If Some One Killed A family Member Would You Seek Justice Or Revenge?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Leo Starrs profile image57
    Leo Starrsposted 13 years ago

If some one killed your child/spouse/parent(s) would you seek justice or revenge?

I personaly think an eye for an eye if it was premeditated or while commiting a crime but if it were an accident I would just seek justice...

I think I can probably foresee that most smart people will want revenge, while liberals will call for justice, but it will be interesting to see if I am right...

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your talking about why terrorists happen - right ?

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if it were an accident i would seek justice but if it were caused by negligence i would seek punitive damages as well.

but if someone deliverately killed i can't even say the words then i would turn into a killer very quickly and seek revenge.

i'm a good shot!

and i have never understood the belief that you have to forgive the person who killed your loved one before you can move on with your life.

REALLY?

so i guess the survivors of the victims of charles manson and oj simpson would be all happy and serene if they just forgave them.

that makes no sense at all. you can move on with your life without factoring a murdering scumbag into the equation.

1. profile image0

You have hit the nail on the head with this - if someone kills for no real reason, like Manson, surely they are insane, like Manson ?  Killing them is the same faulty principle as beating a mentally ill child who sh*ts themself.

On the other hand maybe we rate human life too highly and killing dangerous people is economical and sensible way to protect society that includes our children etc ?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And, as I said to the OP, then you would now be a murderer, you  would be in jail and your family would have lost another member. Would it then be okay for their family member to seek revenge on you?

I don't know how people can forgive but many of them do and feel they have to to go on with their lives.

Anyway, I've never experienced this and I hope I never have to.

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i could live with that if someone committed the unspeakable. the idea is so horrible to me i can't even type the words. yes, i would spend the rest of my life behind bars if i got to take out the person who snuffed the life of someone i love beyond reason. it probably does make me a murderer too, but, meh...

also, i feel that forgiving the murderer is a betrayal of the person they killed, especially if the person is an innocent child who was tortured and molested. but i think a person could move on from that (maybe) without having to forgive the fiend who brought that upon them, that's the only point i was making.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Maybe it is a betrayal, maybe it isn't. We don't know. That person is dead, nothing you can do or feel will bring them back.

And, like I said, I never want to be in that situation.

Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Why bother to ask the question if you've already made up your mind and will judge others on what they say?

3. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

"I think I can probably foresee that most smart people will want revenge, while liberals will call for justice, but it will be interesting to see if I am right..."

Let's see if I understand your position clearly. 'Smart people' are conservatives which makes liberals dumb in your worldview. And the 'smart people' will ignore the law and seek revenge and only dumb people will identify with 'justice'.

Whoever you are, do keep posting. You make a better argument for the liberal position than I ever could.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

If someone killed a family member would you seek justice or revenge?

As much as, I would like to believe "justice" over "revenge" to the situation, however, the discerned truth is that "justice" IS "revenge", dressed up to give the little people a false sense of feeling about the loss of a member of their family.

An eye-for-an-eye, is equated to nothing much, because the highest moral ground in a civilized society is to not take the life of anyone at all. Since, we do not live in a civilized society, both do not actually exist other than as an illusion, enforced by those in power.

It is obvious, the world doesn't work on the highest moral ground nor do people of the world truly understand morality, so with that said, I would not seek either.

5. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

If I had a child and they were deliberately killed - there could be no justice.  See the person locked up or sentenced to death would bring me no solace.  My mind would probably churn over thoughts of revenge, but I wouldn't carry it out.  Why not?  Because I really don't like the thought of being sent to a prison.  People who lose their children and loved ones talk about the life sentence and yes if that happened to me I'm sure I would experience such feelings but I would rather struggle with that mental prison than a physical one as well.

6. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

So, it is your position that smart people (i.e., conservatives) would choose an eye for an eye, which means they would likely end up in prison, inflicting additional horror and agony upon their families who are already suffering from the death of a loved one, and leaving them to live their lives without their emotional and/or financial support.

Conversely, liberals (not the smart people) would choose justice, which would likely result in the offender spending life in prison, while the liberals (you know, the dumb people) would spend their remaining lives supporting and loving their families and content in the knowledge that the offender is behind bars.

Did I get that right?

7. Leo Starrs profile image57

I never said libtards are dumb, you liberals love to play the 'victim' game. In your leftist thought, everyone is always oppressing someone or something.

"If Leo Starrs kills the murderer, how will we be able to read the murderer his rights?" The amazing brain of a liberal...

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i do not want anybody to be in that position, but for me if something like that happened I would be looking first for justice, and if justice failed then old fashioned revenge might be handy.

8. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

I would most certainly seek revenge!

Of course you would Sab Oh

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What?

2. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um, why are you addressing comments to me before I had posted anything on this thread?

???

I'm sorry, I assumed Jim was one of your sockpuppets. Sorry for any offense.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
            Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no "one of." I have only one account and screen name.

9. Leo Starrs profile image57

I own a .45 caliber pistol with "Justice" engraved on the slide and if you take what really matters to me, I will show you what realy matters. I would want justice served and quickly, not like the death penalty has become in the United States, some twenty years after the crime was committed in the first place. It is only under a perverted legal system that justice is not revenge and a delayed punishment is actually an encouragment to crime.

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Had just such a situation. Off duty cop, who was intoxicated, and , admitted to texting his girlfriend, turned left, into a crosswalk, hitting two middle-aged women pedestrians, who had the "right of way" killing one of them. My sister. Justice in this case was thwarted by the very police department that investigated. He can't be a cop anymore, but only served 6 mos, and his driving privileges were suspended for that six mos.  Revenge, while a base instinct in this case, would have been preferable in ways, but hot revenge (in anger) is seldom the tastiest. Revenge IS better, served COLD. No threats here, just an observation.

Then I hope you won't mind spending the rest of your life in jail and leaving your family with two less members.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My mother tried her darned best to kill me when I was two and a half years old (I've written a hub about it so won't elaborate here.)
        I guess that gives me a unique perspective in this discussion since I am a "survivor".
        And personally, I want revenge. I don't talk to her anymore but deep down I'm hoping that one day I can show the world what she's really like - not the person everyone loves because "She gets sick sometimes but doesn't know what she's doing & is a lovely person" when in fact she can lie about anything.
        I personally think the only thing that would make me feel better about her evil existance in the world is her death. But I'm sure with the history I have with her and what I know of pop psychology, that won't cure me, either.

3. profile image0

I think you might have psychopathic tendencies and should seek medical help before you start roaming the streets with your gun with justice on the side.  or maybe you have been watching too many B rated movies ?

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I really think that seeking revenge only hurts you. I saw a wonderful documentary on people who have lost loved ones to murder talking about this. They did not want revenge and some actually could forgive the murderer (that I don't think I could do). It was the only way they could go on with their lives.

First, what is with the sab oh comment?

Secondly, If someone killed a loved one of mine I would want revenge, actually doing something to get revenge is another matter entirely.

Recently I read a story of a man who killed a police officer in 1978 and was sentenced to death, there were 3 trials and every jury found him guilty. He was finally executed last month after 32 years, but not before a lengthy discussion on what good his execution would do.

This criminal/murderer was given every bit of justice the law provides for, but the slain officer, well, he is just a footnote to the story!

That is not justice.

Just trying to figure out who you are.

I'm Jim Hunter, I assumed that would have been obvious, guess not.

Are you planning on writing a hub?

Why yes I am, I am in the middle of one, a how to hub. Is it a prerequisite to joining this site to write a hub? Do I have a time limit? Are you in charge of making sure hubs are written?

Just curious since the forum is for hubpages writers smile I look forward to reading it.

I hope to be done soon, some in depth research is required and I am blowing off steam in the forum.

11. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I always think I am a peaceful person but if someone harmed someone near and dear to me, I don't think I could be so peaceful.  I would like to believe that I would seek justice - I would devote myself to bringing the 'perp' to a non-happy ending but would that be enough?  You'd have to be in the situation I suppose before you could actually know how you would feel or what you would do.  I pray I am never in the situation of having to deal with it. I know I have a horrific temper if I am pushed far enough and that is what worries me I guess.  I would hope that revenge would not be something I would 'lower' myself to but as I say, people do strange things when their hearts are broken.

12. Froggy213 profile image62
    Froggy213posted 13 years ago

Some of you don't some do know our story--if interested, read my latest hubs , but I have been in this predicament for the last 3 years.
    I have sought justice and none yet has come.
    Revenge sounds sweet, but is it really an answer??
    Nothing but God can bring Jonathan back, but he lives on in my memory forever.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)