mission of religions now is to help achieve peace and love and to help those in serious need. Anyone who wishes to achieve peace and love in the world must not be segregated or intolerated. Segregation is evil. Look what it did to the African-Americans in the southern states of America. And intolerance of others due to their faith or culture is an bad attitude to have.

However, I will say this: according to my belief, the only thing that should be separated between the church and the government is lawmaking. I do not want the church to tell the federal government how to run things, nor do I want the government to tell the church how to practice their faith. It's only fair that way.

I for one certainly don't want to force anyone to join a religion. All I'm doing is pointing out that religons are not evil cults or anything like that. They are now peaceful organizations that want nothing more than to help those in serious need, for example the poor. They deserve some tolerance.

And that's why religions musn't be separated from the American public.

1. TheMoneyGuy profile image67
      TheMoneyGuyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Germans and the Italians and the Japanese and the Spanish all about the 1930 really embraced a close tie between their governments and Religions.  We call the practice Fascism now.  But I think most will agree it was modern reminder of the kinds of things that happen when governments get to cozy to religions.

TMG

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am going to guess they are talking about church schools, funding, charities, and the like.  Gray areas.  But at least they are not like the crazies here lately who believe the constitution only stated that government stay out of religion.

I think most of the constitutional crowd was like me Deist bordering on the agnostic.  That said, most viewed organized religion as a threat to liberty and as such had no place in government, and vice versa.

TMG

2. rosariomontenegro profile image67
      rosariomontenegroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You really have a benevolent eye about religions, a tad overoptimistic ... Anyway the point of the matter being that ... the separation between church and state has nothing to do with religions being separated from the American public...
      I suggest that you peruse attentively these forums and you will soon realize that the American public is not only not separated from religions but rather glued to religions, a non-separation that always surprises foreign eyes.

By the way, religions (or most other cultural trait) do not deserve tolerance but acceptance. Who are we to "tolerate" others as if we were their superiors. All of us have to "accept" each other, and each other religion, with great respect. By my saying this I'm proving that I am an overoptimistic person too.

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Considered post. 

However, I do not understand what you take issue with.

"There is a problem within the United States that goes back all the way to the founding of the U.S.: the Separation of Church and State. From my stand-point, I believe that ALL religions, from Christianity to Islam to Buddism, must not be segregated from the American public because religions haven't done anything majorly wrong to America or the World."

These two things are apples and oranges. You start out with saying the constitution is a problem, and then you end in saying you want religion out of government and law.  And that's what the constitution ensures.

Religion seems very available to the American public in many forms.  I don't think there is any lack.

3. Angel Of Love profile image62
    Angel Of Loveposted 14 years ago

You see you I must be tolerated.

1. profile image0

You seem harmless, kind of like a butterfly or something... smile  That just wasn't grammatical.

*edit:  And OP, should have put this in Religion.  Much more action there...all we have is crazies with no argument at all here these days, wink.

Ahh a new picture!!

1. profile image0

Hi, TMG.  Yep.  I see you are still around.  smile

I have been super busy lately, saving the world.  I am coming to the realization the world don't fancy saving all that much. LOL

1. profile image0

smile  Yeah, lol.  I did my part with that in my early 20's.  I now need to make $$.

I still make money too.  I just try to combine it with my world saving.  It is hard to get investors when your opening line is "This business is only trying to make a modest profit while benefitting mankind"

TMG

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I beg to differ - this is where religion really belongs. wink

He is not here for a discussion anyway - he just joined up to tell us what we MUST do. And there is nothing but crazies with no argument in the religion forum now. I have given up even talking to them now. I can only take so much cut and pasted garbage that they then complain I do not spend 3 hours rebutting.

And to the OP if he ever comes back - religion MUST be kept away from government. The guys who wrote your constitution were geniuses.

"How the hell do we keep these religious fanatics from running the country?"

"I know - let's tell them we will keep religion and state separate so they are free to practice whatever they like without government interference. They are too blinkered to work out it is a two way street." lol

4. profile image0

We agree on that almost across the board, TMG.  smile

5. mcbean profile image67
    mcbeanposted 14 years ago

I am a little confused by the multiple points of the original post.
    The separation of church from state is an entirely unrelated point to the rights of citizens to follow the faith of their choosing.
    When the state is not separated from the church you have political decisions being directly influenced by religious beliefs e.g. Iran.
    The United states is technically separated from the church although there is a little too much "In god we trust" for my liking.
    This implies one religion has a higher standing than another. Either change the saying to "In God, Allah, Buddah, etc. etc. we trust" or better still, leave deities out of it all together.

One look at the passion stirred up regularly in the Religious forums should highlight the danger. The leaders of nations need to act calmly and with reason.

Passion and nuclear weapons do not mix.

This is not a frivolous point. Countless wars have their origins in conflicting religions. Lets hope the world has 'matured' as you suggest. Yes the crusades were a long time ago but The War on Terror seems pretty fresh to me.

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

People in the US have religious freedom.  The problem is that some religions have beliefs/practices that conflict with some of the rights, freedoms, and protections guaranteed by The Constitution.  A related problem is that American society, on the whole, does tend to share values/beliefs when it comes to things like the rights of children or women to be protected from what is deemed as "abuse".  A good example of where conflict exists is the religion that has young girls being forced into marriage and robbed of many of the freedoms and protections many other Americans have.

If a religion (with practices that conflict with The Constitution and the basic America culture) is to thrive in the US I think the only way for that to happen is for that religion to "mature" (the way others have said other religions have throughout history) and "get with the program" in the US.  Another option is to practice those "conflicting" religions outside the US.  If people in a "conflicting" religion feel segregated in the US it is because their religion is segregating them from mainstream American society.  If that's ok with them then I guess it's their choice.

There is a very big difference between what went on with African-Americans (who did nothing to bring on their horrible mistreatment and segregation; and the treatment of whom actually was in conflict with the nation's stated principles; and people who feel segregated because of the religion they choose to follow (or, in fairness to some believers, they feel they have no choice but to follow).  US laws guarantee them religious freedom, but if that religion has practices that conflict with others laws and societal values; those people will feel isolated, but that will be because their religion denies some followers some of the rights, protections, and freedoms The Constitution guarantees.  I don't know what the answer to that is (other than practice the "conflicting religion" somewhere outside the US); but I don't think any "segregation" is the fault of the government or the general population, the way slavery and segregation were in the past.  Ideally, those "conflicting" religions will modify their practices to bring them in keeping with American government and society, and there won't be a problem.

7. profile image0

I'm pretty sure our founders (who may be ashamed of us now, with all our Glen Beckians and other cheap preachers of religion or politics) saw the issues Europe had a few centuries ago.

And, yeah, MK, you are right.  I don't want them anywhere near our government.

Really appreciate a poster and a debate that isn't at the aforementioned level, however.

8. free4india profile image60
    free4indiaposted 14 years ago

No religious teaching in world has asked their followers to commit crime.  It just manipulations by religious leaders to retain their power that enmity among people belonging to different religion is created.

9. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

Religions must be tolerated... because birth and death are common to all. Religious intolerance may advance the death of a person.. but cannot avoid it. Everyone is going to die one day. Killing a person in the name of religion and feeling proud is meaningless. The same death comes to the killers also in due course. It will be wise to treat all religions as equal and avoid intolerance.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)