jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Public Forum

1. 0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

Mother Nature is inherently violent.  We are her children.  I don't see much need for ANY sort of hierarchy to encourage violence.  Therefore, I don't see living in a world free of the threat of violence as any sort of challenge at all but as an absolute pipe dream born of wishful thinking and denial worthy of a head-in-the-sand ostrich.

What I do see as a challenge (whether or not "the greatest" challenge) is to learn to survive in not just a violent world but what is actually a warring Universe.

1. manlypoetryman profile image69
      manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes Ghost...what you say is a sad truth...and a true part of reality. Somehow...some way...we must stand for peace...and resolution...if only to catch our breath...and save at least one person's life. We owe it to our children to fight for "Peace"...however temporary it may be....so that some of them will not have to go off to War.

Standing up for Peace...is as noble...as preparing to survive and/or stand and fight...because someone might just save a life or two in the process. Also...Peace should never come at a price in lives...or spoken out against the ones (the troops) who go out to serve in might against violent forces for the sake of a nation!

True Peace is when both sides (or humans that attack other humans) lay down their weapons for good...which in and of itself is a myth...and the reason you noted in this thread that there will always be violence amongst ourselves...a pity!

2. wyanjen profile image86
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

I agree, Ghost.
    A world without violence will never happen. The same is true for world peace.

Nature is inherently violent as you say, and those who do not fight do not survive.
    Ugly, naked truth.

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As a survivalist I have to agree.  Always be prepared!

3. 0
    Scott.Lifeposted 6 years ago

Nature is violent but not in a wasteful sense, Humans alone kill for pleasure or sport. As long as man rules the world then it will be filled with violence in some way shape or form, the magnitude of war and its destruction may wane in the future but only if we find a new outer threat to turn our aggression towards.

In removing ourselves from the food chain so to speak humans also removed a natural outlet for our aggression and violent tendencies. We are often shocked by our own capacity for harm and violence because we have forgotten that in the whole scheme of biology Human beings are at their nature predators, and killers. everything about our physical make-up points towards a species predisposed to predation and killing. It is no mistake that the most intelligent and cunning of nature's species are meat eaters with developed brains binocular vision and well developed senses to both run down and stalk prey.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

What about those who still hunt and kill animals for food?

1. Pearldiver profile image87
      Pearldiverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Have You re-educated your pets on that issue Habee? hmm

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, they make me do all the hunting. They're lazy couch taters!

1. h.a.borcich profile image59
          h.a.borcichposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL - My cat at least kills spiders and dust bunnies smile

2. Paradise7 profile image87
          Paradise7posted 6 years ago in reply to this

There's positive and negative energies and forces in human beings, all living things, and the whole universe.  The pets already got it--they have the instincts to respond with affection for affection, and will go after their natural enemies as they were engineered to do.

We'd be better off as humans if we swing towards the positive, peaceful, non-violent side of the balance.  But, like everyone is saying, GOOD LUCK TO US ALL WITH THAT!

2. 0
      Scott.Lifeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hunting for food and butchering women for thrills is not the same, as I said, we have removed ourselves from our natural hunting arena, yet the urge remains, it drives competition and business, wealth and prosperity. We have taken that predatory nature and drive and channeled it towards other pursuits quite well, yet there are always those few who can not control that impulse or should I say chose not to. Even more shocking instead of turning this killing instinct towards prey animals they turn it towards other people. In nature animals rarely kill their own except in cases of insuring a bloodline or in extreme starvation.