Keeping Up With The Presidential Race Polls Trump Verses Biden

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (65 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image80
    Sharlee01posted 8 months ago

https://hubstatic.com/16668967_f1024.jpg

Disapproval ratings. Aug 16, 2023

Trump holds a rating of 55.9
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po … ald-trump/

Biden holds a rating of 54.4
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/bi … al-rating/

Today (August 16th)  I ask  ---  Do you think Trump's indictments will affect the polls?

I created this thread as a space for discussing the upcoming polls related to the Presidential race. My intention is to delve into poll statistics, rather than rehashing the numerous legal issues surrounding Trump, which are widely acknowledged and being actively debated in other threads here on HP's political forum.

2. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 8 months ago

The thing that could affect the poll numbers is if cameras are allowed into courtrooms.  If the American people can hear the evidence first-hand, that is going to be damning.  If the media gets to spin it, then Trump could maintain.  If the US continues to be the best among G7 nations, Biden has something to hang his hat on with Independents.  MAGA will always blame Biden, and ignore the other factors that led to inflation, so they are a lost cause on that front.

Sharlee01posted 8 months agoin reply to this

All understandable solid points.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 months ago

* "versus," not "verses."

Thank you did not catch that.  I think I have been making the same mistake frequently. Your heads-up is sure to work next time around I will be making the right choice.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 8 months agoin reply to this

Yes, I read that. But I don't see it then. Thanks, FatFreddyCat.

4. Sharlee01 profile image80

There have never been two candidates less popular or more likely to become their respective parties' nominees.

President Biden and former President Trump, leading the race in their respective party primaries for 2024, are virtually deadlocked in a potential face-off, as indicated by a recent poll.

According to the survey from Quinnipiac University, made public Aug16,  47 percent of those surveyed would back Biden, while 46 percent would throw their support behind Trump if they were hypothetically pitted against each other in a general election. Polls indicate among independent voters, 45 percent expressed their inclination towards him, compared to 41 percent favoring Trump.

In light of these options, many Americans might find themselves grappling with the dilemma of how to proceed. Are we, as citizens, left without a meaningful voice in this situation? Have the two major political parties ensnared us into a choice between two candidates who don't enjoy widespread popularity? Another "hold your nose vote"?

1. Willowarbor profile image61
      Willowarborposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Shouldn't this be the time that Republicans drop their support of Trump? How can a party legitimately support a candidate with so many indictments?  Such reprehensible behavior?
      How does the Republican Party stand mute when Trump fans the flames of anger with his rhetoric against judges and prosecutors? While his supporters level death threats and publish the addresses of grand jury members? This is unconscionable. It's certainly is not for the good of the country.
      Trump’s conditions of release at his arraignment in Washington earlier this month included a vow  which Trump swore to uphold,  that he would not intimidate or harass witnesses and officers of the court or threaten the administration of justice. He has done exactly that daily.  The possibility that his threats might silence potential witnesses, or that his rants might intimidate jurors, prosecutors and judges, cannot be dismissed. He is also having a more insidious effect. By casting the criminal justice system as corrupt and partisan, as part of a conspiracy to prevent him from being re-elected, He is undermining public trust in that system.
      Where is the integrity of the Republican Party these days? To sit by and let Trump harass witnesses and officers of the court or threaten the administration of justice.  Kudos to the few in the party that have spoken out but the rest look spineless. And why? Even as reprehensible as Trump is, he represents their only chance at holding power. They're choosing power over integrity. Even Trump's primary challengers stand by and pathetically repeat his rhetoric.  I have no respect for any of them.  Anything that Biden may or may not have done pales in comparison to Trump and the Republicans that continue to enable his destructive behavior. For me it's an easy choice. I've never been one to have bought into Trump's lies, persecution complex, victim hood and  constant whining.  I also have a strong feeling that if Trump would back away (which he obviously will not) or if the Republican Party would finally acknowledge the reality of his situation, we would see Biden stepping aside to reveal a new slate of contenders. 

An aside, why is no one in the Republican Party or even Trump himself speaking out against the threats of violence being made? Particularly the most recent death threat made toward Judge Chutkan?
      In my view, this is wholly unacceptable.

It's clear that the comment you shared reflects your views, and strong concerns about the Republican Party's continued support for Donald Trump, especially in the face of numerous indictments and what's perceived by some as reprehensible behavior.  While the sentiment expressed is passionate, it's important to address a very opposite view, mime. Which I feel comes from a balanced perspective:
        The issue of whether Republicans should drop their support for Trump is a very complex one. His supporters might argue that he brought about certain policy successes, such as tax cuts and deregulation, and more --  that align with conservative principles. However, critics contend that his behavior and actions are inconsistent with the values of the party and the nation. Many Americans just do not agree with that line of thought.

While it's true that Trump is faced with legal challenges due to the multiple indictments, it's important to remember that the legal process presumes innocence until proven guilty.   Supporters argue that allegations against Trump are politically motivated or that he deserves his day in court like any other citizen.  Additionally, people may be drawn to his unfiltered communication style, even though it might be seen as divisive by some.

Concerns about Trump's rhetoric inciting anger and threats may also be valid in many cases, but some supporters may view his direct and confrontational communication as refreshing compared to traditional politicians.   It's worth noting that public figures on both sides of the political spectrum have been known to make inflammatory statements. I could certainly list many incidents from prior presidents. In my view, that would certainly be just adding fuel to a fire that is unnecessary, due to it is obvious we are on different sides of the fence.

Media critics highlight how Trump's claims about a corrupt justice system could erode public trust. I  might argue that skepticism about institutions is not unique to Trump and that it's healthy for citizens to question the system's fairness. "We the people", and all that...

The criticism of the Republican Party's integrity is a matter of perspective. Some Republicans might argue that sticking with Trump is a strategic move to maintain influence and achieve policy goals, while critics see it as prioritizing power over principles.

While some might view Trump's primary challengers as repeating his rhetoric, others could argue that primary campaigns often involve attacking the incumbent's weaknesses.

The assertion that Biden's actions pale in comparison to Trump's is subjective. Different people prioritize different issues and may weigh actions differently. I certainly do. (I have been a witness to his entire career. So yes, I hold a biased attitude in regard to Biden.

I will admit, I will be voting Republican no matter who is the candidate. I feel the country is on the wrong path and needs to clean the Democrats out of the White House.  I also have shared here on HPs that I would prefer to see two brand new candidates that would have less baggage, and yes younger.  I think starting fresh would benefit America in the long run. I appreciated Trump's job performance, and actually feel he will go down as one of my favorites in that regard.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
          Kathryn L Hillposted 7 months agoin reply to this

He needs to come back. Period.

Sharlee01posted 7 months agoin reply to this

I  hope you read the latest WAPO polls  ---  My faith is in the American people.   https://www.aol.com/news/troubles-biden … 25185.html

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
        Kathleen Cochranposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Willowarbor: Polls are not votes. Many party loyalists will respond to a poll in the way they feel they are expected to respond. But in the sanctuary of the voting booth they will follow their conscience. Seven million more of them did that in 2020, and at that point Trump hadn't done anything indictable - that we knew of.

3. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 8 months agoin reply to this

"How can a party legitimately support a candidate with so many indictments?"

Perhaps it is because Conservatives understand the difference between "accused" and "guilty"?

"This is unconscionable."

You mean like liberals picketing (attempting to influence their verdict) and threatening SCOTUS judges?

"Trump’s conditions of release at his arraignment in Washington earlier this month included a vow  which Trump swore to uphold,  that he would not intimidate or harass witnesses and officers of the court or threaten the administration of justice."

Try as I might, I can find nothing in the Presidential oath of office that says anything about harassing witness or court officers.  Is this just your imagination or are you "interpreting" something somewhere that lets you say such a thing?

"Even as reprehensible as Trump is, he represents their only chance at holding power."

I do seem to recall the same thing a few years ago, when liberals fawned all over a woman who was just as corrupt and reprehensible as Trump ever was.  So much so that the majority of the country voted for her - do you not allow others to take the same steps?

"For me it's an easy choice."

I tend to understand that; you are not concerned with the needs of the country and will thus convict Trump without a trial and put a man back into the office that has made great strides of destruction throughout the country.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image78

"you are not concerned with the needs of the country"

Assumptions like this one lower the level of debate on this site.

2. wilderness profile image96

Will 2024 be the year an independent finally gets the White House?

I think it could be. I mean if these past few years have taught me a lot about human nature, and I can see an independent winning in 2024.

U.S. elections tend to follow historical patterns, with voters often gravitating towards the two major parties due to party loyalty, ideological alignment, and agenda/policies.

We have a perfect storm brewing --- Both parties are somewhat split, and we see ideologies that are too far left, possibly too far left for many Dems. And Republicans have no liking for the left's doctrines whatsoever. I would also think many Americans are fed up with the status quo we see coming out of Washington.  I mean if one stands back shacks the cobwebs out and takes a good look at the choices we may be given, might just say --- not this time.

1. wilderness profile image96

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but if I had to cast a vote tomorrow I would either stay home or vote for an independent that I may have never heard of.

As far as I'm concerned neither Democrat nor Republican candidate is fit to hold office.

I see your point. But, do ya want Biden in office 4 more, in reality?  It would be wonderful if an independent would step up. But unlikely. We need your vote.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Yes, wilderness, is a senior or elder citizen. He must vote Rep or Dem when no Independent candidate is available. He must exercise his franchise. I'm an outsider.

5. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 8 months ago

Majority of Americans Say Trump Charges Have Merit, but His G.O.P. Grip Grows

Recent polls conducted before the Georgia indictment showed that most believed that the prosecutions of the former president were warranted.

A majority of Americans, in four recent polls, said Mr. Trump’s criminal cases were warranted. Most were surveyed before a grand jury in Georgia indicted him over his attempts to subvert the 2020 election, but after the federal indictment related to Jan. 6.

At the same time, Mr. Trump still holds a dominant lead over the crowded field of Republicans who are challenging him for the party’s 2024 presidential nomination, including Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, who continues to slide.

The polls — conducted by Quinnipiac University, The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, ABC News/Ipsos and Fox News — showed that Americans remain divided along party lines over the dozens of criminal charges facing Mr. Trump.

In the Quinnipiac poll, 54 percent of registered voters said Mr. Trump should be prosecuted for trying to overturn the 2020 election. And seven out of 10 voters said that anyone convicted of a felony should no longer be eligible to be president.

Half of Americans, but only 20 percent of Republicans, said that Mr. Trump should suspend his presidential campaign, according to the ABC News/Ipsos poll.  This poll, which surveyed American adults, was the only one of the four surveys conducted entirely after Mr. Trump’s indictment in Georgia. When specifically asked by ABC about the Georgia case, 63 percent said the latest criminal charges against Mr. Trump were “serious.”

About half of Americans said that Mr. Trump’s interference in the election in Georgia was illegal, according to the AP/NORC poll.

When asked by Fox News whether Mr. Trump had engaged in illegal activity to overturn the 2020 election, 53 percent of registered voters said yes. But just 13 percent of Republicans shared that view.

Fifty-three percent of U.S. adults said that they approved of the Justice Department’s decision to bring charges against Mr. Trump for his attempts to reverse his electoral defeat in 2020, The A.P. found.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/us/p … polls.html

If  Trump is the GOP candidate, it seems like it is going to be a 2020 (and 2016 too, really) repeat. A "majority" of republicans want him, but the majority of the country want nothing to do with him.

6. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 8 months ago

Anyone but Trump.  And I'm good with Biden as the United States is leading the world in recovery from the Covid pandemic and he surrounds himself with qualified people for when his health is sure to become an issue.

Could not agree more. Whatever "good" Trump did during his term, his actions after have been beyond the pale.

7. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 8 months ago

These polls are battle royal. The ultimate is the 'we the people' votes. That can be either a landslide or a mudslide for the respective candidate, come 2024.

"a landslide or a mudslide"

Well said.

8. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 months ago

"Not surprisingly, the partisan gaps were enormous — 95% of Democrats think Trump should be criminally prosecuted for his post-defeat efforts, 85% of Republicans do not — but the survey results found that independents are not siding with the former president: By a 57%-to-37% margin, Quinnipiac found independent voters agreeing that Trump should be prosecuted."

From the latest national polling report from Quinnipiac University.

Kathleen

I checked out the Q polls, all very interesting. I found this poll got me really thinking --- what is going on... It shows that after the indictments Trump has truely gained speed.

"2024 GENERAL ELECTION
      In a hypothetical general election matchup between President Biden and former President Trump, Biden receives 47 percent support and Trump receives 46 percent support among all registered voters, essentially a dead heat. While Quinnipiac University polls this year have consistently shown a close race between Biden and Trump, this one-point difference is the tightest the race has been this year. Last month, Biden had his biggest edge over Trump 49 - 44 percent.

BIDEN
      Registered voters give President Biden a negative 39 - 55 percent job approval rating, similar to Quinnipiac University's July poll.

Among all Americans, President Biden receives a negative 37 - 56 percent job approval rating, also similar to July.

Americans were asked about Biden's handling of...

the response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine: 42 percent approve, while 51 percent disapprove;
      the economy: 36 percent approve, while 58 percent disapprove;
      foreign policy: 35 percent approve, while 55 percent disapprove.

ECONOMY
      Nearly 3 in 10 Americans (28 percent) describe the state of the nation's economy these days as either excellent (3 percent) or good (25 percent), while more than 7 in 10 Americans (71 percent) describe it as either not so good (34 percent) or poor (37 percent).

More than half of Americans (51 percent) think the nation's economy is getting worse, 28 percent think it's staying about the same, and 20 percent think it's getting better.

Sixty percent of Americans describe their financial situation these days as either excellent (10 percent) or good (50 percent), while 38 percent describe it either as not so good (26 percent) or poor (12 percent).
      https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3877

So is all the above pulling Biden's polls down? While perhaps Trump is gaining due to his base, and Republicans are just so dissatisfied with Biden's economy and all-around job performance. -  As appears to be most of the Nation.   The polls being so even with all that is going on seems very odd to me.

Shar

"It shows that after the indictments Trump has truely gained speed."

And do you not stop and ask yourself, "What does that say about the judgement of those people?"  Is that any way to respond to a man who is being criminally charged multiple times? At what point do you have to question your own character when you jump to the aid of a person facing that many indictments?

I hold the belief in the importance of presuming innocence until guilt is proven. In the case of whether Trump is guilty or not, I believe there is ample time to patiently await the unfolding of truth. It's likely that the trials will be made accessible through television coverage. I am hopeful that, as the evidence is presented from both perspectives, I will be able to thoughtfully form my own conclusions.

To address your comment further and touch on all your questions. Firstly, to repeat, the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" is a cornerstone of our legal system. While facing multiple criminal charges might seem alarming, it's essential to remember that individuals are entitled to a fair trial and a defense, regardless of the number of charges. Questioning the character of those who offer support doesn't necessarily take into account the complexity of their thoughts and motivations.

Plus keep in mind, that people might rally behind Trump not because they condone criminal behavior, but because they believe in due process, the right to a defense, or perhaps they question the validity of some charges. It's possible to support a person's right to a fair trial without directly endorsing their actions.

Additionally, characterizing those who provide support as lacking in judgment or moral standing, in my view,  oversimplifies the situation. People's decisions to stand by Trump can be influenced by personal experiences, political affiliations, or even a desire to see justice served through a proper legal process.

While your skepticism is reasonable, it's crucial to acknowledge that the decision to support an individual facing multiple charges is multifaceted and not always indicative of a lapse in judgment or questionable character. I personally find this is a very complex issue.

Shar, I'm in complete agreement with you.                                                  I'm not not a lawyer. But I once worked for 25 ydars, in the  Ministry Of Justice, or what you Americans called the DOJ for short.                                      Seriously, I did read law as part of my civic duties, and further as furthering my career as an Administrative Officer.                                      Seriously again, no matter how you accused and charge a person for the millions of crime committed, the Courts always had in mind the doctrine of innocency above anything else. Untill the accusation is proved 'beyond reasonably doubts', then the Courts can held the judgement of finding the accuse guilty. Critically, should the accuse plead guily at first instant, the  Courts will judicially invoked innocency.                                    Oddly, many here are not thinking in such terms. All they see is Trump is guilty. I pity such folks.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69

I still maintain as I said that the 2024 presidential race, between Trump and Biden, is a battle royal.                                    But my fear is that the Dem are doing everything to dig up dirty against Trump.                                 That gives me an idea...would it be the reason as a counter attact, for the Rep to start think about impeacgng Biden?                                              Politics aside, political parties aside, personal opinions aside, my prayer; God save America! Amen.

9. Sharlee01 profile image80

Appears most of America thinks Biden is too old to do the job.
    "More Than Three-Quarters of Americans Say Biden Would Be Too Old to Be Effective If Reelected"

Trump's indictments: Polling shows half of Americans want him to suspend his campaign and more takeaways

Yet we have this. Over half of Americans want Trump to run...

"Trump's indictments: Polling shows half of Americans want him to suspend his campaign and more takeaways"
    Yet we have this ---   
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trumps- … undecided.

"The Associated Press-NORC poll found that 77% of Americans say Biden is too old to carry out a second term. While an unsurprising 89% of Republicans expressed the sentiment, an impressive 69% of Democrats also say Biden is no longer up to the task, according to the poll."
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/overwh … poll-finds

Would appear he is holding the attention of more than his base.

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 8 months agoin reply to this

The last link is not available.

Thanks for the heads up. I have corrected the link.
        https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trumps- … undecided.

2. Willowarbor profile image61
      Willowarborposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Biden too old? Trump is only a few years younger and is morbidly obese.  I think the public should know sooner than later who he plans to nominate for  his VP.

Thank you. Some talk about Trump as if he was middle aged. They are both senior citizens. Age is not a factor. As I've said before, I'm less concerned with President Biden's slips of the tongue than I am with what Trump says on purpose.

2. Sharlee01 profile image80

Yes, Trump is also elderly. Wonder what is in the general public's minds. Seems the polls don't indicate that worry.

He should share who he would like his VP to be. I agree.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Would to God the GOP nominated Trump, for the presidential poll?                               Would this happen during the electoral campaign and the trial period?                                      What should happen if Trump, won the presidency again, and he was subsequently found guilty? Would he risk jail for the Oval Office? I'm wondering.

Trump has claimed he will not drop out, and if he wins, that would be something America has never had to deal with. I am not sure at all what would happen if he won, and yet was sentenced to prison.

Age is a sticky issue when it comes to presidents. I mean should we discriminate or perhaps have a candidate be evaluated for cognitive skills?  I know some 90-year-olds who are healthy and sound of mind.

I almost think we need age limits.

1. peoplepower73 profile image89
          peoplepower73posted 8 months agoin reply to this

This was too good to pass up.  A picture is worth a thousand words.

https://open.substack.com/pub/counterpo … dium=email

Good one!   I think this is a great subject.  Some food for thought from my perspective.

The hesitation of many GOP candidates to directly confront Donald Trump despite the significant events surrounding his presidency may be attributed to a combination of strategic considerations.

Consider that the GOP now has a diverse coalition of supporters, and a significant portion of its base remains staunchly loyal to Trump.  By challenging Trump, candidates risk alienating this base, which could result in decreased voter turnout and support for the party.  In my view, some GOP candidates believe that they need Trump's endorsement and support to win, making them hesitant to criticize him openly.

In many cases, GOP candidates face primary elections where the most motivated and ideologically driven voters participate. These voters tend to be more aligned with Trump's agenda and are more likely to support candidates who align themselves closely with him. Candidates fear that openly criticizing Trump could make them vulnerable to more conservative challengers during the primary, even if such positions might hurt them in a general election.

Trump remains a highly polarizing figure with a significant media presence. Engaging in a public feud with him could result in an overwhelming amount of media attention, possibly overshadowing a candidate's policy positions and campaign message. Not sure anyone wants to get Trump attacking them.

Trump has a history of using his influence to actively campaign against those who speak out against him.  This could result in a candidate facing attacks from both Trump himself and his loyal supporters, which might harm their chances of success in an election. As you well know he goes for the throat...

I think they are smart by remaining silent and allowing legal processes to unfold, some GOP candidates may believe they can distance themselves from the legal issues and controversies associated with Trump. They might also be banking on public opinion gradually shifting away from Trump as more information comes to light.

Hey, I think It's important to note that not all GOP candidates are walking on eggshells regarding Trump.   No argument here. It is so apparent the GOP is walking on eggshells.

Shar, this is new information for me, regarding Trump. Thanks.

10. Sharlee01 profile image80

President Biden's age a significant concern for voters, polling shows

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch … 1792197768

11. Sharlee01 profile image80
    Sharlee01posted 7 months ago

Most Americans Believe Biden Meddled In His Son Hunter’s Business Dealings, Poll Finds
    https://hubstatic.com/16703284_f1024.jpg
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/saradorn/2 … 60c4034e79
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics … index.html

The CNN/SSRS poll found 61% of Americans believe Biden had at least some involvement in Hunter Biden’s financial endeavors in Ukraine and China while he served as vice president, indicating House Republicans’ various investigations into the matter are affecting voters’ psyches, despite no solid evidence that Biden broke the law or benefited from his son’s deals, as well as repeated denials from Biden.

Nearly half, 42%, believe Biden’s conduct surrounding his son’s business dealings was illegal, according to the poll of 1,503 adults (margin of error 3.5) conducted from August 25-31, before the Justice Department announced Wednesday it will seek an indictment against Hunter Biden on a gun charge unrelated to his father or his businesses.

Another 55% believe the president has acted inappropriately regarding the Justice Department investigation into Hunter Biden.

Concerns about Biden’s age have worsened since the group’s March poll, with just 26% of voters saying he has the stamina and sharpness to serve as president at age 80, down six points from March, while 76% said they’re seriously concerned that his age would negatively affect his ability to serve another full term if reelected.

The age-related apprehensions transcend partisan lines, with the majority of Democratic-aligned voters saying they worry it would affect his physical and mental competence, his ability to win the 2024 general election and his ability to serve another full term, while 49% said his age is their top concern about Biden.

Americans are deeply dissatisfied with the Biden presidency as a whole, with a record-low number saying he inspires confidence (28%, a seven-point decline since March) and 58% saying his policies have made economic conditions worse (up eight points since the fall).

12. Sharlee01 profile image80

CNN   https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics … index.html

"Record low share of Americans say Biden inspires confidence
    Views of Biden’s performance in office and on where the country stands are deeply negative in the new poll. His job approval rating stands at just 39%, and 58% say that his policies have made economic conditions in the US worse, up 8 points since last fall. Seventy percent say things in the country are going badly, a persistent negativity that has held for much of Biden’s time in office, and 51% say the government should be doing more to solve the nation’s problems.

Perceptions of Biden personally are also broadly negative, with 58% saying they have an unfavorable impression of him. Fewer than half of Americans, 45%, say that Biden cares about people like them, with only 33% describing him as someone they’re proud to have as president. A smaller share of the public than ever now says that Biden inspires confidence (28%, down 7 percentage points from March) or that he has the stamina and sharpness to serve effectively as president (26%, down 6 points from March), with those declines driven largely by Democrats and independents.

Roughly three-quarters of Americans say they’re seriously concerned that Biden’s age might negatively affect his current level of physical and mental competence (73%), and his ability to serve out another full term if reelected (76%), with a smaller 68% majority seriously concerned about his ability to understand the next generation’s concerns (that stands at 72% among those younger than 65, but just 57% of those 65 or older feel the same).

Most Democratic voters wish they had an alternative to Biden
    A broad 67% majority of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters now say it’s very or extremely likely that Biden will again be the party’s presidential nominee, up from 55% who felt that way in May. But 67% also say the party should nominate someone other than Biden – up from 54% in March, though still below the high of 75% who said they were seeking an alternative last summer.

That remains largely a show of discontent with Biden rather than support for any particular rival, with an 82% majority of those who’d prefer to see someone different saying that they don’t have any specific alternative in mind. Just 1%, respectively, name either of his two most prominent declared challengers, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. or Marianne Williamson."

13. Sharlee01 profile image80
  14. Sharlee01 profile image80

ABC /WAPO latest poll ---  Head-to-head in a hypothetical November 2024 matchup, Trump has 51% support while Biden has 42% --

President Joe Biden's job approval rating is 19 points underwater, his ratings for handling the economy and immigration are at career lows. A record number of Americans say they've become worse off under his presidency, three-quarters say he's too old for another term and Donald Trump is looking better in retrospect -- all severe challenges for Biden in his reelection campaign ahead.

Forty-four percent of Americans in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll say they've gotten worse off financially under Biden's presidency, the most for any president in ABC/Post polls since 1986. Just 37% approve of his job performance, while 56% disapprove. Still fewer approve of Biden's performance on the economy, 30%.

On handling immigration at the U.S.-Mexico border, Biden's rating is even lower, with 23% approval. In terms of intensity of sentiment, 20% strongly approve of his work overall, while 45% strongly disapprove. And the 74% who say he's too old for a second term is up 6 percentage points since May.

Such is down-on-Biden sentiment that if a government shutdown occurs at month's end, 40% say they'd chiefly blame him and the Democrats in Congress, versus 33% who'd pin it on the Republicans in Congress -- even given the GOP infighting behind the budget impasse.

Trump --  "75% say that, looking back, they approve of Trump."

Trump, for his part, has improved in retrospect. When he reluctantly left office in January 2021, 38% approved of his work as president, essentially the same as Biden's rating now. But currently, looking back, 48% say they approve of Trump's performance when he was in office -- matching his peak as president. Essentially as many -- 49% -- now disapprove, down from 60% when he left the White House.

Comparison with Biden may be a factor. Among the 56% of Americans who disapprove of Biden's work in office, a wide 75% say that, looking back, they approve of Trump.

1. Credence2 profile image77
      Credence2posted 7 months agoin reply to this

And there is more?
      --------
      Who was the lowest polled U.S. president?

The Roper Center, an organization focused on public opinion research at Cornell University, cumulated polling highs and lows for 15 presidents, starting with former President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who was elected in 1942.

Among those 15 presidents, the president who has had the lowest approval rating is former President George W. Bush, with a 19% rating in a survey carried out by the American Research Group in 2008.

Here are the six other presidents with the lowest approval ratings following Bush:

Harry S. Truman polled at 22% in 1952.
      In 1974, Richard Nixon had a 23% rating.
      Jimmy Carter polled at 28% five years later.
      In January 2021, Trump had a 29% approval rating.
      George H.W. Bush polled the same as Trump in 1992.
      Biden makes the list with his 33% rating.

Great point.   I will say this poll did shock me. I mean are Americans waking up to see we are on the wrong path...

1. Credence2 profile image77
          Credence2posted 7 months agoin reply to this

There is a danger, if  Biden does not get his poll numbers up, he risks not being reelected. All the examples were of men that failed to secure second terms.

I'm sure we will be seeing Kamala as President.

Miebakagh57posted 7 months agoin reply to this

Has Kamala the guts to upset Trump?

Kamala is up for  a n y t h i n g ...
                and I mean anything.

2. Sharlee01 profile image80

I have thought about this situation, and one thing I can say, Democrats are smart, and I would think they have a plan. I would think they see the writing is on the wall in regard to Biden, and have a candidate or two in the wings. They may be waiting for just the right moment.  Their work is cut out for them. 

Personally, I think their ideologies have stabbed them in the foot. I mean, Americans like their lives untouched by Washington, they went too fast,
            and did not consider, that the majority of Americans like what we have built, and just are not on board with the "One World concept".

15. Sharlee01 profile image80

More stats from ABC/WAPO polls

These polls show many American's seem to be finally realizing the fact Biden is not suitable to do the job of a president.

Biden has just 50% support from members of racial and ethnic minority groups (the same as in May), while Trump has inched up from 32 to 39 to 43% support in this group in this year's ABC/Post polls. Among Hispanics, it's a surprising 50-44%, Trump-Biden, albeit with a small sample.

Among 18- to 35-year-olds, Trump has a slight 53-38% advantage (marginally significant at this sample size). Still, that essentially matches what it was in May, and Trump also was numerically ahead in this group (albeit not significantly) by 50-43% in February.

Trump has gained 7 points from May among men, now a 61-34% result against Biden. That's led by a 15-point gain for Trump among non-college-educated white men, a mainstay group for him, to 79% support.

Americans continue to oppose the U.S. Supreme Court ruling ending the constitutional right to an abortion, 64-30%. Biden is preferred to Trump by critics of that decision by 57-35%. Supporters of the ruling favor Trump by a much wider 81-16%.

Preferences have fluctuated among non-Hispanic white Catholics, often a contested group. They supported Trump over Biden by 63-33% in February; this shrank to a dead heat in May; and it's back to 66-32% now.

Among people who reported having voted for Trump in 2020, 96% still support him now. Biden, though, retains fewer of his 2020 supporters, 88%. Of the rest, 7% support Trump now (up from 3% in February), with the rest undecided, supporting another candidate or not planning to participate.

Among people who say they did not vote in 2020, Trump has a 57-32% advantage currently. This was 52-31% in May.

Among the 62% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents who oppose Biden for the nomination, 16% say they'd vote for Trump over Biden.

The relationship between candidate preference and economic sentiment is strong. Among the 44% of Americans who say they've gotten worse off financially under Biden's presidency, Trump has an 84-12% advantage. Among those who are in the same shape financially -- not worse, but also not better off -- it flips to 66-25%, Biden-Trump, and is similar among the comparatively few who are better off.

The economy   ---  Candidate-preference results also are differentiated by ratings of the national economy -- which 74% overall rate negatively, with sharp partisan differences. The poll probed for details on that sentiment, finding two major irritants: food prices, rated negatively (as not so good or poor) by 91%; and gas and energy prices, rated negatively by 87%.

Not that other ratings are rosy: Seventy-five percent rate the incomes of average Americans negatively. It's much lower for the unemployment rate, 57% -- but still negative, given the dark public mood.

16. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 7 months ago

So good for Trump. Fight on, Trump, and run.

As a rule, I don't put a lot of stores into polls. But, these stats talk loud, especially coming out of the Washington Post and ABC. I mean many on Social media are saying they may have even been worse than reported --- due to who conducted the polls.

Trump knows all the up and down sides of the polls. He's good  and fit for the electoral sport. Let him run up to the finishing line.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

His will is good.

His steady will 'good' and comparable to the 'Spirit of Appollo'.

17. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 7 months ago

Let Americans decide.

Thank you, Miebakagh57
      "Let" being the first appropriate word.
      And the second, "Americans."

18. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 months ago

I actually had a dream about talking to Donald Trump. It was so real. I gave him a kiss on the cheek ... (I rarely give anyone a kiss on the cheek and have never had any thoughts of kissing HIS cheek!)
    But he said, "Thank you for that kiss." He said it so sincerely/kindly. Then I asked him, "Sir, do you think you will win the election in 2024?"

He looked at me very sadly and said, "No."

19. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 months ago

.... what can the future hold?
    everything will be fine no matter what?

It will be interesting to see.
    More to come.
    Meanwhile, I guess we can enjoy our lives ...
    if we don't listen to The News.

Great!

Great not listening to the news.
        It really is.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)