More proof of Republican cluelessness

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1110/111810a1.htm

A bill to increase telecommuting by government employees is heading to our POTUS.

Republicans are of course against it.  That's so typical of their underlying fear and suspicion: somebody might be getting away with something, somebody might abuse the system, oh gosh awful things MIGHT happen..

Never mind the traffic it woud save. Never mind that employees facing hours of commuting just might do a better job at home.  Never mind that the people who will be able to do more of this are usually judged on results and don't need anyone looking over their shoulders while they work.

No, forget all that, because Republicans (and some Democrats) are always afraid that somebody is trying to fool or cheat them somehow.

You know what six decades of living have taught me about those who worry you might cheat them?  Those are the people who WILL cheat YOU.  That's why they worry - they think the rest of us are just like they are.

This is a good bill. It will save money, increase morale and produce better results.

1. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a bad bill. One that was stripped of neccessary regulations. CBO states it will cost 30 MILLION EXTRA over the next 5 years. However it does appear to be "DEFICIT" nuetral. The bill includes travel cost chareable the government for required "face time". I can just see it now, maditory meeting that happens to coincide with the annual christmast party......

No doubt telecommuting can save money. However it has to be implimented carefully and correctly. Much of the data used in Government Services is Sensitive Unclass. This often includes  Personally Identifiable Information(PII). The hardware required to secure many isolated networks of one would be very expesive to set up, let alone maintain.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Just fire em all and let the private system hammer out the kinks. That'll save some money, and any corruption will be immediately punished through the profit loss system.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.thehermit.info/images/hermit2.gif

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ron, if your only argument is that I'm alone in my statements, then you're complementing me. I'm proud that I'm against the grain on my own sticking to his point of view.

Until you can actually argue against me, then thank you for the compliment

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Why don't we do that?  Farm out all government agencies so SOME RICH JERKS CAN PROFIT FROM THEM.

Yes, as usual, your ideas make the most sense of anything ever posted anywhere.  You should run for Congress!

NO!!! NOT PROFIT!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The other day... i taught a child.... FOR PROFIT!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA MY EVIL PLAN HAS SUCCEEDED!! :

I increased my standard of living by HELPING my FELLOW MAN. ... we BOTH won!! We both got what we wanted - VOLUNTARILY -- but it was...

FOR PROFIT!!! MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MWAHAHAHHAA

3. profile image57
      niall.tubbsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

I'm trying to understand what you wrote.

But I must insist that privatization is the OPPOSITE of slavery. People can't become slaves unless they VOLUNTARILY agree to be a slave under a private system.

Competition is the only way to counter Greed in a way that benefits humanity.

4. EPman profile image61
      EPmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No Evan we NEED government.

Don't you know if some guy is rich it's because GOVERNMENT wasn't there soon enough to stop his corrupted practices?

Don't you know that anybody who is rich is a jerk and a noob?

So what if government intervention always makes worse of the problems they had originally sought out to fix? What's the big deal if the evidence of government failure is all around us? Who cares if our economic woes can almost always be traced back to Washington?

Don't you know it's REALLY all Bush's fault?

The tea-baggers are a bunch of haxors. Lower taxes? Psh they favor the rich.

It REALLY is all Bush's fault!

People believe in capitalism because Fox News lies to them, not because it actually works. DUH.

good use of the terms "noob" and "haxors", my good sir!

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Wait! Where's John McCain? Why isn't he demanding that studies be done, and that any studies that are done be examined to make sure they are the RIGHT kind of studies?
    I mean, you can't just implement a policy change that affects employee morale (or might) without studying it to death first!
    Yep. I think we need to call John McCain into this whole thing.
    Get the bill tied up for at least 2 years (we all know why that is the magic number). Then the Republicans can implement it -- along with repealing "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" -- and take the full credit after obfuscating.

But first, this bill needs a catchy name so that the Fox newsboys can impugn it properly. Any suggestions????

4. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

if govt workers are going to telecommute then they need to reduce their pay and benefits..just like the non govt workers...

5. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Without any politics at all, I gave up buying politics a while back, can I just say I think telecommuting is a GOOD thing. I like working from home... when I can.  It's more civilised and more sensible than driving in order to sit at a desk very similar to the one I have at home.

Do you know you can also make phone calls from home and even answer email?  For me that is about 98% of my working day covered. Apart from those so precious water-cooler moments.

Sorry.  Go back to your politics.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)