Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Jump to Last Post 101-102 of 102 discussions (409 posts)
  1. Don W profile image84
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

I wasn't entirely serious. The comparison was tongue in cheek. The idea there might be a scientist out there who’s upset about who got the prize for chemistry because he thinks mapping ribosomes is less significant than say research on energy transfer reactions in mesoscopic materials just appealed to my sense of humour smile

Despite that admission, I’m still surprised more people don't see the significance of what the President has said and done. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Obama is perfect. I certainly don't think he is a "messiah" as one person said, but I can see the significance of what he is doing.

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if these points have been raised, but the actions of Obama before and during his Presidency shows his dedication to the goal of nuclear disarmament. In 2004 after touring former Soviet states, Senator Obama and Senator Lugar co-sponsored a bill to update the Nunn-Lugar non proliferation program. The Lugar-Obama Act became law in 2007, making important expansions to that program. Then (less than a year into his Presidency) President Obama drafts a U.N. resolution on non proliferation and disarmament, and gets that resolution passed unanimously by the U.N. security council (15 countries) in what U.N. President Ban Ki Moon described as an “historic moment”. That's very significant by the standards of international politics.

Also, I think it’s untrue that words are not important. Words are often the prerequisite to certain actions. They open doors. They enable some actions to happen. I believe what President Obama has said on the international stage in the last 9 months has done more to benefit international relations than the actions carried out during most of the previous administration. Not just on the subject of non-proliferation, but on international matters generally. I think the importance of what he has said is being under estimated.

In recognising the President’s efforts, I think the Nobel committee are being more pro-active with the prize on this occasion, to actively encourage efforts made by Obama because of the significance of what he’s trying to do. In their own words “The Committee attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons”. 

It’s essentially an endorsement of the President’s stance on disarmament and an encouragement to other world leaders to follow suit. Personally I agree with the committee. I think what they’ve done is unexpected but warranted, given the magnitude of the impact Obama’s efforts could have on the planet and the committee's clear desire to encourage the leaders of the world to support those efforts.

To those who think the President's efforts are naive or trivial, what better way to demonstrate the seriousness and importance of those efforts than the awarding of such an illustrious prize? The committee is being pro-active here. It's actively engaging in politics and far from denegrating, I think such a move enobles the prize.

I can see why others don't, but I  think it’s wholly appropriate for the peace prize to be awarded in a way that endorses and encourages efforts to move forward in an area as fundamentally important to the planet as nuclear disarmament. Well done to the committe for such a gutsy move and bravo Mr. president!

2. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

"Is it cos he is black" said Ali G!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)