What happened to the transparency?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (20 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

On September 24, Nancy Pelosi vowed to post the final version of the HC bill online for 72 hours before it was voted on. She's changed her mind. Why?? I would really love to read it.

1. starme77 profile image77
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The health care bill was put off on being voted oovoted on until tuesday because there are still not enough yes votes

1. starme77 profile image77
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oboma did it , he's trying to get enough votes before its voted on , really crooked if you ask me , but anyway thats what is going on

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Because she's a damned fascist.

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Because The Ghostbusters might zap her?

4. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Hello habee,

What elese is new? These people as as transparent as mud. They don't want anyone to know whats in the bill

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

It seems to me that if it were a really good bill, they would want all US citizens to read it. We might like it and support it. This action on Pelosi's part makes it look like they're ashamed of the legislation and don't want anyone to see it.

I do think we need to reform health care, but I would like to see the bill before it becomes law. Obama promised new bills would be posted online for 72 hours before a vote. He should make her do it! Unfortunately, she's running the show - not the POTUS. And believe me - A LOT more people like him than they do her! I think she makes BO look bad.

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Ryan, I think the Ghostbusters only zap republicans. lol

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Why are you posting this in the hubbers hangout and not in the Poltics forum. Some of us really try to avoid that forum and poltics at Hubpages.

Please respect that choice and keep political debate there.

1. TimTurner profile image69
      TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Someone is grumpy!

8. profile image0
    Ken R. Abellposted 14 years ago

The easy answer to the question is that transparency went the way of politics.  This is what professional politicians do.  Say all kinds of idealistic words, then do whatever is expedient at the time.

This latest one from Pelosi is sickening...but not at all surprising.  How long until she has to go back to the voters in her district?

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Ummm...gee, Nelle. The Hubbers' Hangout specifically says you can post anything you like here. So I did.

1. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are right, seems there's alot of religious debate here as well.  I guess I just don't go to those forums that disinterest me.  It is what it is.

10. UPStar profile image61
    UPStarposted 14 years ago

It would take a lot longer than 72 hours to read it. Oh.... and wait... the 800 ammendments added to it as well. So what would be the point?

11. Sandy Thorn profile image61
    Sandy Thornposted 14 years ago

Were you planning to read it?

1. UPStar profile image61
      UPStarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, but if i was a lawmaker I wouldn't vote on it unless I could, or knew I had a clear idea of what was in it

1. Sandy Thorn profile image61
        Sandy Thornposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The lawmakers have staff who read the bills, keep track of the proposed amendments, and summarize what's in it.  I'm pretty sure many if not most of the members of Congress don't personally read most of the bills, much less the average citizen.  However, I do agree that it should be available for citizens to read and comment on, and it is: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3962/show

Currently, an amendment has been proposed to strengthen assurances that no taxpayer money is used for abortions and to make the Hyde Amendment, which bans the use of such money, permanent.  IF that amendment is enacted, then it is possible that the official language won't be available for a full 72 hours before the vote.  However, a manager's amendment will be available, which is the final alteration lawmakers make to a bill before bringing it to the floor.

This happens all the time with large bills; there's nothing sneaky going on, it's just how the process works. 

If a citizen really wants to read the bill, it's online right now and has been since October 29.

12. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Their agenda is so important to them that the end justifies the means.

13. Stimp profile image60
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

Okay....and here's my joke for the day....you young folk won't get it...but we oldsters will...

what happened to transparencies?  They went out with the Ditto Machine...get it?  ditto Machine.

Oldsters....do you remember the purple ink still wet and sniffing it.

14. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

CNN pointed out that one of Obama's promises was to make a bill visible to the public FIVE days before voting.

This was one of his 15 promises that he has not kept so far.

I don't trust this guy or his administration for the life of me.  He is shady or just inexperienced.  Maybe both.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)