What Do You Think About the Mosque Being Built In NY?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. jordanc.terrell profile image60
    jordanc.terrellposted 13 years ago

This was previously a question but I turned it into a Form..

Springboard profile image
    Springboard says

I think it is a terrible idea. I also think it speaks volumes about the Muslim religion that they have no understanding of the very sensitivity of this for Americans that they would not stand against this as well. Consider that some years back in San Ysidro, CA a man walked into a McDonald's restaurant and started shooting. The restaurant was ultimately torn down and a monument was put up to honor the victims. Putting up a mosque at ground zero would be akin to putting up a statue of the shooter at that McDonald's. The fact that ANY American would see this as a reaching out to the Muslim faith greatly troubles me.

My Response

So you have the Idea that all Muslims are Terrorists? What if these terrorists were Christian and they were to build a church near ground zero, would this still worry people? I think that the fact that a lot of Americans have a problem with it. It says that the Terrorists have won. You see people on T.V. Screaming at the meetings at other Muslim Americans, basically calling them Terrorists. This really really sickens me and when it comes to them, It embarrasses me that they are Americans.

The country was built on freedom of religion. And because some Anti-American radical dipshits run a plane into some buildings we should just forget that? I think not...

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
      I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I don't have any problem at all with it. It's in lower Manhattan, but it's not like it's on the Ground Zero site. There are many mosques in NYC, this is just a new one that happens to be near the site of the WTC. The fact is, there are many Muslims living in that area, and they were in no way connected to the 9/11 attacks.

Would people have a problem with a Christian church being built in Oklahoma City near the site of the federal building blown up by Timothy McVeigh because he associated himself with Christianity? Even as I sit here writing this as an Agnostic, I think we have a distorted view of Islam in this country. They aren't all united in one cause against Jews and Christians. Islamic terrorist groups have little or no connection to most Muslims living in the United States, just as most Christians have no connection to the KKK or the John Birch Society.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

More evidence that a belief in an invisible super being is guaranteed to cause a fight. sad

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/48212

3. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I think that Springboard was trying to say that the feelings of the victims' families should take the highest priority--whatever their feelings might be. And I have to say that I agree with him/her.

4. jordanc.terrell profile image60
      jordanc.terrellposted 13 years ago

Yes the victims' families feelings are on the highest priority. But They need to realize that not all Muslims are Terrorists. Muslims died that day too.

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally disagree with you. I don't think the victims' families need to do anything other than grieve for the loved ones that they lost. I think they are entitled to feel and believe whatever they want to, no matter how convoluted it may seem to everyone else.

And I, for one, wouldn't even begin to guess what they are feeling. For all I know, they're all in favor of the mosque.

jordanc.terrellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok you're right they don't NEED to do anything but grieve. But as citizens of the greatest country on earth. People need to realize why America is so Great. It is because of all our Freedoms and our Freedoms should not exclude any religion of building a cultural center, mosque or church.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOLOLOLO

1. Misha profile image62
              Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's how public education works, Mark tongue

Still pretty funny though. lol

And he wants a Mosque as well.

1. Misha profile image62

I believe mosques have schools, too. Medrese? Pretty much like church schools smile

So - he is a terrorist then? lol

1. Misha profile image62

You never know - until he strikes lol

2. jordanc.terrell profile image60

Please Enlighten me since my public school lacked in education.

5. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years ago

Building a mosque even if it's not actually on the ground zero site, but near it, I think is still taking the piss and should'nt even be considered, why not another area of New York!!?

I think if it were built by ground zero it would a symbol of "Fuck YOU We're not Afraid", To the radicals.  That would strip the radicals of what they want and that is to Terrorize. I feel it would also help the tolerance of other religions to the massive community of New York City. This is something needed in America.
        I went to Egypt for a 3 month stay and I had people ask me if I met any Al-Qeada or terrorists when I was over there.  The people who do the bombings for such organizations are uneducated as are the Americans that think all Muslims are terrorists.

1. Sab Oh profile image57
          Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is worth taking the time to consider how our enemies think as well as how we'd like to flatter our own values (not to mention our various political axes to grind).

6. lightning john profile image59
      lightning johnposted 13 years ago

Money talks bulls..t walks!  The people with the money will do what ever they want where they want.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)